Echoplex Noise

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Echoplex Noise

Post by rgorke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

So, I've got me a "new" EP3. It works ok but I am having a noise issue. When the tape is out and I turn the unit and as I turn up the echo volume I get a lot of noise. The noise is not volume related, meaning the higher or more I turn the volume pot, the noise stays the same.

So, it is not tape wear or record level, etc related. It appears something in the circuit is bad and as soon as it gets signal it is noisy. So, what should I check? What does it sound like when a cap goes bad? Someone put a ? on the top of a cap, how would I check if that cap is bad?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I am thinking that we might need a distinct "Echopex" section to gather information.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Echoplex Noise

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:57 am

That sounds like a cap problem. at 30 years, you probably need a cap change. The small orange drops are probably ok. Its the other bigger electrolytics that easily go bad after that time, especially from not being used. There is probably a schematic with a few voltage points on it, you could check.

Also check the rubber motor mounts. They get dried up and cause the motor to oscillate causing noise. You can get new ones or make your own from grommets.

Amazon has a pretty good de magnatizer for about $18. I've used it on mine and it works pretty well. Learn how to look after these things yourself, otherwise your throwing money away.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-DEMAGNE ... magnetizer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:37 am

Here are the motor mounts.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221142878351?ssP ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are just turntable motor mounts so you may want to check around if you need them. I think I can make them from a few grommets and some washers.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks, I'll check mine.

Ok, here is my confession for the day and a great deal of stupid. I was running the echoplex into a dimed plexi. No wonder it had a ton of noise. When I put the amp volume on 2, it cleaned up and I get nice clear clean repeats, even with the echo volume all the way up. I suppose the Echoplex is best for a clean tone for long shimmery repeats. It is only applicable for a higher gain or distortion tone if you use one slap and use it for the tone enhancements.

I am still gonna go through and check all the caps, etc.

:hide: :palm: :oops: :stars: :bang: and any other emoticons that are appropriate.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 am

Also keep it 5-6 feet away from your speakers. I jumper mine into the normal channel and volume it up to about 3-4.
12000 Metro Kit

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:08 am

not sure what noise yours makes but mine is a ground loop. On mine especially with a old marshall. Mine has had a 3 prong put on it so i put a two prong adapter non polarized and plug it in backwards and i quites it up completly

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Tone seaker wrote:not sure what noise yours makes but mine is a ground loop. On mine especially with a old marshall. Mine has had a 3 prong put on it so i put a two prong adapter non polarized and plug it in backwards and i quites it up completly
You know, that makes sense. The one making the noise had a 3 prong put on it and it was grounded in a weird spot. Maybe I'll try what you said.