LarMar vs Matchless MV (Vox AC Circuits)

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

inkomodo.dragon
Just the numbers in order: 7

LarMar vs Matchless MV (Vox AC Circuits)

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am

I just wanted to let you all know about my experience using both in my Vox AC15C1.

As you may know from the SCHEMATICS, this amp comes equipped with the Matchless type PPIMV also known as the Cross-Line MV. This is basically a 500k pot between the output of the PI's coupling caps. Its simplicity may be appealing but it has a number of disadvantages and most importantly sounds weird at high levels of attenuation. I don't know about it's performance within other type of circuits but on my AC15 it muddied up the overall sound. The low end gets fartier as you turn it down and if that isn't bad enough you get some weird high end distortion that's not pleasing at all. I just don't get why they keep using it other than the low cost.

I struggled with it for a couple of weeks and then decided to test the LarMar and the difference was night and day. I've used this neat MV on a couple of Marshallesque amps and although it sounds great you get the minor inconvenience of "loosing" your presence control as you attenuate. But since there's no negative feedback on AC type circuits this problem is gone. In my opinion there's no better choice in MV for this kind of amps.

Do yourself a favor and install a LarMar on your AC, your ears will thank you.

CDDESIGN

Re: LarMar vs Matchless MV (Vox AC Circuits)

Post by CDDESIGN » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 pm

I'd also say check out the VVR (variable voltage regulator)from Hall Amplification .

I'm about to start a couple vox style builds and have been researching different master volumes myself. I recently added the larmar PPIMV in a jcm800 build with decent results. I will report back when i get a chance to intall the VVR's in a fixed bias (marshall) and cathode bias(vox) amp.

You can find them here:
http://www.hallamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robert

Post by robert » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 am

Hi,

I would prefer the Hall "Fixed Bias- VVR" ( but only on the screengrids! ) in combination with the LarMar.
BTW: the LarMar PPIMV IMHO sounds a lot better than this strange "Matchless- PPIMV" :palm:

Regards

Robert

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 am

I've tried Dana's VVR implementation in some amps and it worked well but I must admit I didn't spend a lot of time with it.

The LarMar PPIMV was super easy to implement non intrusively and delivered great results so I'm all for it. Eventually I'm going to try the VVR but I don't feel it's needed at the moment.

Having said that, the main reason for this post was to let you guys know that the cross-line MV is a definitive NO in my book.

robert

Post by robert » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:56 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am

I fully agree. I replaced the cross-line master volume in a top boost circuit amp with EL34s, in my Chieftain build and in a Spitfire build with a LarMar PPIMV. In all amps the LarMar was a vast improvement.

Cheers Stephan

brunomariano
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by brunomariano » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

inkomodo.dragon, can you post the schematic of that larmar PPIMV on your AC15?

brunomariano

Post by brunomariano » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 am

inkomodo.dragon wrote:I've tried Dana's VVR implementation in some amps and it worked well but I must admit I didn't spend a lot of time with it.

The LarMar PPIMV was super easy to implement non intrusively and delivered great results so I'm all for it. Eventually I'm going to try the VVR but I don't feel it's needed at the moment.

Having said that, the main reason for this post was to let you guys know that the cross-line MV is a definitive NO in my book.
Can you post the schematic of what you Did?

Thanks!

brunomariano

Post by brunomariano » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi!

For installing a LAr Mar on VOX AC15C1 I must just remove those 220k resistors or put a jumper on their place?

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:04 am

I don't have a schematic for that yet but the steps would be:
  • Remove R81, R82, R86, R89 & VR9
    Solder a wire from C41 & C43 to the CW pins of the Dual 250k Pot (Linear taper works fine)
    Solder a wire from the center pins of the Pot to R65 & R77
    Join both CCW pins and solder a wire from them to the point where R85, R86 & R89 joined
    Remember to solder two 2M2 resistors between each mid point and it's respective CCW pin
Essentially you are wiring the pot as two variable voltage dividers with the coupling caps feeding the input, the screen resistors at the output and grounded through R85.

For more info check the LarMar wiki here at Metroamps

Hope that helps

rupe

Post by rupe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:08 pm

So would it be of benefit to change MV types in a '97 Chieftain? It's an incredible sounding amp but the master seems to serve little purpose...there are no good dirty tones to be had with the master less than half way up. I run it wide open with the pre-volume at 3:00 to get to the goods but its extremely loud with those settings (Clearsonic panels keep the peace with the soundman). This amp would have been better off no master IMO.

inkomodo.dragon

Post by inkomodo.dragon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm not familiar with that particular circuit but if it doesn't have negative feedback you'll be more than happy and the tones you got now will still be available.

It's one of those win win situations...