Cornford MK50H II clean channel low-end?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

67Mopar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Cornford MK50H II clean channel low-end?

Post by 67Mopar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Would anyone happen to have any advice on lowering the bass response on my Cornford MK50H II clean channel? Thinking about it - it might benefit more by increasing the mids and highs. While I'm playing through the clean channel, I have to run the tone controls at 10 for mid and treble and 1 for the bass. I'm not the first to mention this either, as the guitarist for 39 Stripes said the same thing. We're hearing this as "too much bass", but I think the clean channel lacks mids and highs. :scratch:

joey

Re: Cornford MK50H II clean channel low-end?

Post by joey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:35 pm

67Mopar wrote:Would anyone happen to have any advice on lowering the bass response on my Cornford MK50H II clean channel? Thinking about it - it might benefit more by increasing the mids and highs. While I'm playing through the clean channel, I have to run the tone controls at 10 for mid and treble and 1 for the bass. I'm not the first to mention this either, as the guitarist for 39 Stripes said the same thing. We're hearing this as "too much bass", but I think the clean channel lacks mids and highs. :scratch:

I don't think you will get too many public responses, because alot of people do not have the schematic, or know a great deal about the cornford stuff - they are not the easiest to come by here. I could help, but not knowing what the exact topology consists of is a great hindrance.

67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:00 am

joey wrote:
67Mopar wrote:Would anyone happen to have any advice on lowering the bass response on my Cornford MK50H II clean channel? Thinking about it - it might benefit more by increasing the mids and highs. While I'm playing through the clean channel, I have to run the tone controls at 10 for mid and treble and 1 for the bass. I'm not the first to mention this either, as the guitarist for 39 Stripes said the same thing. We're hearing this as "too much bass", but I think the clean channel lacks mids and highs. :scratch:

I don't think you will get too many public responses, because alot of people do not have the schematic, or know a great deal about the cornford stuff - they are not the easiest to come by here. I could help, but not knowing what the exact topology consists of is a great hindrance.
Understood. Thanks! PM sent...

soundguruman

Post by soundguruman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:22 pm

to change the bass response of a tube input stage, reduce the value of the cathode bypass capacitor. For example, if you make it .68uf, you will not get squat for low bass response. And if you make it 2.2uf, you will get some response down below 100 cps. If you make it 25uf, then it will go down way low, Joe.

67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:06 am

soundguruman wrote:to change the bass response of a tube input stage, reduce the value of the cathode bypass capacitor. For example, if you make it .68uf, you will not get squat for low bass response. And if you make it 2.2uf, you will get some response down below 100 cps. If you make it 25uf, then it will go down way low, Joe.
I think I may actually just need to bring some mids and highs out of it. Running a Fender Strat through the clean channel is fine, but it's a bit too dark for a humbucker setup. I almost sounds muffled? Do resistors play any part in tone, or is it just the capacitors?

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:23 am

67Mopar wrote: Do resistors play any part in tone, or is it just the capacitors?
Actually it's both. Every resistor and cap has its function in the amp. This is why it is best to discuss any potential changes on the basis of the schematic. Otherwise it is pure speculation.

Cheers Stephan

67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:03 am

darkbluemurder wrote:
67Mopar wrote: Do resistors play any part in tone, or is it just the capacitors?
Actually it's both. Every resistor and cap has its function in the amp. This is why it is best to discuss any potential changes on the basis of the schematic. Otherwise it is pure speculation.

Cheers Stephan
There is no chance whatsoever in obtaining a schematic for a Cornford amp. Martin Kidd will do mods if you take your amp to him... Obviously this is out of the question for Cornford owners not living in England. :bang:

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am

Well, then the only option you have is to post high resolution pictures of the amp's guts so that it is possible to (partly) reverse engineer the schematic and take it from there.

Cheers Stephan

67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:13 pm

darkbluemurder wrote:Well, then the only option you have is to post high resolution pictures of the amp's guts so that it is possible to (partly) reverse engineer the schematic and take it from there.

Cheers Stephan
Understood. I would first need to get permission from Paul Cornford and Martin Kidd before posting pics publicly.

robert

Post by robert » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Strange :palm:
It's your amp, youv'e paid for it an you can do with it what you want. You can even photograph it :idea:

Regards

Robert

chameleon

Post by chameleon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Maybe just adding a Cap on the gain pot (treble bypass cap) will work. You can try some values, from 50pF to 1000pF to find the right one for your needs. Put it from the input to the central pin of the pot. The 3rd pin of the pot should remain grounded, you should not connect anything here. This Cap will bypass the higher freqs and the bigger the value, the more mids you'll get.
chameleon