Will boost/cut work in this FX loop ?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

brk303
Just the numbers in order: 7

Will boost/cut work in this FX loop ?

Post by brk303 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:26 am

I have a Soultone 45ME3 (based on JTM45/Plexi). It has quite a few features such as power scaling and fx loop.
Now, I would like to use a boost or cut pedal in the loop to raise volume for solos (or cut for rhythm), but I'm not sure that will work.
The manual for the amp has the technical data
http://www.soultoneamps.com/FortyFive/d ... Manual.pdf

The relevant part is:
V3 acts as an effects loop buffer tube, adjusting the level of the signal down to effects unit level, matching the impedance
of effects units, with variable send and return level controls. Return instrument feeds are then boosted back up with
another cathode follower, and matching the impedance for the phase inverter stage.
And also this
...control is a Post Phase Inverter Master Volume control,
So with this in mind, will boost in the loop have any effect on volume or will it just result in more drive ?

I am also unsure if I want a boost or cut pedal, as the amp isn't really that loud (in a 2 guitar band) and I sometimes find myself running out of headroom, so I suspect boost won't have much room left to work on.

Any comments are welcome, thanks

brk303

Re: Will boost/cut work in this FX loop ?

Post by brk303 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Well no one wants to help, so I'll help someone else who might stumble here in the future.

First of all, I am no amp expert, but after read various posts on the topic I came up with the following conclusion:

Any amp with PPIMV and FX loop (which for these amps is always before PI) has the following consequences:

The FX Loop is before PI, yet PI introduces plenty distortion so whatever effects you add in the loop will get distorted further in PI and rest of the power section.

Second problem is that loop is before Master volume, so any solo volume boost will just yield more distortion. Similarly if you attempt to cut volume in the loop, it won't lower the volume so much as it will clean up.

This might be a problem if you're not aware of this (like I wasn't before purchasing) and plan to use FX loop for solo boost.

stef

Re: Will boost/cut work in this FX loop ?

Post by stef » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:44 pm