Best Attenuator?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

PeterJ_22
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Best Attenuator?

Post by PeterJ_22 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi guys,

I've gone off using ppimv on some of my Marshall's and am looking to attenuators.

I have a THD Hot plate which is kinda ok (gets used more as a load box for testing), but beyond a couple of clicks it kills the tone and I find the db jumps to large, I tend to want to sit somewhere between the 2.

I had a powerbrake which was better but again didn't quite do it for me.

I like the idea of having an attenuator without graded steps (full sweeping pot) and have been considering the Bad cat Leash (old not the new with fx loop etc) or an Ultimate attenuator?

Anyone have any experience with these or other recommendations?

Cheers.

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Best Attenuator?

Post by chrisom » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 pm

My 8-ohm THD Hotplate makes my hybrid 4203 Marshall Artist sound great with the THD's EQ switches. When I saw Jeff Beck a year or two ago, he was using the blue 16-ohm THD Hotplate to control his Marshall top and to output to a half-rack Lexicon Alex or something like that, and it sounded excellent. I've never been able to get as good tones from the 2 Marshall Power Brakes I owned, or the Groove Tubes Speaker Emulator II I have. The guy from Widespread Panic was using a THD Hotplate with his Super Reverb on Austin City Limits recently. Are you using it to control dry amp then lining out of THD to effects processor? Just wondering how it fits into your setup. Used to have an original Groove Tubes Speaker Emulator but only had a 1950's Rickenbacher combo w/ 6V6 tubes. Ran amp to GTSE, then to a Alesis MicroLimiter, then into an Alesis Quadraverb (it was 1991), and it sounded studio perfect...

PeterJ_22

Post by PeterJ_22 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Just using it straight between superlead circuit marshall heads and greenback loaded quads.

Basically sitting either on -4 or -8db (however I would love a -6). I just find it kills the highs a bit and kind of congests the amp making it a bit mushy. -4 works well but is too loud for a lot of gigs.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Best I have is my Alex (now the Scumback DBL http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43372.

Still have my Hotplate (used, like you for testing etc) and Motherload Elemental but the Alex retains the core tone as you reel the volume in much better, IMO.
Neil

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Weber Mass 150 is infintely variable but does color the sound. Which isn't always bad.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 am

NY Chief wrote:Weber Mass 150 is infintely variable but does color the sound. Which isn't always bad.
Color how? I'm looking to pick up an attenuator soon.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:18 am

FL6 wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Weber Mass 150 is infintely variable but does color the sound. Which isn't always bad.
Color how? I'm looking to pick up an attenuator soon.
More or less has two tone controls that work like bandpass filters I guess. "Lows -Mids" and "Mids-Highs"

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass150.htm
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:26 pm

I hear the Alex is pretty nice, but I haven't heard it. I have heard the Rivera Rockcrusher and I like it quite a lot. It sounds way better than my THD and Powerbrake. I have two rockcrushers now and couldn't be happier with the tone.

page361

Post by page361 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm

The Scumback DB Limiter (formally known as The Alex) is a great attenuator...I purchased mine as soon as the first run became available - very transparent and very reasonable price.

ezs
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ezs » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Had a couple of THD's over the years and of course, bored, donest do it. Sold. I did get an Ultimate and it was semi convincing but with all these things, does not compensate for that pushed speaker response. So same thing, bored and over it. They work best with minimal attenuating just to keep your ears from pain. My opinion only, mod it to the million variations of awesomeness and play your amp instead of buying gizmos.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:26 pm

ezs wrote:Had a couple of THD's over the years and of course, bored, donest do it. Sold. I did get an Ultimate and it was semi convincing but with all these things, does not compensate for that pushed speaker response. So same thing, bored and over it. They work best with minimal attenuating just to keep your ears from pain. My opinion only, mod it to the million variations of awesomeness and play your amp instead of buying gizmos.
Yes but you simply cannot play out with a cranked 100 or 50w plexi (my 18 2x12 at a push) so its pedals or an attenuator. Same at home to an extent, attenuate, wait til everyone is out or take up the acoustic exclusively :peace:
Neil

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:26 pm

neikeel wrote:Best I have is my Alex (now the Scumback DBL http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43372.

Still have my Hotplate (used, like you for testing etc) and Motherload Elemental but the Alex retains the core tone as you reel the volume in much better, IMO.
Neil, do you use the treble settings on the Alex? If so, which ones?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm

rgorke wrote:
Neil, do you use the treble settings on the Alex? If so, which ones?
Yes I usually dial the treble up as I dial the volume down, so on +3 at practice volumes.
Neil