Authentic Vox McCoy wah clone

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VintageCharlie
Just the numbers in order: 7

Authentic Vox McCoy wah clone

Post by VintageCharlie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi folks!

Just wanted to share some pics of the completed McCoy clone. Gathered parts for this along the endless parts search for my 45/100.
I bought a used v847 (US made version) and gutted it out, exchanged practically everything.
Castledine Halo inductor, throughout NOS 1/2w and 1/3w Piher and Iskra resistors, Mullard tropical fish, NOS polystyrene caps, BC 109B transistors with Q1 gain of 350 and Q2 of 340, 4.7uF bipolar Ero electrolytic (looks similar to the golden bipolar electrolytics used in the originals), NOS paxolin clad board. The pot is the original one, but a 200k Pro Pot will be put in there soon. Also, no true bypass at the moment, but will probably put in a Carling DPDT and wire it for true bypass - want to check it out with the stock bypass first.

It was put together by Crane, a tech-savvy buddy from Latvia.

Haven't tried it out yet - i just got these pics from him.

Hope to post clips at some point, but at the moment i do not have the proper equipment - i have to wait till my 45/100 and my 4x12 cab is ready.

Next up is a JH Fuzz Face that will be also gutted and redone with NOS parts and some trannies with better gains than the current ones.
Attachments
_IGP8159.JPG
_IGP8159.JPG (150.56 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (90.19 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

neikeel

Re: Authentic Vox McCoy wah clone

Post by neikeel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:43 pm

Looks good. 8)

Does Stuart wind his own Halos
Neil

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks, Neil!

Yes, he does wind them himself and from what i could gather on the net they are pretty much the best around. He used to sell them separately, but now he only sells them in pedals or boards he has built himself.

Can't wait to check this thing out!

shakti

Post by shakti » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Killer! I have a Castledine Supra-Vibe and Supa Mk I on order, and am considering his wah as well...but I would like one in a Vox shell most of all, exactly like this one. Terrific stuff, Karlis! :rock:
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks, Thorleif!

I think he could do this for you - afaik he sells also just the assembled boards. So, if you'd send him the shell, he might do it. Afaik above all pedals he is THE expert on vintage (Vox) wahs.

I'm considering to do quite a few pedals like this - after getting together everything NOS for a 45/100, pedals seem like a piece of cake, parts-wise at least :D
The tricky part for the boost and drive pedals seems to be the HFE ratings leakages and what not - everybody seems to have his own theory on what sounds best. Socketing the transistors would be a good idea. But then again it's not good longterm solution due to oxidation-risk, etc.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Nice Job I know you will like it :jimi:

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Looks nice !
Will there be clips or vid demo's ?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks guys! Yes, i will post clips at some point, but not very soon, as i have to finish a lot of other equipment to be able to do proper clips. I tested it out yesterday evening and it sounds real nice - it had a "woooo" sound before but now it is a clear and very vocal "waah". Now i understand what people mean by attributes like "vocal" and "throaty" - it gets a very pronouncd quack now - just what i was after. It MIGHT have a bit more top end when fully depressed towards the treble position, but i suppose the originals were very trebly at the treble position too. Also, this could probably be easy adjusted with the pot positioning in the sweep. I suppose the 200k Pro pot might give it even more range.