Celestions in a Super Reverb?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

SteadyEddie
Just the numbers in order: 7

Celestions in a Super Reverb?

Post by SteadyEddie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:15 pm

Recently I replaced the Celestion G10L-35s in my 1965a cabinet with G10 greenbacks ... love them.
So I was thinking about my old Super Reverb. I'd like to use it with an A/B switch with my Marshall rig ... Marshall for dirt, Fender for Clean... But the Fender has heavy-ass Eminence Ragin Cajun speakers.
What about putting those Celestion G10L-35s in the Fender? Seems kind of wrong ... British speakers in an American amp. But it would lighten up the amp considerably ... would they sound good? Seems like Celestions would want a closed back cab to handle the bass?

AustinTx

Re: Celestions in a Super Reverb?

Post by AustinTx » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:53 am

My Marshall alnico 4x12s are open back, 1/3 open, 2/3 closed..sound great that way,
maybe not a good idea for metal guys. If the impedance allows you to plug the super reverb
into a marshall cab or a marshall head into the super's 4 10s..check it out you might dig it.

Trower plugged fender heads into marshall cabs for many of his early years, and early
marshall clean tones can be very fenderish since the circuits are almost the same.

Get the impedance right and keep the speaker wattage ratings in
mind..so you don't fry precious gear for the sake of an experiment.
Austin Texas
http://www.doug-morrison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Delvis

Post by Delvis » Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm

I played one at Invisible Sound studios in Baltimore with celestions....It sounded pretty damn good! Not sure of the model, but I'm sure if you call them, they'd tell you. They're a good bunch of guys

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 am

I have 2 - Tone Tubby Alnico Hempcone 10"s, and 2 - Tone Tubby Ceramic Hempcone 10"s in a Fender BFSR amp which is a very good sounding amp. The speakers are in a X pattern and give me a excellent balance of low to highs and everything in between. Tone Tubby Hempcone speakers can be a little bit warm sounding at first but after many hours of play they have "opened up". I still get great Fender cleans, but probably a little more headroom because of the 2 ceramics, even though I'm still using a tube rectifier section. Normally I'm a purist when it comes to these issues Fender speakers in Fender amps, and Celestion speakers in Marshall amps, and one of the reasons I changed the speakers in this amp were a motley amalgam of speaker types anyway. I already own another Fender BFSR amp with all four stock ceramic Fender speakers, so this project allowed me some leverage to try something different i.e. not Celestion and not Fender speaker types. I'm very glad I did. :thumbsup:

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 am

To my knowledge, these clips are a wonderful representation of what a BF Super Reverb sounds through a Marshall stack - take a listen to the clips here - there are various sets and the top ones (darker grey background) have the BF and Marshall stack going on.

http://www.leosounds.de/EN/sounddemos_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds very nice, balanced and quite versatile to me - a good combo.