1956 Bassman purchase

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: 1956 Bassman purchase

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 pm

bluze81 wrote:The caps are yellow astron.I have cheked them for leakage and they are good, Will replace bias supply caps and other two on board, did do the all filter caps and does sound better, still have a distortion on low end both channels, Some noise at inputs,I retensioned all tube sockets and used deoxit cleaner ,it helped but still noisy,any help is welcomed, thank you, Steve
Could be carbon comp resistors that are noisy and out of tolerance. Cathode resistors maybe?

wyatt

Post by wyatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am

Yeah, I would check any number of resistors.

Plate resistors throughout (fried plate resistors usually produce a bacon sizzling noise)

Any resistors in complimentary to the power tubes (they bake).

I would check the voltage drop over the dropping resistors to the PI and preamp (these should eventually be replaced with flame-proof metal oxide if you didn't do that when replacing the filter caps).

Many resistors can be checked for tolerance with the amp off and tubes pulled; and others checked for correct voltage drop with the amp on.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

bluze81 wrote:After a bit more research I found out my bassman is a 1958 model, also did some cleaning up and refloated solder joints that looked bad, I variaced it up slowly on power and it works great, two of the filter caps under dog house have leaks so need to replace, I put a replica cab on order with mojotone[all i can afford] so very pleased,when complete i will post pictures, also have to get orig, speakers reconed.
I happened to catch your last comment here (after the fact) and really want to emphasize not reconing your vintage cones. If it is entirely possible, repair your speaker cones as opposed to reconing them. When the time comes to address the issue, I'd get in touch with Ted Weber's son who now operates Weber Speakers to discuss repair, (and/or) NOS vintage cone replacement.

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 am

My speakers are in bad shape but will contact weber about repair before recone, thanks Lefty

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 pm

bluze81 wrote:My speakers are in bad shape but will contact weber about repair before recone, thanks Lefty
I would also check Jim at Scumback.

So where are the photos? Love seeing old amps!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 am

I will get some Photos up soon of the bassman, was waiting on Cab, i have coming from Mojo, Wanted to thank all for help on this amp, this is a Great forum, Steve

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 pm

It's been a while since I bought this Bassman, since then I have it verified as a 1958 four input amp , have it playing very well , I. Know I need to post some pictures today , the guy that sold me this amp had no idea what it is, he only had the chassis. And four orig, blown speakers, he threw the tweed cabinet away, that kills me but I had a replica cab, built and have all good weber speakers installed, its great players amp that gets gigged, since I will not sell this I tell you I paid thirty five dollars for chassis and speakers, thank you guys for all the help on this great forum, Steve

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 pm

bluze81 wrote:It's been a while since I bought this Bassman, since then I have it verified as a 1958 four input amp , have it playing very well , I. Know I need to post some pictures today , the guy that sold me this amp had no idea what it is, he only had the chassis. And four orig, blown speakers, he threw the tweed cabinet away, that kills me but I had a replica cab, built and have all good weber speakers installed, its great players amp that gets gigged, since I will not sell this I tell you I paid thirty five dollars for chassis and speakers, thank you guys for all the help on this great forum, Steve
Sounds great - we do need pics tho' :wink:
Neil