Blackstar HT-5R or HT-1R

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Steve Mavronis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Blackstar HT-5R or HT-1R

Post by Steve Mavronis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Gah help!! I can't decide if I want the 5 watt Blackstar HT-5R or 1 watt HT-1R/H as my next home practice amp. Since they have separate gain and volume controls can 5W be tamed into great low volume tones or should I just get the 1 watt version and lose the 3-band EQ and footswitch? I would like the 5W combo because it has a 12" speaker and 3-band EQ too but afraid it would be too loud for a bedroom practice amp. Otherwise the little 1W combo has an 8" speaker, or get the 1W head version and a 1x12 cab - but they are pushing the 4x8 "matching" cab for this head but not sure how it would sound compared to a 1x12. My current 15 watt solid state combo amp has an 8" speaker and sounds ok but I only run it half volume. This is my first foray into the tube amp world.
Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Blackstar HT-5R or HT-1R

Post by julkke » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 am

The 5 watter is probably better for you. Not too loud for home use since it has the master volume. But, go try them out and see what you like!

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 am

The HT-5R is more full featured, but other HT-5 owners on forums and YouTube are telling me it will be too loud for decent home use at bedroom or living room volumes - even though is has a so-called 'master volumer' but not really. There should be a separate master volume knob besides the regular volume. My solid state Marshall MG15FX (series-4) has all that and sounds great for what it is but I want authentic tube sounds. It would be nice having that or a 1W-1/4W selector switch like the Vox AC4TV has but I don't want Vox tones and I hate amps that aren't black tolex, LOL. I'm willing to spend $450 on an HT-5R combo. Instead the way it's looking unless Blackstar updates the HT series I'll be spending $300 for the HT-1R combo. I wish the HT-1R had a 1 knob EQ along side the ISF amp character knob, that would be great. The HT-1R also needs an overdrive channel LED, no excuse for that and it's so simple to do. Will Blackstar announce updated versions of the HT series amps at the upcoming NAMM show? I don't know but at the HT-1R combo price point plus overall it is still one of the best deals for a 1W tube home practice amp besides any shortcomings it may have.
Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 am

What about those Marshall 1-watters?

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

Nice but $800 no way!

In my amp search I came across the $400 Laney Cub12R single channel 1x12 based on a classic Marshall 2203 design with 5 tubes, effects loop, reverb, tone (presence), 3-band EQ, gain, volume and has 2 inputs: 15W and .75W which seemed like a great deal until I realized it had no headphone jack for silent practicing. And the footswitch jack is only there to toggle the reverb. I'm not a fan though of the trapeziodal speaker opening in the case. Tempted though...

crowhue

Post by crowhue » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 am

The latest HT-1R that Im getting in seems to have gone down hill sound-wise in the last 12 months and a few reliability problems have happened (Im a dealer btw). The HT5 has been consistently good so that would be my choice. It sounds alot more convincing at low volumes and has loads more headroom for clean sounds. The HT1 breaks up very quickly - OK if thats your preference.
Guitar Effects Pedals. Improve your tone.