Bedroom Level Jammers...

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Bedroom Level Jammers...

Post by chrisom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:09 pm

I know the topic of bedroom level jammers has been discussed here before, but I can't get over how good the cheap, production model Fender Super Champ XD and Vibro Champ XD amps sound, for anything from bedroom metal at 2am to maybe a moderate level rehearsal, or perfect authentic tone for home studio recording.

I just picked up my 3rd SCXD (for $150) on CraigsList and plugged in my Gibson Faded SG Special. With just the standard 490 humbuckers, I can get convincing Blackface "clean" sounds with voice #4 and neck pickup, and great classic "heavy" British sounds with voice #14, bridge pickup, and the gain on "4". (Scorpions, Judas Priest, AC/DC, early Leppard and Rush...) Bass 10, Treble on 4-7. Coffee-shop-volume early metal/hard rock. Rich and pleasing tube sounds in your living room...

I don't even use the other voicings or effects, I just blend in the onboard 300ms delay to about "4" and that's it. I tested it before I bought it with a late 90's Fender American Stratocaster (with the 2-pivot bridge). I can get convincing sounds of Page, Beck, Gilmour, STP, Angus, and not too bad for VH noodling either. Think Cyber-Supro. Or future modern CLASSIC.

They've been replaced by the X2 series, which I haven't tried yet- way more features I don't want to learn. My Vibro Champ XD is 5-watts, class A, 8" speaker, (1) 6V6. My Super Champ XD amps are 15-watts with a 10" speaker, with a pair of 6V6 tubes. They all sound the same at the same settings (though at a lesser SPL for the VCXD) and sound great through an extension cabinet or through the stock speaker. Some people upgrade to a better or larger speaker but I'm good as is.

If you live in an apartment, this is the amp you need. Yeah, it's mass-produced and disposable, but CHEAP and sounds KICK-ASS if you take time to find the settings for your sound. Incredible value. Where was this amp when I was 17? :thumbsup: :listen: :rock:

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Bedroom Level Jammers...

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Now all you need is this pedal. Forget all of the other BS effects (other than delay) that are built into your amp(s):
*Be sure to listen to the full audio clips*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmYuwm3609Y

AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC1RebQrLZA