***'**Review: Fulltone '70 Fuzz Pedal

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Country Boy Shane

***'**Review: Fulltone '70 Fuzz Pedal

Post by Country Boy Shane » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:33 pm

I finally sold off my Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor and used the money to get my hands on a Fulltone '70 Fuzz pedal. It took a damn long time to find one of these bad-boys on eBay (and I soon found out why) and was rewarded with a nice early 1998 model with a sweet purple paintjob. Easy operation with 3 knobs: Volume, Mids, Fuzz. As far as the sonics of this pedal, well... you'll have to read on.

Before I start an analysis of the pedal, I would like to say that fuzzes should be used with vintage Marshall's because that's where they sound the sweetest! :twisted: Don't kid yourself plugging this into another amp.

Upon strapping on my trusty Les Paul and plugging into my '69 Marshall Super Lead clone with the high treble volume set at 6, presence at 4, bass at 5, middle at 10, and treble at 8, I got ready to roll. I switched on the 70 and made sure all the controls were at a minimum except for the volume, which was at 12 o'clock. I gotta tell ya. This thing is hot! Very dark and smooth. It reinforced the honored technique of using your guitar volume to control your sound to a very great extent.

Upon dabbling with the mid knob, it really didn't make that huge of a difference. I preferred to keep it dimed just because it sounded more in the vibe of my amp. Here is the interesting part - Fuzz Knob. The fuzz knob did what I didn't think it was going to do. Instead of making the tone acid washed in a square-waved assault of garbage, it actually steadily increased the sustain of my tone. Discovering this was very refreshing and made for a great tool for crazy Hendrix leads.

As far as which artist's sound comes closest to the 70 pedal, I would have to go with later Hendrix, especially Band of Gypsies. If you love Machine Gun, you play the damn solo with this pedal, and ONLY this pedal. When having my Les Paul volume around 9, the tone was astounding! Infinite sustain and wail! For shits and giggles, I tapped on my Mini Deja-Vibe and about creamed my pants. The tone is just that great.

The pitfall of the 70 pedal is it's dark sound. Sometimes it just won't fit the situation even when rolling of your guitar volume. This pedal is definitely more suited for leads than rhythm work.

Grade: 9/10 Fantastic Value! If you love the later Hendrix tone, buy this now!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:57 pm

oh yea. My review of the Fulltone 69 Pedal is coming soon!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:54 am

I really dont like Fulltone effects at all but the fuzzes are awesom. Ill never sell my 70. Its so thick and dark. You can play on the bridge pickup and it never sounds thin.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:08 am

Hmmm do you have a beef with Mike, or the pedals?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:35 am

Both. Everyone has a beef with Mike. Ill tell you one thing about the guy. A while back he posted on a certain forum attacking a guy who showed in schems how to make a tube screamer with a few previously known mods for 'flat EQ' and a boost. In other words an FD-2. Mike comes on posting basically saying how he wont win in court but he'll bleed this guy dry in legal fees for posting that stuff. Posting a schem to a pedal he almost entirely ripped off.

Ive owned all but the octafuzz and Bass Drive. I flat out hated some of them but I think for most of his pedals I liked them they just werent there. Like a huge step up from Boss and all those Muscians Friend pedals lines but still not all the way. The HC type hype and the owner just motivate my animosity :evil:. The pedals I do like are the fuzzes. 69, 70 and Soul Bender though the FF clones are the best especially the 70. The clyde is cool to. If I ever loose or bust my Picture Wah I may buy a Clyde. Hell I only use Wah fuzz and vibe these days.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:21 am

Pretty good story.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:12 am

I think that thread is archived at geofx

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Oooo the 69 arrived at my parents house today! Can't wait to get it this weekend!

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:29 am

I built a silocone fuzz based on what I read about the '70.

I've never used a fuzz before but I really, really like it. It took me a while to figure out how to use it correctly, but once I did, I was in Hendrix land.

When I first tried it out I had it maxed and it sounded like a huge farty, compressed motorboat.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:05 pm

It was the same with me. I was playin for quite a while before I tried a fuzz and learned how to use it. Now its maybe my fav effect. Before that I would play a fuzz, even the booteekers, and say 'WTF?' It didnt sound to me like Cream or many of the other cool fuzz sounds I like on record. It was way over the top. Especially the ToneBender for the Page thing. That things more outa control then a Big Muff. I love the 70.