buffer placement

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

matttornado

buffer placement

Post by matttornado » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 am

will a buffered signal degrade if true bypass pedals are after it? If not, how come?

If I have JUST a true bypass tuner & True bypass phase 90 ( MXR script w/ LED), do I need one? :what:

matt

SB Monster

Re: buffer placement

Post by SB Monster » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 am

with just two you should be alright so long as you're not using 40 feet of cable. try playing straight in and see if you're losing any sparkle but i don't think you will.

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 am

Thanks, SB Monster.

I have a 15' or 20' cord from guitar to pedals & then another 15' or 20' footer to amp.

Seems like the phase 90 is more touch sensitive with a buffered Ibanez AD-9 delay after it. Does that make any sense?

I'm kind of answering my own question I guess. Just like to hear other peoples opinions / ideas.

Thinking about building a buffer to replace the delay. :shrug:

Did J
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Did J » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 pm

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.fr/2012 ... uffer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wink:

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks, Did J!

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:48 am

Like most things guitar you have to experiment to find what sounds best to you. I have some fuzz pedals that sound awful with a buffer in front. Some people use a drive pedal set for unity gain as a kind of buffer. The EP-Pre is real popular for that around here. I have two of them and use them in different locations in my system. Another pedal that is real sensitive to buffer position is a wha pedal my wha has its own buffer so it isn't bothered as much some don't don't.

revolver1
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by revolver1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 am

Don't know if this is any help but. I went through all my pedals a while back one at a time and found I didn't like what the buffers were doing to the sound. It sounded false not as fat warm and natural as straight in to the amp and I didn't like the effect it had on all the other pedals. I've ended up ditching all the buffered pedals and gone for true bypass all the way.

Problem was though I've got a MXR script Phase90 and an MXR Carbon Copy and I love them both but they both suck tone when they're not on. I got a tip from some guys around here and they pointed me to Loop Master. So now I've got a 5 loop loopswitcher with tuner out and A/B out puts for switching between amps. It's great I don't really bother running loads of loops but just one loop for the most of my pedals and I keep the MXR's out of it unless I'm using them.

Then to get around the signall loss thing I went out and got some cable called The Spirit made by Sommer, They are a German audio cable manufacturer. It was loads cheaper than Monster and the like plus I could make the lengths to exactly what I needed even the patch leads. The biggest CSA cable I could get to fit a Neutric jack is .70mm2 as opposed to most regular cable wich is around .22mm2. This cable is knowen as a high pressure audio cable mostly for use in the studio or very good dynamic cable for bass. Basically the cable is so thick even though I'm running about 40ft of cable I can't hear any signall loss. Now I think it sounds great, it was a relativly cheap fix too so I couldn't be any more happy with it.