Friedman SS100 volume fading

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mean_street
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Friedman SS100 volume fading

Post by mean_street » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 am

Hi,
since some days I’ve got a problem with my Friedman SS 100. When I power it up and flick the standby, everything is fine at first. After a minute or so, the volume fades away like it would when switching into standby, but slower. The volume stays very low, in some cases it gets louder again but gets quiet again shortly after. I’ve measured the voltages on the preamp tubes (pin 6), preamp filter cap and pi filter cap and they are falling as soon as I take the amp out of stand by. Could that be a sign for a leaking cap, has someone else experienced something like that with Super Lead? Filter arrangement is the same as in a 68 Super Lead.

Has anybody an idea?

alexradium
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Friedman SS100 volume fading

Post by alexradium » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm

check voltage on the resistance between the choke and PI,anyway i would contact David Friedman,he can solve that in a moment.

mean_street
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mean_street » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes, Dave figured it out pretty quickly. It was exactly the resistor you mentioned, that was failing. Switched the carbon comp to a xicon resistor, everything is fine now. :rocker:

alexradium
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by alexradium » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:56 am

mean_street wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:43 pm
Yes, Dave figured it out pretty quickly. It was exactly the resistor you mentioned, that was failing. Switched the carbon comp to a xicon resistor, everything is fine now. :rocker:
:thumbsup: