Fuzz for a Paul

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

dirtydeeds22

Post by dirtydeeds22 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:53 pm

Hey Billy,
I've got the CC2 with ge card and am still trying to figure out good settings with this thing. It sounds good, but is very temperature and humidity dependent. Got any suggestions on grit and Fuzz settings. When you roll off the volume on the LP, is it common for you too roll down to 3-4? That's where I'm usually ending up for a moderate fuzz. Another thing what cable routing config have you found that works the best?
Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff
I WANNA BE ANARCHY

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:24 am

I like to keep the pedal with the stock line of octave-fuzz-vibe. I also have all the cards and I think the hybrid just kills. I do like the Ge but as youve said it suffers from the same problem all Ges suffer from and playing an LP myself alot it can be too muddy. The Si is awesom but I love the hybrid. When I roll back the volume on my guitar with the fuzz theres a spot somewhere around 7-9 where it tightens up tremendously and kills that intesne fuzz, spity, muddiness while still being pretty gainey. Going back to 5 or less really cleans it up. All fuzzes are the same. Youll notice a spot as you roll the volume back where it all the sudden just changes dramatically in a short space from a full on fuzz to an overdrive sound. After that it just sort of goes from overdrive to totally clean gradually. That spot is where alot can be done. Keep the gain high as well. The higher you have the fuzz gain the tighter and gainer it will sound when you roll back a bit to clean up that fuzziness. Just rolling back the guitar volume a little bit, say somewhere around 8 depending on the fuzz, goes a long way and makes a world of difference. Of all the big 60s heroes who use fuzz Id be hard pressed to name 3 that use that full on fuzz sound. Definitely not Clapton. OK Jimi does alot. Not Page or Beck. The Hybrid is better at getting the Page thing too. The ToneBender is such an over the top fuzz and when you crank it it gets so trebly just like the early Zep sound. The Si is the best for that though.

As far as the grit as far as Im concerned theres no bad spot. Set it low and the fuzz is more focused and has a cleaner feel (doesnt actually loose gain I just think the notes are cleaner.) Set it midway 4-6 and thats probably closest to where the bias of most fuzzes are. Set it high and it makes some cool noises. You can get the 'You Shook Me' dying battery sound and the 'Spirit In The Sky' sound no problem.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:29 am

Ive been emailing Dave Fox to try and convince him to build a stand alone fuzz pedal that can swap the fuzz cards like the CC2. I havent emailed him in a while though. I think he's to centered on the Zims these days. He keeps saying he needs to work on it more because he has to be able to use both polarities in the pedal with the different cards. Funny. That doesnt seem to be a problem in the CC2s. Im sure he wants to be able to use battery power in a stand alone fuzz though. Maybe if more people ask him he'll make one. I know for me it would be cool to have another pedal for the other cards I have.

dirtydeeds22

Post by dirtydeeds22 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:00 am

Thanks Billy,
I think I'm going to order a hybrid card for mine and check it out. Thanks for the setting advice. I have been experimenting, and found I like the Ge with a strat, but not so much with a Paul. That's the thing about the CC2, if you don't like one try another. How sweet is that

Jeff
I WANNA BE ANARCHY

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:24 am

I think Dave changed the specs on the pots and some resistors for these effects to give them more range in the controls. Thats especially true for the Vibe. I think a vintage UniVibe would be at 100% its intensity at like 2:00 on the CC2 Intensity knob, and the speed of a UniVibe would be 100% at about 2:00 on the CC2 vibe as well. Having the Center knob on the chassis as another thing thats great. Having that and the Grit are 2 reasons I chose the CC2 after I played it seeing it was top notch though I liked other pedals just as much. At the time I just wanted a good vibe and was just getting into the fuzz thing. Ive gone through alot of fuzzes now. Still like the captain though I have other favorites as well.

McGoogle McDougal

captain coconut

Post by McGoogle McDougal » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:32 pm

I am also a big fan of the hybrid card in the Captain Coconut. That's the one I settled on for mine and it really is a great sound plus never seems to have any temperature sensitivity problems. I also typically set the grit knob somewhere in the halfway range. With my strat I run both the volume and the fuzz up around 3 o'clock (maybe a little higher on the fuzz). Usually I run the default order of the pedals, but sometimes I like to run it Octave -> Vibe -> Fuzz. I often prefer this if my amp is not turned up very loud, but usually prefer the default order when playing at volume.

Eamon

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:47 pm

Yeah I can see that. Otherwise the vibe sounds like some cheap effect like when you use one in an FX loop. It definitly likes being before gain but if your volumes low then most of your gain is commin from the fuzz.