Amp head switcher?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

zackd
Just the numbers in order: 7

Amp head switcher?

Post by zackd » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Who makes a good amp head switcher unit? I want to use two head's and switch between them with 1 or 2 cabs (fullstack) if it allows. I searched the archives and could'nt find anything about this.

philmanatee

Re: Amp head switcher?

Post by philmanatee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:57 am

The Radial worked well for me. Phil

thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:03 am

philmanatee wrote:The Radial worked well for me. Phil
+1 - Radial Headbone is well regarded - http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weber also has a unit - https://taweber.powweb.com/store/2head.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another one, I can't think of it at the moment, though

zackd

Post by zackd » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 am

thousandshirts wrote:
philmanatee wrote:The Radial worked well for me. Phil
+1 - Radial Headbone is well regarded - http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weber also has a unit - https://taweber.powweb.com/store/2head.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another one, I can't think of it at the moment, though
Cool I just looked them up. Can you still use a power soak (ie power brake or air brake) with one head? Then have the other head with out it?

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:44 am

I have a Radial amp switcher and it works but adds a noise or distortion I disconnected it the other day for some reason and the amp sounded better with it out of the circuit. You can use an attenuator either before or after the switcher. You would need to put it on the speaker line before the switcher if you only wanted it on one amp.

JTyson

Post by JTyson » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 am

I have the radial, and a voodoo labs switcher, they both work well, the voodoo unit would be overkill for 2 heads, they both change the tone a bit, i hate that, but they both have ground lifts to keep em quiet. The radial would be the cost effective solution for you. Well made, I havent had any issues with mine, but I notice someone above had a noise issue, I just dont like the fact that the tone is not quite as good with it in the circuit. Its not so bad that I could not live with it if I had to. There are some others I have had, but I liked them less, they change the tone even more than these, and dont have ground lifts(Morley A-B, and Tripler) so they are noisier. Generally they are cheaper too . I am assuming you are using 1 cab per head, and not switching to 1 cab? - Jim
Friedman Kitchen-Sink Metro-Plexi, Langner JCM900, Langner DCP-1preamp, Marshall 100/100 Landgraff JCM800, Fortin modded JMP 2203, DSL 2000, JVM410

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:09 am

908ssp wrote:I have a Radial amp switcher and it works but adds a noise or distortion I disconnected it the other day for some reason and the amp sounded better with it out of the circuit. You can use an attenuator either before or after the switcher. You would need to put it on the speaker line before the swir if you only wanted it on one amp.
I NEVER had noise in the line with my AMp Switching TONEOBONE EVER !!! That must have been an isolatred incident. I use a couple vintage 100 wat Marshalls. and an A-B/Y switchbox. Sometimes if you do get a bit of noise there is a switch on the TONEBONE that will get rid of that 100% for noise free operation. I think like out of phase and in phase or sumthin like tht. anyway. works perfect me and i didnt even need to use it. IVe tried it . Cleaned up 1% of a tincy wincy bit of hiss cranking the living shi* out of lboth amps . Hwne you run two amps sometimes you get that out of phASE DEAL SO.. TRY IT! tHE tONE BONE WINS imho! HAD THREE YEARS . And im using a Non Master and a Master Volume Marshall.72' and 81'
my 77' sometimes works great with the 81 tone wise .

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 am

JTyson wrote:I have the radial, and a voodoo labs switcher, they both work well, the voodoo unit would be overkill for 2 heads, they both change the tone a bit, i hate that, but they both have ground lifts to keep em quiet. The radial would be the cost effective solution for you. Well made, I havent had any issues with mine, but I notice someone above had a noise issue, I just dont like the fact that the tone is not quite as good with it in the circuit. Its not so bad that I could not live with it if I had to. There are some others I have had, but I liked them less, they change the tone even more than these, and dont have ground lifts(Morley A-B, and Tripler) so they are noisier. Generally they are cheaper too . I am assuming you are using 1 cab per head, and not switching to 1 cab? - Jim
Sorry , Thats it , Ground lifting . The Radial is perfect as suggested .
JH

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Mesa Boogie used to make a nice rack unit..I think it was called the high gain amp switcher or some such.

Looked like a cool piece.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee