Fender Blues Deville 4x10 Problem

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

AtomicPunk91
Just the numbers in order: 7

Fender Blues Deville 4x10 Problem

Post by AtomicPunk91 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey everyone, have a little problem with one of my amps and would appreciate a little help diagnosing the problem.

I was playing my 1994 Fender Blues Deville 4x10 today and after I let the amp warm up I was gradually easing into higher volumes. At about 5 1/2 the amp got really buzzy sounding and then slowly died. The power was still on and the tubes were still lit up. There was a slight smell of something burning at the back of the amp (blown fuse?)

I unhooked the speakers and plugged the amp into a speaker cab to see if my speakers had gone out; still no sound from the amp, so I think the speakers are fine. All the inputs are fine, no dirty contacts or anything.

There is still a very faint signal coming from the speakers when a guitar is plugged in.

I am thinking I blew a fuse or one of my preamp tubes has gone bad.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

bluesbreaking
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Fender Blues Deville 4x10 Problem

Post by bluesbreaking » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:08 pm

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like a blown output transformer to me. Same thing happened to one of my amps during a show: playing loudly, then suddenly it goes quiet with a burning smell. I was still able to play it, but it was extremely quiet and sounded pretty bad. I had to get the OT replaced, which wasn't that big a deal, but still a pain.