Attenuator Recommendation?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

6burgh
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Attenuator Recommendation?

Post by 6burgh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 pm

I ordered an Aracom about a week or two ago. I just got tired of my Mass 200 squashing tone a high levels of attenuation. I didn't want to wait for the Faustine, plus I have a fender that I'd like to run with the attenuator which meant I would need two Alex's. That's what made my decision for me.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:28 pm

6burgh wrote:I ordered an Aracom about a week or two ago. I just got tired of my Mass 200 squashing tone a high levels of attenuation. I didn't want to wait for the Faustine, plus I have a fender that I'd like to run with the attenuator which meant I would need two Alex's. That's what made my decision for me.
Whats the wait for the Aracom, 4-5 weeks? Yeah, the new Rivera has a 8hm/16 ohm switch. Also the reason I dumping the Hotplate.
12000 Metro Kit

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Yup, about 5 weeks Cliff said.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:07 pm

I like the UA I can use it on any of my amps, fender, Marshall etc and it sounds really good works great live with the dual foot switchable volumes

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

6burgh wrote:I ordered an Aracom about a week or two ago. I just got tired of my Mass 200 squashing tone a high levels of attenuation. I didn't want to wait for the Faustine, plus I have a fender that I'd like to run with the attenuator which meant I would need two Alex's. That's what made my decision for me.
Very curious of what you'll report about your experience with it. Hope to read it here.

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Man Fil, I'd be lying if I said your clips and your recordings weren't part of the reason I took this plunge. Your tone is UNREAL. :worthy:

I will certainly be recording some clips with the Aracom... I've been so unhappy with how most of my clips have turned out that I've chosen not to post them. I believe this is the answer for me... we'll see!

Cheers!

Paul

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:50 am

6burgh wrote:Man Fil, I'd be lying if I said your clips and your recordings weren't part of the reason I took this plunge. Your tone is UNREAL. :worthy:

I will certainly be recording some clips with the Aracom... I've been so unhappy with how most of my clips have turned out that I've chosen not to post them. I believe this is the answer for me... we'll see!

Cheers!

Paul
Paul,
thank you my man, but a good part of the reason of the good quality if my tone is... the Aracom.
Sounds like I get money from Jeff at Aracom, right? I wish (laughs). I don't.
Like I said, I bought a second one (another DAG) because I can't think of being without one, if it breaks.
I actually do gig with one, so - even it is built really like a freaking tank (and weighs like one) I was afraid.

My Marshall tone is completely dependent on the Aracom attenuator. Not because it "makes tone" but because at least, it won't detract from it!

I set the volume of the Marshall amp(s) anywhere between 2 and 10, and the Aracom is always plugged in.
I use the variable attenuating knob (F setting on the left knob, and you use the right knob indeed like a volume "loudness" knob) in all of its positions, bringing the overall volume of the amp in my tiny room to circa 1 watt! With the "quality" that you heard.

I hear that the Faustine and Alex(sp?) are very good too, and I would be curious.
However, I just know that Aracom can't be less qualitative.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 am

Tone seaker wrote:I like the UA I can use it on any of my amps, fender, Marshall etc and it sounds really good works great live with the dual foot switchable volumes
Does it have a 2 ohm setting for the tweed Bassman, Super Reverb or Brown Concert Amp?
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:04 am

According to their website... yes. 2, 4, 8, and 16 independent input and output. That's one of the reasons why I bit the bullet!

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 am

6burgh wrote:According to their website... yes. 2, 4, 8, and 16 independent input and output. That's one of the reasons why I bit the bullet!
As a real user of this, yes, I confirm this is how it is and it works.

YMI5150?
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by YMI5150? » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:07 am

curious if a Hot Plate is a reasonable line out box for slaving. I understand its not the greatest attenuator and I concur. I have one and its not so great at really low levels. Just wondering if i need to "upgrade". my ultimate setup will be a slaved setup. in the process of putting it together now but dealing with a move at the same time...

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 am

YMI5150? wrote:curious if a Hot Plate is a reasonable line out box for slaving. I understand its not the greatest attenuator and I concur. I have one and its not so great at really low levels. Just wondering if i need to "upgrade". my ultimate setup will be a slaved setup. in the process of putting it together now but dealing with a move at the same time...
They work well as a slave unit.
12000 Metro Kit

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Mars Hall wrote:As long as your not looking for "bedroom level" volume, my Hot PLates has worked out well for me. Any attenuation more than -8 db gets compressed sounding.

I've haven't read anything specific about Weber's units as far as issues go. Attenuators sometimes get a bad rep because when guitarists use them ,it generally means they're running the amp harder, which will reveal any weakness.
I thought that was the whole purpose of a attenuator so you could get more gain at bedroom levels?
A wise man once said:
"There is no right piece of gear, only the next piece of gear."
He eventually went broke, but his tone was incredible

YMI5150?

Post by YMI5150? » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:30 pm

what he's saying is the Hot Plate is not well suited to attenuate all the way down to bedroom levels. sucks tone. I can attest to this.

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:43 pm

YMI5150? wrote:what he's saying is the Hot Plate is not well suited to attenuate all the way down to bedroom levels. sucks tone. I can attest to this.
Ahh ok stay away from Hot Plates. What about Marshalls power brakes are they any good and do they affect the tone much when dropping it donw to bedroom volumes? Ive seen them for around 250.00 Im still not quite satisfied with my gain and sustain at bedroom volumes. I dont really want to modify may head if I dont have to and would rather stay away from distortion pedals. Unfortunatly I dont have 500 to 800 to spend on one of the Arcoms Ive also been reading alot that cranking you head on 10. And using a power brake to lower the volume to the speakers. Still means your amp is on 10 and can cause you to go though speakers and various amp parts quicky. Do to them getting so hot anyone experienced this much? I was gonna get a variac and run it at 90 volts like EVH did. But I just got the Tube Amp Book and it said if you love your amp never hook it up to a variac and drop or raise the voltage.
A wise man once said:
"There is no right piece of gear, only the next piece of gear."
He eventually went broke, but his tone was incredible