Crybaby Wah

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

valvetones
Just the numbers in order: 7

Crybaby Wah

Post by valvetones » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:07 am

Hi Guys,

I have recently changed my set up around, now going into the high input of my Marshall JCM800 head for the distortion sounds- that bit is fine, really happy with it, but now my Crybaby wah sounds really over pronounced, intrusive even.
Has anyone done a mod that basically mixes the wet and dry signals going through the wah? This would effectively turn down the volume of the wah without a noticable drop/jump when turning it on/off. Can anyone supply drawings/schematics?

Thanks

Valvetones

clinchfx

Re: Crybaby Wah

Post by clinchfx » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Mixing wet and dry signals may produce some strange results, resulting from the phase shifts that happen in reactive circuits such as Wah.

Assuming that your Wah uses the original style Crybaby circuit:

On R.G. Keen's website, there is a page about the technology of wah pedals. http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/w ... wahped.htm About half way down the page, in the section headed Mods, there is a sub-heading
Change the Rq to change the "sharpness" of the bandpass.
He indicates that lowering the value of a 33K resistor will effectively reduce the intensity of the wah effect. It would be relatively easy to experiment with this, without making any permanent changes, by connecting a 100K pot across the 33K resistor.

If you need help with trying this, maybe you can post a good photo of the circuit board in your Crybaby.

Peter.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effect Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

valvetones

Post by valvetones » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks Peter, I had looked at that web page before but didn't really follow it through. I'll have a go, maybe with a variable pot until I find a value I like, then make it a more permanent addition.

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

valvetones wrote:Thanks Peter, I had looked at that web page before but didn't really follow it through. I'll have a go, maybe with a variable pot until I find a value I like, then make it a more permanent addition.
They newer ones seem difficult to mod. The older ones are fun to makes changes to. My favorite stock wah is the Crybaby Classic w/fasel.

Mike

Alnico

Post by Alnico » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:06 pm

You can add a clean blend to a wah, but in my experience it's not very useful. The easiest way to lessen the effect of the wah is to replace the 1K5 resistor with a larger value. Try substituting a 5K pot so you can dial it in, then measure and replace with a fixed resistor.