Got my very first amp back!!!

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Got my very first amp back!!!

Post by flemingmras » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:55 am

Hey guys, my first tube amp ever was a Bogen CHA-75A PA amp. Because I wired a speaker cab completely wrong(hey, I was 14 and knew nothing about tube amps at the time), I fried the OT in it.

Well I traded the amp carcass to my buddy(the guy who initially taught me tube amp basics when I was 16-17) for an onboard guitar preamp. He was going to do something with it but never did.

Well, he gave it back to me today!!! WOOHOO!!!

Now I need to decide what to build into it. It originally ran on a pair of 7027A output tubes and put out 75 watts. It also had 2X12AX7s, a 7247, a 6AV6 and 3X5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tubes. I'm gonna make a schematic of it tonight for the stock circuit, then look up info on the internet for it.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:49 am

When Leftee was over at PlexiPalace he posted all sorts of crap on Bogen PA's converted for guitar ("Boggies") but supposedly when he left he deleted all his posts.
He still turns up over at the Fender Discussion Page, and has posted about them there. He even had some pics on his personal web page, but I don't remember if there was any tech info. Do a search at www.fenderforum.com and see what you come up with (his member name is Leftee over there too.)
At least you WANT your first amp back and are excited about it. If someone gave me back the Peavey Pacer I started on, I'd spit on 'em.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:54 am

OK, that was my first semi-"real" guitar amp, I actually started out on my dad's Dyna Stereo 70 hi-fi. I'm still tempted to rebuild the power amp -- it's an all-tube, 4-EL34 stereo power amp at 35 watts a side. Would make a killer sounding wet/dry rig I'm thinking. Too bad one pair of the Mullards it came with are MIA, and one of the tubes in the other pair couldn't cut it in my '75, so I never got to try real Mullard goodness in my Marshalls. DAMN.
I used to use the all-tube preamp from that stereo to overdrive an old Fender Dual Showman the high school had -- monstrously loud, but REAL thick and distorted!! Got my Telefunken 12AX7's outta there, they really bring my Marshalls to life over current production 12AX7's.

dynaman

Post by dynaman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:36 pm

Another Dyna man! I got started on Dynacos and I'm still hooked (hence, my moniker). I've got around 20 Dynas laying around. I wish I would get rid of my guitar amp bug so I could get back to the Dynas.