speakers for Metro 100 watter?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

edwardz

Post by edwardz » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:18 pm

Just kidding anyway.. :lol:

So will jerking tubes and using a brake help protect me from frying two G12H 30 watters in a 2x12 with a 100 watt head?

I'm no Thomas Edison, but I don't know why that wouldn't work..

Spanks!

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:13 pm

Actually, with the Power Brake limiting power output from the amp, you won't need to pull 2 tubes! Just hook up the brake, crank the amp and set the volume level with the stepping switch on the brake!

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

edwardz

Post by edwardz » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:39 pm

I guess pulling tubes would be overkill, but I definitely don't want to be blowing any speakers out. I'm sure the guys I play with will let me know if I get that kind of volume going anyway...

I can't play my amps on "11".. :lol:

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:18 pm

YES YOU CAN!!!

Just so you know, a 100 watt Marshall when fully dimed puts out WELL over 100 watts(mine put out about 160 across a 16 ohm dead resistive load when fully cranked with a 100mV input signal). However, the Power Brake's job is to take most of that power and dissipate it as heat, then only send some of it to the speakers. Depending on where you have the stepping switch on the brake set is gonna determine how much power you feed into the speakers.

Now remember that the power gets split between the two speakers, so that if you have 2 speakers with, say, 50 watts going into the cab, each speaker will only see 25 of it.

Just be careful where you set the Power Brake and you should be fine. However, I feel that these Metro 100 watters sound the best through a full stack so I ordered a basketweave replica cab from George and some Celestion G12H-30s with lead cones(70th Anniversary Series) for the cab since my '73 straight cab converted to basketweave has the original G12H-30 Greenbacks with bass cones in it. Right now I'm just running the single straight cab until m replica cab comes in, which should be in a couple days since it shipped yesterday.

Now keep in mind that playing through a cranked Marshall vice a pedal is a completely different animal. Unlike a pedal, where if you're loud without the band playing you're gonna be loud WITH the band playing, the amp HAS to be loud when the band isn't playing because once the band starts playing a lot of the guitar will be drowned out. So I usually run the brake on the 6th click from off, and when the band isn't playing it's louder than shit, but once the band starts playing, it blends in perfectly so just keep that in mind.

Jon

Bluesbishop

G12H'S

Post by Bluesbishop » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:49 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of the G12H, great tone. The best prices I've found for them have been from Dave at Avatar speakers, Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary Special $84 ea + 8 ea shipping......Case of four $ 329 plus $29 shipping. available 8 ohm or 16 ohm.

I would listen to Jon, use the G12h's and a Powerbrake.

Ken

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:10 pm

WOW! All this coming from a guy who daily PRAYS that I switch to passive pickups! LOL 8) :lol:

No, in all seriousness, Avatar is EXACTLY where I got them! George recommended them and yes, a case of (4) 16 Ohm G12H-30s goes for $329 + $29 shipping. If you look anywhere else, these bad boyz sell for about $120 a pop! So get them from Avatar.

The reason I went with the G12H-30s is 1)I heard the G12M-25s in one of George's cabs and they fart out too much in the low end and cause a lot of low end breakup and 2) My original '73 cab has the original G12H-30 Greenbacks w/bass cones still in it, so I wanted the make and model of speaker to match up! However, the bottom cab has bass G12H-30s and the top will have lead G12H-30s, so that's gonna be interesting to hear how that sounds. I'm thinking the tone will be more balanced.

Just in case you're wondering the difference between lead and bass cones, the bass cones have a 55Hz Bass Resonance whereas the lead cones have a 75Hz Bass Resonance.

Jon

edwardz

Post by edwardz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:24 am

I'm definitely considering the G12Hs.. The other option I'm considering is getting a couple 50 watt Weber Silver Bells for the 2x12 and later getting G12Hs or Silver Bells for a 4x12. I'm not really crazy about buying any Celestions made in China. I have a Weber in a Deluxe Reverb that I really like, so I don't have any major problem with trying out some in a 2x12. I also like the idea that they are made in Indiana and the plexis are made in Michigan (both pretty damn close to my home base).
Maybe I'm just a patriotic redneck..

Either way, I can definitely see a power brake in the future too. I want to get away from the Keeley mods and ToneBone I've been using with Fenders. I'm after some Allman Bros. kinda sounds, and the Fenders are close, but no cigar..

My biggest concern is how frequently I will have to change my pants after I get on of these badass plexis..

:lol:

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:07 am

Just play naked! Then you won't have any problem!

Of course, a naked chick to compliment that situation would be a DEFINITE "BONE" us!

Now THAT'S Rock N' Fuckin' Roll!!! 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

Jon

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:29 am

That was naughty Jon. And almost EVIL!!........Mua ha ha ha ha... mua ha ha ha ha ha............................................mua ha ha ha hah!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:50 pm

NOTHING screams "ROCK IS COCK" like THESE do! 8) 8)

Jon

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:14 pm

I remeber when i first got mine into my speaker cabinet and was surprised how much more they made those cabs a pain in the ass. But why am i complaining? These speakers RULE!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Hassan Chop

Post by Hassan Chop » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:53 am

edwardz wrote:Anybody else out there tried a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog?
I have a homemade cabinet with 4 Weber ceramic Blue Dogs in it. (I think they're the 35-watt ones.) It's a rather bright, crispy sound, being driven by my stock '93 Plexi Re-Issue. Sounds like old Dokken or Jake E. Lee on "Ultimate Sin." (That might be too bright and "present" for you, if you're into the "southern rock," Mollyhatchet, Blackfoot kind of sound.) Also, I haven't gotten that much time blasting through them, maybe 4 or 6 hours total; they might mellow out a bit after more high-volume use. (Further, that bright sound is exactly what I was after, so that's how I set my amp. They're good at getting it.)

Hopefully this isn't too vague to be of any use to you.
I knew we should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque!

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:27 am

Edwardz,

I'm also a big Duane Allman fan. And Warren Haynes, too. (And Derek Trucks, and EC, and...you get the idea.)

If you really want that "Duane Allman" tone, why not consider finding some old JBL D-120s. They would certainly handle your amp and those dustcovers look cool through a Marshall grill. Here's another tidbit you might not know...Duane's 4x12s were converted to 2x12s with one half a back on them, so they weren't fully sealed. That is what created the Fillmore East tone (well, and Duane's hands!). So G12H-30s aren't going to get you Duane's tone, but will get you a Free/Zep/Bad Company type tone. D-120s do not sound like either Greenbacks or G12H-30s when pushed but do sound really fine. A D120 is a smoother sounding speaker clean.

Warren does seem to like V30s. I do too. That is the one constant in my gigging amps.
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...

edwardz

Post by edwardz » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:45 am

Yeah, I knew that Duane used the JBL D120Fs and also knew about his cabs being half open backed. I'm not really sure if I want to go that route. I've asked Ted Weber if he's thought about making a D120F copy. He says he'd need to re-tool to be able to make them, but he would probably make them sometime...

How do you like the V30s? I really dig Warren's tone, very wide open and meaty. Are you using them with a plexi? Right now I'm debating on either getting a pair of 50 watt Weber Silver Bells or a pair of V30s (or their Weber equivalent). I really wish I could compare the two side by side, but if Ted Weber ever does make D120F copies, I'll probably spring for them..

Too many choices. :lol:

edwardz

Post by edwardz » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:49 am

Ted Weber did suggest that I try his Californias to get more of a D120F tone. I oughta just get in the car and drive to Indiana right now!

Maybe not. :lol:

My Super Reverb reissue is on ebay right now. I sure hope the price jumps a little before the auction ends. That $ is going towards a Metro plexi. :)