Guitar Pickups

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

dad99_2000

Guitar Pickups

Post by dad99_2000 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:58 pm

I was Just wondering what kind of pickups you guys use I am using two burstbuckers 2 but I think I need something with more mids these have none they are all treble which is fine for lower volumes but with my marshall superlead cranked it is ear splitting no mids at all.

What would you guys use I love the jimmy page live tone Since Ive been loving you Black Dog on the DVD I know that gibson put out a burstucker pro that I guess uses Alinco 5 not 2 which gets more midrange

It seems Like Jimmy's tone is all midrange but very unique

Thoughts

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:19 pm

I use EMG 85s in the neck and 81s in the bridge on all my Les Pauls(all my guitars actually for that matter). These pickups are active pickups, meaning that they have a booster preamp built into the pickup for a much hotter output than you could get from a standard passive pickup. These sound much like a PAF, but with a built in clean boost since I like to push my amp harder than I can with a passive.

However, you might either want to try a Lindy Fralin or I've also heard good reports of the Seymour Duncan '59s. Page's tone I think relies on lots of headroom and low output pickups so EMGs wouldn't be for you.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Bluesbishop

Pick Ups

Post by Bluesbishop » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:17 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of Lindy Fralin pickups. 8K neck, 9K Bridge. Vintage Guitar Magazine Did a "test" with these, several pickups, and some Old Paf's...and the Fralins won! They Run about $120.00 each, but sometimes you can find them on Ebay cheaper.

I'm a HUGE Page fan myself, seen Zeppplin twice in my life, and seen Page and Plant 4 times, with the last show in Second Row!!!!! I play a Les Paul standard with Fralins into a Early 70's Marshall...and it screams Page all the way. I 've heard many good things about Voodoo Pickups...BUT for a great pickup for your buck...the SD '59 for around $69.00 is hard to beat....sounds very good, and will get you very close to the vintage tone.

Just remember, that Page DID NOT use EL34 loaded marshall's ( Page Used 6550's/ KT88's) , and he had some custom wiring done to his pickups.

Hope this helped :-)

Ken

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:50 pm

I've been really happy with the Rio Grande's I've got in the bridge spots on my Gibsons -- a BBQ 'Bucker in my SG and a Genuine Texas Humbucker in my Paul. The BBQ was too thick in the Paul, sounds better in the slightly less bottom-heavy SG. Vice versa on the Texas -- keeps the Paul from getting too boomy and mushy, not enough thickness in the SG.
Still looking for that truly perfect rhythm slot 'bucker though, right now my 20-year old DiMarzio PAF's are back in the saddle.

dad99_2000

Post by dad99_2000 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:50 pm

SH-1 '59 Model Pickup is just a PAF type but is'nt that what the burstbuckers are too I bought mine for 120 each and these SH-1 are 70 bucks each :( mmmmmm I don't know what to do

Can anything be done to the amp to get some more mids???

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:11 pm

I have BurstBucker Pro's in my 2002 Les Paul and i nail the Jimmy Page sound. You just have to have your amp/guitar dialed in right. My pickups are only at 8.1K and 8.5K. I'm not really a fan of high output pickups because i don't like the way they sound clean. I know George has had his hands on some VooDoo's, which i hear are the best PAF reproduction out there. I'll have to hear those sometime, but otherwise my BurstBucker Pro's OWN damnit!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

dad99_2000

Post by dad99_2000 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:58 am

what kind Of pedals do you guys have

Most of the time its guitar right into the amp How many people do that :twisted: I dont like dancing while I play I have so much trouble getting a wah to come on and turn off it's sad I do like my phase though

I have a MXR phase 90 (modded back to script logo)
Boss Ch-1 Super Chours this thing sounds like crap in any amp And forget about running with distortion ouch the harshest thing you have ever heard

I really need a WAH Pedal and a Bow :D

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:47 am

Pedals? What are those? :lol: 8)

I just use a Vox V847 Wah and a Line 6 chorus unit. Other than that it's straight into the amp with the amp dimed out on a Power Brake with the Metro Mod(installed by me).

Jon

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:48 am

A have some pedals, but i hate to use them. I use a the ole' classic Vox-Wah and when i want more tube gain i use a Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor pedal. I try and just use two effects at the most because the more you add the more you tone is screwed and you end up playing footsie too much with your pedals. I'll have to admit though, i do have a violin bow but it's been a while since i used that.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:45 am

Duncan Antiquities are my favorite PAF type pickup (other than a PAF!). They get that classic tone.

One thing about Page - he was known to use various Treble boosters and fuzz boxes. So you might want to try a boost pedal to really get some of the tones he got.

If you want more Mids you might try a Duncan JB (as in Jeff Beck) in the bridge position. I really like these for the mids. A great rock tone.

Richard

dad99_2000

Post by dad99_2000 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:12 pm

What is the difference between 2 conductor vs 4 conductor pick ups I would think you cant do all the in and out phase and single swicthing.

George I got the tubes the JJ's wow I like these better then the EH thanks any news on why they have been failing? :?

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:33 pm

The JJs are PURE ROCK N ROLL!!!

(In the voice of Butthead)...There is none other...uh...huh

In regards to the pickup question, no difference at all! The 4 conductor pickups just give you the option of being able to do the "out of phase" wiring and the hum/single switch mods and stuff whereas the 2 conductor pickups just allow one wiring mode.

Jon

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:11 pm

Has anyone tried Seymour Duncan's Seth Lover PAF style humbuckers? I've heard some real good things about they from a friend at work.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:04 pm

Okay guys, this is really confusing me. When i check out reviews on Harmony Central for the Seymour Duncan Antiquity '59s, there are a whole lot of mixed bagged opinions going around. It almost seems that it's either a love or hate thing going around. I'd like to hear a sound clip of these pickups through a plexi. Seymour does have clips, but the amp that they use is obviously some gainy piece of garbage.

If these pickups aren't all they seem to be, i'll think i'll stick with the BurstBuckers. I have had nothing else except good tone from the BurstBucker Pro's. The one thing i wanna try out with these is custom ordering 4 conductor pickups so i can do coil-tapping. Coil-tapping is one of those features that i absolutely envy PRS for having. I don't care how fat the tone is, those guitars will never have that classic sound they claim to have at times. If i can get those BurstBucker Pro's with coil-tapping, i'll be a force to be reconned with.

DO YOU HEAR ME YOU PRS DOUCHES!!

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:56 pm

Duncan Antiquities are the closest thing to a real PAF I've heard. The Burstbuckers sound good, but the Antiquities are better (IMHO). THat's what I have in my '59 RI Les Paul and it just sings.

Oh and BTW - PRS Guitars are great. They aren't Les Pauls and don't claim to be. Even the PRS Singlecut is squarely aimed at a Nu-Metal crowd, unlike the more conservative Les Paul. My main stage guitar is a PRS McCarty because I can get a lot of great sounds from it and the build quality is better than most Gibson Custom shop guitars I've seen.
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...