longest sustain fuzz i ever heard !

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

longest sustain fuzz i ever heard !

Post by Xplorer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:09 am

Peter really is innovative ! i have no idea of how this transformer works ( something like the tycobrahe transformer in the output ? ) but it's very cool. i think someday i'd like to order one.
i'm wondering what it would do in a germanium version. Anyway, for these endless notes heard in machin gun, and that's what i'm after, coupled with a nice texture, creamy kind of tone. this one isn't far.

http://www.clinchfx.com/txfuzz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteadyEddie

Re: longest sustain fuzz i ever heard !

Post by SteadyEddie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:52 pm

I'm not a fan of fuzz, but this one sounds better than most I've heard.
Still, it's fuzz.

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm

The sustain is because of the volume, not the fuzz itself...sorry but you can do this with about any fuzz out there as long as you have the amp cranked (and adjust the fuzz in a way it's controllable, otherwise all you have is uncontrollable feedback and if you overdo it with the gain, squealing)...how you know his amp is cranked (meaning, LOUD, not necessarily on 10)? Easy...the sustain becomes feedback...you can do this too with about any fuzzface...set it "right" so when you hit a note it stays, when you bend/vibrato it turns into feedback...if you want do do the same but with less volume, play in front of your cabinet or at least close to it...it still will have to be loud (depending on your fuzz gain as well) but not that loud...

In machine gun (and pretty much all his live stuff and most of his studio) you hear Jimi's magic hands WITH a ton of volume...again, even with his fuzz off he sustain his notes...volume WAS part of his sound, his guitar effects (when on) and amp all working together...

If you have a super lead just crank it, step on the fuzz and you'll be "there"... ;)
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:41 pm

yes off course i know, but there's this transformer stuff in the output, i thought that it could work at lower levels.. also having a good balance between the sustain of the signal than sustain of the feedback.
actualy, i thought it interesting to have another way, with transformers , to mellow the silicon transistors. the way i heard of first is to have some resistors at the emiter of each transistor. like on the yaff fuzz.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Xplorer wrote:yes off course i know, but there's this transformer stuff in the output, i thought that it could work at lower levels.. a good balance : more sustain of the signal than sustain of the feedback.
I doubt it gives you any advantages sustain-wise...the manufacturer himself mentions he used the transformers to "mellow" the sound, nothing more...

Trust me, if you have a super lead and any fuzz all you have to do is to just play loud and adjust the fuzz "right"...it will get you very close to most of the hendrix sounds you are chasing...

I can do (and have done it) it easily with any super lead (1959 RI, my Metro '69 SL, a '73 Super Lead) as long as it's loud and have spent a minute or two to adjust the volume and gain of the fuzz...and i am certainly not Jimi or not even a worth mentioning guitar player at all...

Hell i even did it a couple weeks ago when i went to a friend to try my Caliber 22 and check his Zoom G3 out...i just set the Caliber's volume a little lower than 12 o'clock so it's as clean as it gets but loud (through a 1x12 loaded with a Eminence Delta Pro 12A), told my friend to choose a Marshall amp model and a fuzzface...i was too lazy to bother setting them up so i just had NOT to stop playing because otherwise i was getting infinite squealing (so either i should not stop playing or i had to control everything with the guitar vol)...bottom line, i spent 15 minutes playing using only my left hand (fretting hand) and the tremolo...that kind of sustain (and feedback when i wanted) was a result of the volume in conjunction of the overall gain. Nothing you can't do, trust me...;)

Now, If you like the sound of that specific fuzz, go for it...but i wouldn't expect to sustain and feedback the notes while not playing loud...if you want sustain, just turn it up... ;)

Always, IMHO...

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:07 pm

sure, i didn't say a standard fuzz couldn't do that :D
i'm wondering how the sound would be , if i was applying this transformer solution, of these resistors/trimmers at the emiters, on some already mellow germanium fuzz :wink:
that could be cool.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Xplorer wrote:sure, i didn't say a standard fuzz couldn't do that :D
i'm wondering how the sound would be , if i was applying this transformer solution, of these resistors/trimmers at the emiters, on some already mellow germanium fuzz :wink:
that could be cool.
I wonder too, so there is only one way...BUY IT!!!! :mrgreen:

AND DON'T FORGET TO REVIEW IT!!!! :D

(at least is not expensive!!!!) ;)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Get a Roland Jet Phase 8)
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:44 pm

how is this roland jet phase related to a fuzz ?
well, no , i'm gonna experiment some home made fuzz anyway, even if this clinch pedal isn't too expensive.