Bugera 1960 Infinium Lar-Mar PPIMV

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

dailey
Just the numbers in order: 7

Bugera 1960 Infinium Lar-Mar PPIMV

Post by dailey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:17 pm

I've had this amp for a few years now but didn't use it much because it is so loud. The tone is really good and sounds & feels very much like my plexi's. Recently I bought the Bugera PS1 attenuator [ my first ] thinking I could finally make use of this amp. It works really well however after a short period of time the thermal protection circuit kicks on and you have to wait for it to cool down to resume playing again. I pulled 2 of the power tubes and that works but I didn't like the sound of it as well as 4 power tubes. This lead me to open up the amp & have a look at the circuit. The PPIMV in the amp is a single pot type 3 [ from the train wreck pages ] with various capacitors in the signal path and although it is effective, it doesn't work well for me. After locating the PI output caps I decided to install the Lar-Mar PPIMV minus the bias voltage supply [ the infinium circuitry takes care of that & works very well ]. This type of MV sounds really good to me and allows me to take the edge off the volume that I needed to use this amp for real. I also wired in a DPDT switch to remove it from the circuit when I choose too. If I put a small fan on the PS1 it doesn't shut down so I can use it if I want. Also, I like to run a dry/ wet/ dry setup with the center amp as the dry. The effects loop works fine on these amp's but I don't use it [ I like the signal chain through the dry amp to be pure ]. So, I installed a Friedman type line out to send the signal to the effects unit and then to the outer amps. I removed the bright cap at the volume 1 pot, with the pot set to 10 it is bypassed anyway but when I choose to use the PS1 I set the volume pot around 6 or 7 because set at 10 the PS1 causes oscillation for some reason. Here are some pics of what I did to the amp. I don't have a good way other than my cell phone to post any video's or I would.