Fender 5F8a build

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

badfinger

Fender 5F8a build

Post by badfinger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,

Not posted here for a while, but i do like to drop in to see the latest builds.

I am mainly a Marshall guy, but fancied something different, so here it is my 5F8A build

Hope you enjoy the pics

neikeel

Re: Fender 5F8a build

Post by neikeel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Very nice indeed.

I have contemplated something like this (or a low powered twin) but too many other things (mainly Marshally) get in the way.

Whose cab/kit etc?
Neil

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by axeman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Wow, Pro Builder.

badfinger

Post by badfinger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi, Thanks for your kind comments.

The cabinet is from AF custom cabinets in the UK, its pretty awesome. Pine, finger jointed and laquered. Mark at AF is a first class guy to deal with. Highly reccomended!

Chassis and transformers are Mojotone. Rest of the parts were sourced here and there as funds allow

Eyelet boards are my own, Marshallesque 3mm thick cotton phenolic, stuffed with Jupiters and Allen Bradleys, and of course cloth wireing throughout.

Its pretty quiet, just a little hiss from the Carbon comps, but not excessive, and thankfully no breakfast cereal noises! Hum is non existant. I did use a Marshall style grounding scheme, with a pot bus, no brass plate. Mains and screens have a seperate ground wires to chassis as does the Transformer center taps. Everything else on the bus.

I did contemplate the low power twin, but thought it may not have enough grunt, me being used to 100W Marshalls and all.
Even though the High power twins circuit is very familiar to us Marshall guys it does IMO sound and feel very different to your typical Marshall.

My first bash at a 6L6 amp, and i must say its very enjoyable to play,

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 am

Now that's a very sweet tweed twin amp with very nice component selection like TAD GZ34 ala Mullard GZ34, TAD 6L6GC-STR RCA-Style black-plate tubes, two Celestion Gold 12"s etc. I own a rare early 60' to 61' Blonde Showman head which is basically a Blonde Twin circuit. When connected through a 4x12" cab, it's still that great Fender sound, just more of it. I'm reminded of the Fender Blonde Showman pic inside the sleeve of the album "Wings Over America" by Paul McCartney with Jimmy McCulloch guitarist, playing an SG through Blonde Fender Showman heads coupled to Marshall 1959 Super Lead heads.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBe1-gvc7fg[/youtube]

badfinger

Post by badfinger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi I thought i would post a little update on this amp, i have to say its sounds absolutley fantastic! and has become my go to amp.
I am sure a lot of its appeal is just down to the speakers, the Celestion golds have a thickness and lower midrange punch thats hard to live without. On top of this they have a real dynamic thwack that responds to your pick, yet remains superbly sweet sounding, never hard or harsh, even under high gain.

Happy bunny!

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i am sure there must be somebody out there who would like to donate a quad of golds for my JTM100???