Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 opinions and recommendations

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

ledvedder
Just the numbers in order: 7

Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 opinions and recommendations

Post by ledvedder » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:45 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. I bought a Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 today. It should be here early next week. I'm super psyched about it. I was curious to hear folk's opinions and recommendations about it.

neikeel

Re: Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 opinions and recommendations

Post by neikeel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am

All the clips I hear make them sound pretty hot, and I think if you have decent guitar controls and are prepared to spend time dialling them in there are a few Marshall tones to be found.
Is it one prebuilt or a home-brew?
Neil

ledvedder

Post by ledvedder » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 pm

neikeel wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am
All the clips I hear make them sound pretty hot, and I think if you have decent guitar controls and are prepared to spend time dialling them in there are a few Marshall tones to be found.
Is it one prebuilt or a home-brew?
It's pre-built.

ledvedder

Post by ledvedder » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

I'm really enjoying what this amp has to offer. Great tones!

The only issue I'm having is with the effects loop. I believe it is a passive serial loop. As soon as I plugged any pedals into it, the volume drops and the highs are sucked away. I've asked Nik at Ceriatone, and he keeps recommending a Klein-ulator external device. I'd rather not have to lug around another piece of gear. Others have said that certain pedals (tc electronics in particular) work well with this style of loop.

While others have said to install the Metro zero loss fx loop. Nik at Ceriatone said that won't work very well in this amp. Something about the circuitry. Here are his words, "The metro type loop doesn’t work so well in this amp, unless you move the position of MV, so it needs some mods." Is this correct? I've attached a link to the schematic, if anyone is willing to help.

http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone/wp-c ... t-2015.jpg

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:08 pm

The MV is a pretty stock pre-PI MV (like normal MV Marshalls)

I am not sure why it would not work (he has his passive loop installed between the pre amp and PI) I think this is where Steve's instructions place his (I would have to check).
Neil

ledvedder

Post by ledvedder » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 am

I also received this information today from George -

"Hot rodded plexi values, extra gain stage, diode clipping. Very odd master volume before the tone stack. This is a Jose thing. No reason the loop won't work. But might be better with a separate MV placed after the loop. Like a send level and a return level."