Slash and his EMB Rack wah !

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

slashsound

Slash and his EMB Rack wah !

Post by slashsound » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 am

Does anybody have any info on this subject? I heard that Slash used an EMB Rack wah, I dont know when but it was in the GNR era. He also would control it using a Ernie ball volume pedal...using it as a Voltage control device. Unfortunatley EMB went out of business. I would love more info. I would buy one of those EMB Rack wahs in a heartbeat.

4nkam

Re: Slash and his EMB Rack wah !

Post by 4nkam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:42 am

Slash started using it live and in the studio sometime in the late to early 90s. not sure exactly when and not sure exactly when he stopped. Adam Day said he moved on to the dunlop 1SR because the EMB was stolen.

EMB was basically a one man job, based out of the bay area. What do you wanna know? :)

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:07 am

[quote="4nkam"]What do you wanna know? :)

Image[/quD]

Did you mean from the late 80s to early 90s ?
I wanted know everything there is to know about that EMB rack wah, basically who owned EMB and how to get in touch with that guy? Also if I could still have one made for me, and if Slash's was in anyway a one off. Also I would love to know where I can find a used one. Thanks alot bro :D

4nkam

Post by 4nkam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:51 am

yeah, typo. late 80s to early 90s. not exactly sure when.
I wanted know everything there is to know about that EMB rack wah, basically who owned EMB
Matt Bacchi was EMB. He did it all out of his garage for awhile and then rented out some space in the bay area where he did most of his work. He also worked closely with ADA, also based in the bay area at the time, and had a big hand in the MP2 preamp and other gear that they came out with.
and how to get in touch with that guy?
A few buddies and I have been in touch with Matt and he does not want to be involved in music related stuff at all. He's really busy with other (non-music) work and family.
Also if I could still have one made for me
The only chance of that right now are if/when a clone is made. I'm working on it, based on the two that I have (Seen above).
and if Slash's was in anyway a one off.
From what I've been told and understand, they basically all were one offs. At least, customized to the buyer's wants. But essentially, slash's was the same as the rest (hammett too).
Also I would love to know where I can find a used one.
Search, search, search, search,search, search, search,search, search, search,search, search, search, and search...then when you are about to give up, search, search, search,search, search, search,search, search, search, some more. Seriously. It took me 9 years to find the two that I now own. One was from texas and the other from a touring pro in japan that changed his gear.

I do know of one other that a non famous individual (I know of like 10 EMBs total and most belong to Slash, Hammett, Vai, Santana, Schon, etc) owns but he isn't planning on selling it anytime soon.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 am

WOW!! Awesome man, I would be very interested in purchasing a replica if you can make it pretty much dead on. I think you got a winner there, specially amongst all the Slash and Hammet fans ! Thanks alot for answering my question. :D
You may want to consider asking him for the details on the inductor he used for the rack way, because from what I understand that is a very crucial part of the tone you get from the wah.

4nkam

Post by 4nkam » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:16 pm

It's actually not a traditional inductor based design. It's more like a modified SVF unit.

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:36 pm

What is this unit used for? I mean sonically, what does it give or bring to the sound? I know the Q zone he uses now is used on a few songs but it is noticeable and not really a bass cut and mid boost type of thing. He might actually use it for some of the leads on his neck pickup though, that I could see because the Alnico II's atleast for me are not that "defined" in the neck position and are more beefy.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:03 pm

4nkam wrote:It's actually not a traditional inductor based design. It's more like a modified SVF unit.
Any updates on your progress on the production? Are you going to start building them? :D I'll be your first client, sign me up :wink:

4nkam

Post by 4nkam » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:What is this unit used for? I mean sonically, what does it give or bring to the sound? I know the Q zone he uses now is used on a few songs but it is noticeable and not really a bass cut and mid boost type of thing. He might actually use it for some of the leads on his neck pickup though, that I could see because the Alnico II's atleast for me are not that "defined" in the neck position and are more beefy.
It's a rackmounted wah. The entire wah signal stays in the rack so you don't lose any tone/signal running long lengths of cable to/from the pedal onstage.

Also, the EMB Audio wah design was pretty unique, not like most wahs out there. They are REALLY thick, fat, chewy, and liquidy sounding.

4nkam

Post by 4nkam » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:15 pm

slashsound wrote:
4nkam wrote:It's actually not a traditional inductor based design. It's more like a modified SVF unit.
Any updates on your progress on the production? Are you going to start building them? :D I'll be your first client, sign me up :wink:
Not yet. Been pretty busy with work and other stuff :(

4nkam

Post by 4nkam » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Still interested? ;)

4nkam

Post by 4nkam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Old thread, I know. But I have a good reason...

EMB AUDIO IS BACK!!

Checkout http://www.facebook.com/EMBAudio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for updates. New wahs are in the works right now!

jimynjean
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by jimynjean » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Matt is living in the south of France and Started his business again. See his Facebook link at http://www.facebook.com/EMBaudio?sk=info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;