My '77 Dyna Comp Clone Project

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

HTH
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: My '77 Dyna Comp Clone Project

Post by HTH » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:46 am

Steve Mavronis wrote:
HTH wrote:btw, with this UV etch stuff, give me the run-down on the process, my interest is seriously piqued. I've tried chemical etching before and its a pita.
It's sort of a metal sticker when you are done. Here is a link to the ID-Mark page which explains it:

ID-MARK - Photoploymer Resist Coated Aluminum and Polyester
http://www.horizonsisg.com/idmark/idmar ... ester.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a link to request a free sample pack on their page. That should be enough to make several pedals with. Just specify the product name I wrote above in the notes section for 0.007" thickness which is good for panel labeling. I think you get a set of colors (red, black, and blue) in three sheets that measure 5"x6" each, based on what my father had given me before.
thanks for the info Steve, you da man!!! :rockon:

seems like this process is fairly quick and easy - just up my street.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Here's another horse version, this one is just a generic coat of arms horse and not the actual Ferrari horse logo like before. The maker of the FerroRosso font according to this page (http://www.fontmesa.com/famous_font_usage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) says "Designing a typefont based on a few letters from a famous logo isn't trademark infringement as long as the original logo is not displayed and the font isn't named after the company name or product." I'm just trying to be aware of these matters so I don't accidentally get myself in troble over a hobby past time like DIY pedals. As far as I know "Red Devil" isn't a Ferrari product name but is just a commonly used fan created nickname for these beasts! Besides Yngwie Malmsteen, I read that Elton John calls his Ferrari a Red Devil too. This horse graphic is modified from the OpenClipArt website version of it where everything they have is free usage for any reason. I'll probably modify it and stretch it to fit a little better, this is just a test.

Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 pm

as long as you aren't "diluting their brand", i.e. using their logo and their name, it's fine.
in all honesty the rotated logo horse didn't confuse me with ferarri's and since you aren't using their name on it, it doesn't seem like brand dilution to me. as long as you aren't using their name to promote the product, or fraudulently claiming yours to be theirs, you should be fine. the font and color scheme do make it somewhat reminiscent of Ferrari but it's definitely distinct enough to be your own.

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Okay, well trying a new theme yet again. The dragon head graphic is a free font from the 'dafont.com' website. The circle border is added separately in another layer. I like using font's for graphics because they are vector scalable and don't loose resolution. I recommend anyone doing pedal graphics to try these special character fonts. I have artistic skills and could hand draw graphics but using scalable fonts is a time saver.

I'm not sure if I like the 'Dragon Attack' name but using compressors does affect ones picking attack while playing. Here's versions with a 5mm LED and with 3mm and plastic LED holder.

Image Image

Let me know what you think. The main thing I like is using the LED as the dragon's eye.
Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I kind like using the shield as the LED on this Greek calvary warrior. I added the arm with spear from part of another font in the same set:

(coming close to final graphic decision - I hope!)

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:10 pm

My dad stopped over tonight and brought me the aluminum panel etch of my pedal artwork labeling:

It was hard to get a straight on photo because of glare from artificial lighting in my house but i think they turned out really nice. Next he will bring me my PCB etched and I need to order my enclosure, pots, knobs, and other stuff I still need! Then I can move on to the workbench phase.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:24 am

niiice ! i want to do this clone now ! i'll read everything ( didn't yet ) , and see if it works, and if i can make it from what you've shared. i need a nice dynacomp, andy summers, echoplex , hartman flanger or original electric mistress. stuffs ...
my favourites are :

1 ; the woman , but there's something i'd change : the led seems to be a weight on the back of the woman, maybe another disposition would solve that ? the girl, not oriented to the floor perhaps too.

2 : the dragon

nice design, did you make it on photoshop ?

i'd also try to invert the red and the shiny metal : red on shiny metal , girl in red, contour with in and out , in red. just to see.
maybe some chrome telecaster like knobs : but this time, with the design you show.
just some other ideas, but your design is really cool.

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks Xplorer, I sent you a PM in reply to yours. Yeah I like all the graphic ideas I posted but had to find something that would fit a theme and look professional. I do all my graphics using the free GIMP software which has all the same features as Photoshop. I had thought about inverting the panel graphics too. That would also look nice. I just wanted a contasting color for the outer border and the red 1590B box that I want to use.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:01 pm

aaah ! ; ) just started to buy parts, and just now i realise that the CA 3080 chip is rare ! : /

there's the Ca 3080 A , metal can, the Ca 3080 E , H , M etc ..;

and i have no idea about the chip installed in the vintage nice sounding dynacomps. i heard somewhere it is a metal can .... but i don't see any picture of it ,.... just .... someone , please ? help ; ) pictures anywhere ?

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:49 pm

I believe the '76 version was metal can and then in '77 they switched to the 8-pin chip version. Otherwise the circuit should be the same and you won't really find any sound difference between metal can and chip. They both have the same internal CA3080 spec IC design inside if you look at the datasheet. Also, you can mount a metal version into an 8-pin chip socket. They both have 8 legs and the same pinout pattern. I haven't started building mine yet even though I've had my custom etched PCB since last week. I'm waiting until after the holidays when I'll have free time again.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:55 pm

yes, that's right, i saw one on ebay, with a metal can, but it's impossible to see what's writtent on it.
i'm thinking of buying such metal can, ca3080A

http://cgi.ebay.com/10pc-CA3080A-3080A- ... 4cf3420bc1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but does it looks like your original dynacomp CA3080 ?

can you post perhaps the gut shots that you have about some original vintage dynacomp ?

i've found almost every other parts, including an mps5172 transistor, but no sc1849 yet ... found some 2sc1849 but i'm not sure about it yet.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:16 pm

here is what RG keen says about the chips , and i bought a metal can ca3080A

"ICs - Op-Amps

I'm building a Ross/Dynacomp. What's the difference between the CA3080E and CA3080A? What about the LM308N/LM308AH for the RAT/Rodent clones?
"E" is plastic 8-pin dual in-line package, "A" is metal can. Either will work, though you have to bend the leads of the can package to fit the dual in-line format on a PC Board. The can has a reputation for being a little quieter. Same answers for the LM308: "N" is plastic dual in-line, "AH" is metal can."

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Done !
Got mine working very well ; )
very cool effect. never tried one before.
Attachments
Dynacomp 002 bis.jpg
(456.86 KiB) Downloaded 2321 times

Steve Mavronis

Post by Steve Mavronis » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I finished populating the board and my enclosure holes got drilled today! I hope the Dyna Comp clone (on the red box) works after I wire the guts up. Here are some fresh pics:

The PCB on the black box is just another 'anniversary' build of my gray 250 Overdrive clone, slightly trace revised but no circuit changes. I tend to build two pedals at the same time. I guess if the red one fails I won't feel too bad with at least one working build to count on ;)

Here's the revised (yet unverified) PCB layout for my own '3080' Dyna Comp clone:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:42 am

Nice ; )

for my own enclosure, i'll do it economic, and fun ^^ i'll use the iphone 3g box i have, with a footswitch instead of the iphone solo button, printed on the box. i might post pictures later.