DIAZ CD100

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

cfljames

DIAZ CD100

Post by cfljames » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Does anyone else own a version of this amp,or others to compare notes,etc with? I know there are two different styles of these,one of the styles has 6L6'S and the other has two output trannys wired in series w/6550'S which is what Warren Haynes uses,both versions are 100 watters.
Just curious if there are any other Diaz users out there???? :?:
Current :
MARSHALL 1959HW TO 67/68 SUPERBASS
DIAZ CD100 HEAD
DIAZ 4X12/V30/4X12 ANGLE W/GREENBACKS
MARSHALL 4X12 W/CERWIN VEGA ER123 & GH30-H

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: DIAZ CD100

Post by Roe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:37 pm

"There are two types of the CD100 head.The first is the most common which has 4 6l6 & 4 12ax7 with a Fender bassman power trans and a mercury marshall plexi type output trans.This is what I have,although I had Diaz do something he said was needed to run 6550's,which made it more powerful,open with more headroom.
The second version that I have seen at his shop is a version that has two output trannys wired in series,also it may have a stronger mid range value pot that they did on Warren Haynes amp. I have played both and decided that I liked the 6550's and a stronger midrange just because I wanted the same thing Warren has but probrably it was a mojo type chase rather than necessary because I was totally happy with this head from day one.
They are in my IMHO the best amp for that huge thick warm fat lead tone that still has a great amount of clarity and defenition to it.It is my favorite alongside Georges 45/100 replica.People may think I'm nuts but they are fairly similiar at times minus the reverb on the Diaz,verses the 45/100.I guess in the warmth and breakup part they feel similiar although they are altogether different amp they respond in the same fashion,power etc.
I'm somewhat of a Allman Brothers junkie so I got the Diaz for the Warren thing and the early plexi for the Duane type tones.
Last edited by Roe on Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm

I normally would not respond,but I have to ask,"How in the world could you even remotely be confused by that simple of a question". :?
For someone who can find what I wrote a year ago, but not understand my question is just as easily confusing to me :?:
YES !!!! I HAVE OWNED ONE FOR ABOUT TEN YEARS.
Last edited by cfljames on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:55 pm

cfljames wrote:Just curious if there are any other Diaz users out there???? :?:
One of my lifes great regrets was not buying a Diaz CD100 when I had the chance a few years ago. 30th St. Guitars in Manhattan had one that he was letting go super cheap (like $1200), and genius that I was at the time, I figured I'd "think about it overnight". (Dont ask me why... there's no reasonable answer to that).
Its exactly how long it took for someone else to snatch it up.
A killer sounding amp, and according to the tube chart, it basically could take just about any octal based power tube to tailor the amp to the players needs.
A real "DUH" move on my part.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 am

cfljames wrote:I normally would not respond to someone who would go out of there way to bust my balls,But I have to ask."How in the world could you even remotely be confused by that simple of a question". :?
For someone who can find what I wrote a year ago, but not understand a simple question is as easily confusing to me :?:
YES !!!! I HAVE OWNED ONE FOR ABOUT TEN YEARS TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION !!! :roll:
sorry about that. should I delete the post above?
If you have one, why cant you share some info about the circuit?
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 am

fillmore nyc wrote:
cfljames wrote:Just curious if there are any other Diaz users out there???? :?:
One of my lifes great regrets was not buying a Diaz CD100 when I had the chance a few years ago. 30th St. Guitars in Manhattan had one that he was letting go super cheap (like $1200), and genius that I was at the time, I figured I'd "think about it overnight". (Dont ask me why... there's no reasonable answer to that).
Its exactly how long it took for someone else to snatch it up.
A killer sounding amp, and according to the tube chart, it basically could take just about any octal based power tube to tailor the amp to the players needs.
A real "DUH" move on my part.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Wow is that cheap,I wish I paid that for mine but I bought it direct from them and went to Penn to pick it up after it was built.Black Creek in NY just sold one as a combo not to long ago for $6500.00 and it got destroyed by United Package Squashers when it was shipped.
Life's lessons sometimes hurt real bad,but that goes probably to the top of your list ???? OUCH :shock:
Last edited by cfljames on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:03 am

Roe wrote:
cfljames wrote:I normally would not respond to someone who would go out of there way to bust my balls,But I have to ask."How in the world could you even remotely be confused by that simple of a question". :?
For someone who can find what I wrote a year ago, but not understand a simple question is as easily confusing to me :?:
YES !!!! I HAVE OWNED ONE FOR ABOUT TEN YEARS TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION !!! :roll:
sorry about that. should I delete the post above?
If you have one, why cant you share some info about the circuit?

If you want to remove it you can,that is your decision not mine? I was just curious as to why you would lash out like that to another forum member? so I responded as such.
I would be glad to show or help you in any way that I could,this is why I joined this forum as opposed to others that always turned into a giant pissing match :o
Apology accepted :P
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:19 am

sorry I didn't intent to create any pissing match. I didn't foresee that my comments could convey that impression. but then again, English is not my first language.

It would be nice if we could analyse the circuit. Do you think its managable to recreate these amps?
A gut shot or a layout would be absolutely great.
Last edited by Roe on Mon May 03, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:11 am

Guitar player wrote this:

Cesar Diaz built his reputation repairing amps for players such as Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Now he's making a full line of amplifiers for us mere mortals. At three grand, the CD-100 is no everyman’s amp. This is a simple single-channel affair with a sparse selection of features (built-in reverb, a half-power switch). The EQ section consists of high- and low-EQ controls; no mid knob is Included, although most of us would like to see one on an amp this expensive.
The Diaz’ circuit layout looks similar to that of a single-channel Twin Reverb. We noticed lots of new-old-stock parts—that is, never-before-used parts manufactured some years ago—in­cluding a power transformer for a Fender Bass-man 70. The amp is handwired, and it looks like a lot of time was spent building it. The tubes mount to the chassis, and the components are adequately shielded. The cabinet is covered with classy green Tolex, which looks stunning in con­junction with the red front panel.
We got excellent blues tones out of the CD­-100. It sounds like a hard-working Fender combo only about twice as loud. This amp's con­siderable gain Is perfect for generating fat, over-driven leads and crunchy tough rhythm tones. The reverb sounds big and spacious, though It was a little too wet for many of our testers’ tastes, even at minimal settings. This amp isn’t especially versatile, but if you long for righteous blues tones at excruciating volume, few amps can match the guts of the Diaz.

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Roe wrote:sorry I didn't intent to create any pissing match. I didn't foresee that my comments could convey that impression. but then again, English is not my mother language.

It would be nice if we could analyse the circuit. Do you think its managable to recreate these amps?
A gut shot or a layout would be absolutely great.
Its all cool Roe :lol: !!!!!! I don't know how easy it would be to duplicate????
They are still being made from the remaining team at Diaz if your interested in ever getting one???
I have a good relationship with them and am not 100% sure if he would like me to display his amp layout on this forum without prior permission ? That may sound silly to some but it's not my call,So I will have to get back to you on that one.They are too nice of people to piss off and ruin a friendship over,but I'll ask for you.
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 pm

cfljames wrote: Wow is that cheap,I wish I paid that for mine but I bought it direct from them and went to Penn to pick it up after it was built.Black Creek in NY just sold one as a combo not to long ago for $6500.00 and it got destroyed by United Package Squashers when it was shipped.
Life's lessons sometimes hurt real bad,but that goes probably to the top of your list ???? OUCH :shock:
That makes my "Duh" move on that amp even worse, Cfl. The amp I lost WAS a 2-10 combo.
Not buying it on the spot was SO stupid, I dont even like to think about it.
:x :x :x :x

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 am

fillmore nyc wrote:
cfljames wrote: Wow is that cheap,I wish I paid that for mine but I bought it direct from them and went to Penn to pick it up after it was built.Black Creek in NY just sold one as a combo not to long ago for $6500.00 and it got destroyed by United Package Squashers when it was shipped.
That makes my "Duh" move on that amp even worse, Cfl. The amp I lost WAS a 2-10 combo.
Not buying it on the spot was SO stupid, I dont even like to think about it.
:x :x :x :x
I am just as ill over this story as you are,this also means that this is even more rare being I never even seen a 2x10 in a CD100 Format,just 2x12's.
OUCHHHHH :cry:
Current :
DIAZ CD100 HEAD

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:41 am

cfljames wrote:I am just as ill over this story as you are,this also means that this is even more rare being I never even seen a 2x10 in a CD100 Format,just 2x12's.
OUCHHHHH :cry:
In red tolex, no less. Im gonna go now so I can puke in the comfort of my own bathroom.
:oops: :oops:

fuzz-o-rama

Post by fuzz-o-rama » Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm the current lucky one who has that Diaz CD-100 who's been squashed by UPS from the USA to here in Ajaccio, Corsica Island.
Actually, only the panel that supports the chassis has been broken through the attachment screws and the the chassis fell into the cabinet. Only the power tubes has exploded. I've replaced the panel with a nice piece of pine with the original tolex.

Should I mention that UPS didn't take for granted my claim, saying that the amp wasn't well packaged.
Black Creek Guitars crew did a good pro package, however.

I eventually bought it $4500 (not their 2007 hetfy tag = $7795!)
I guess they weren't hurry to sell it back then.

Here's a description (photographs on request) :

2x stamped date = "ENTERED NOV.10 1994"
"SAMBORA I" handwritten on the chassis

No effect loop option, the pedal boost plugs on the "IN" of the effect loop.
The amp works only on 110/120 Volts.
The speakers are original english Celestion Vintage 30
There are mid-boost & bass cut push-pull.
From the tag, the amp should works as well on 6V6GT or 6L6WGB
The current tubes are : '86 Philips ECG 6L6WGB - '68 Mullard ECC83 I63 - '62 RCA 12AX7A - '70 GE 12AT7WC - '71 Amperex/Mullard 12AU7 (Reverb) (I buy them from Steve Melkisethian's Angela.com - great support!)

This is by far the best amplifier I ever own/tried/dreamt... "The Tone curve is sooo perfect" Clean bottom - crunchy tops - midrange hump

The bottom end is huge and stays tight. The tops are no ear shattering! PERFECTLY voiced!

It can be cleaner than the Classic Twin to the overdriven Soldano SLO100 tone and all points in between.

In fact, It gives you your own unique sound, very dynamic touch sensitive, infinite warm sweet sustain (even a low volume) = acts like a rainbow!
It's hard to talk about overdriven or clean amp, a lot of harmonics generate here! Like several amps hooked together.
(Matchless amps generate too much harmonics to my taste, it's a great store demo amp, though..)

The reverb is short, not deep as on Fender amps. I guess it's essentially here to give one more preamp stage.
That's the trick Guitar Player's testers didn't noticed when the reviewed the amp on 1994!

Pedal-friendly, this amp really shines through 4x12 too!
Powerful, more tightness, body, definition.... than my '68 Black Flag, '71 & '72 Super Leads.

Although, I'm playing with vintage Strats, I must confess this amp is a perfect match with humbuckers guitars. I think that's what it was made for = humbuckers.
The bass-cut works great for these. Full bodied sound for power chords. Not muddy at all.

I could talk hours about this amp...

I'm running my own recording studio, that's my 4th Diaz amp (P-XX, CD-30, Classic Twin, Vibramaster)
and what seems important to me to say is that they all have that same overdrive touch EACH at different volume!

P.S. to Mr cfljames, do you still have the green 4x12? I missed your ebay auction last september...
I would dream to buy it.

Kevin Coucoravas
'58-'63 Pro-Amp ; '60 6G8 Twin-Amp
'68 Black Flag SL w/1960 A/B Cabinet
'72 SL w/ 2054A/B Cabinets
Diaz amps & vintage lefty Strats

Roe

Post by Roe » Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm

these appear to be quite simple circuits. would have liked to build one. but its hard to find info

looks like a bf twin without tremolo and normal channel and a few tweaked values