Fuzz for a Paul

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Country Boy Shane

Fuzz for a Paul

Post by Country Boy Shane » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:23 pm

Hello dear friends,

It seems these days that most Fuzz units are geared toward the single coil... cough... Strat crowd. I've tried the Jim Dunlop Arbiter Fuzz Face and the Big Muff with my beefy Les Paul and both of them seemed to just make some notes dissapeer into oblivion. It would be really great if i could get that "Band of Gypsies" type sustain and psychedelia out of a Les Paul. There must be some fuzz unit out there that can do this for me!!! Since i'm a devout Fulltone user from my religeous use of my Fat Boost and Mini Deja-Vibe, i've again looked towards Mr. Fuller and his vintage guidance. Of course he offers the '69 and '70 pedals, but they both have very different characteristics.

'69=Germanium
'70=Mismatched Silicon

Well Mike recommended i get the '70 even though i have a beefy LP. What do you guys think? Any other brands i should check out? Anything!!!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:52 pm

What about that Treble Booster that Page used to use? Not sure of the brand though, Rangemaster perhaps? Another thought perhaps is to tap the coils on your paul? Not sure if you would want to drill holes in your guitar for the switches though.

How about a Frantone "Peachfuzz" or "The Sweet" Fuzz pedals.

http://www.jeverman.com/
Last edited by Necrovore on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Page used something like a ToneBender. Fulltone sells the "Soulbender" which is basically the same thing. The sound of that really isn't in my taste. Tends to make things sound.. chunky.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:41 pm

I thought Page mainly used the ToneBender with his Tele, and got a surprisingly fat sound out of that combo too.
You're right though, most fuzzage is VERY Strat oriented it would seem.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:09 am

Hey Shane, have you checked out Analogman's Sun Fuzz?(click the fuzzface link on his main page) The samples he gives uses a LP. Not sure if thats what you are going for but its about the only one I found using a LP in the sound samples.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:28 am

There was an earlier post about fuzz tone that went on for about 2 or 3 pages that has all this stuff. I dont think your gonna find a fuzz that fits what your sayin. Thats what a fuzz is. Try turnin the fuzz gain up and rollin back your volume just a bit. Otherwise youll never get anything but a muddy spitty fuzzed out tone which is cool enough on its own but Id never use a fuzz if thats all it was about. I rarely hear many examples from the 60s of guitar players using full out fuzz the way Jimi did sometimes. Just to show you what I mean the ToneBender Page used was very close to the sound of a Big Muff. Over the top and out of control. With the gtr volume maxd or coarse. Its a 3 Ge tran. monster of a pedal. I wouldnt say Pages early sound is anything like what your sayin.

Zoso

Post by Zoso » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:21 am

I'd go with the 70' personally. In fact, I'm getting one as soon as the tax return rolls in. Although I play a Strat and a Paul, I think it will work well with both, as Eric Johnson plays a 335 quite regularly with a fuzz. I know he is associated with Strats, but the time I saw him he used his 335 quite a bit, with a fuzz and his tube driver. When he was using the tube driver, it added a more searing overdrive sound. But his fuzz is what gives him that characteristic mid range squawk and violin sustain, although admittedly it was more prevalent with the Strat, but that is to be expected. Just my opinion, but the 70' seems to be voiced to work well with both.
What good is my wisdom
When there are no words to say
How I feel everday ?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:33 am

My vote is for the 70 as well. If you wanna spend some more money I also second the analogeman Sunface NKT. Thats a very tight and thick fuzz compared to others but its still unruly when the guitars volume is high.

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:27 am

Check out some of the Hyrid Fuzzes that are out there. McFuzz is a pretty popular fuzz. I have built a couple of different Fuzzes and the Hybrid works best for my Les Paul.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:56 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be sure to check out some links.

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:44 pm

Check out the Musictoyz forum for a ton of info on Fuzz.

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=f ... 4066066091

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:43 pm

Can't say i like the sound of that Sun Fuzz, i can boldly say that i think my shitty Jim Dunlop Arbiter Fuzz Face was on par with that. Bleh... i think i'm gonna bring my amp/guitar to either Huber&Breese or Guitar Center to try out the '69 and '70.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:40 pm

I really detest fulltone pedals. Thats not really fair as I do think their a step up from most music store carried pedal lines in tone and especially quality and maybe my bad correspondance with the Mike biases me as well but Ive tried them all and moved on quickly. The only 2 I still like to this day are the 69 and 70 and I still own a 70. Thats just me but whatever thats worth to ya. The 70 will get more of that gainier Page ToneBender sound with the gain cranked and the gtr volume backed off while the 69 is probably better with the early Jimi and Eric Johnson type stuff. If you read on analogmans site for the SunFace NKT youll see Lance Keltner claim the NKT sunface sounds exactly like the original face he sold to Johnson. I always thought that fuzz was awesom. To each their own but remember to use the gtr volume ALOT!
Last edited by Billy Batz on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:45 pm

I really like my Mini Deja-Vibe and Fat Boost. They do exactly what i want them to do, and sound very old school. I don't think i'd ever buy some of his other pedals like his Distortion Pro, Full Drive 2, or any other of those wacky other ones. Either way, i gotta get my amp packed up this weekend for some testing.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:58 pm

Country Boy Shane wrote:I really like my Mini Deja-Vibe and Fat Boost. They do exactly what i want them to do, and sound very old school. I don't think i'd ever buy some of his other pedals like his Distortion Pro, Full Drive 2, or any other of those wacky other ones. Either way, i gotta get my amp packed up this weekend for some testing.
Those 2 I dont really dislike as much as prefer others. The Fatboost had this treble thing goin that irked me and it was too noisey. The Deja vibe had this hifi phase thing goin that irked me as well. I just thought it was too bright and hifi. I was lookin for a good authentic clone. Have you tried a Mojo Vibe or Prescription Vibe Unit? Thats what I sold my Deja for a while back. I eventually sold both for my Captain Coconut. I love the 70 and I think the 69 is pretty cool. The Soul Bender is pretty cool as well.