Custom Badass M78 Distortion & M77 Modified Overdrive

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Steve Mavronis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Custom Badass M78 Distortion & M77 Modified Overdrive

Post by Steve Mavronis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:48 am

I think the new MXR Modified Overdrive sounds awesome. Well, it's Badass! Check out this cool video demo showing how the M78 Distortion and M77 Overdrive work together:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9uDzZUKnnI[/youtube]
Dunlop presents two members of the MXR Custom Badass line together, the M78 Distortion and the M77 Modified Overdrive. Our engineers took their inspiration from some vintage pedal circuitry and then modified and hot-rodded it to their custom specifications resulting in these stomp boxes which provide overdriven and distorted tones that are rich and amp-like along with huge amounts of gain without all the "vintage noise." These pedals also boast various EQ-tweaking parameters to give the player a wide array of tonal options. For 100% analog, true bypass boutique tone that won't break the bank, give the Custom Badass pedals a test drive.
This one is cool too showing how each knob setting works:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOtEPU2GOE[/youtube]
M77 CUSTOM BADASS MODIFIED OVERDRIVE: FEATURES AND CONTROLS
- True Hardwire Bypass
- Hot-Rodded classic overdrive circuit with added versatility
- Gain, Output, Tone, and 100Hz cut or boost control knobs
- Bump Button adds alternate EQ voicing with boosted lows and mids
Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station

MrBeasty

Re: Custom Badass M78 Distortion & M77 Modified Overdrive

Post by MrBeasty » Sun May 27, 2012 3:40 pm

I picked-up a '78 last week and tried it through my rig. It has a nice thick tone and fairly natural sounding. That said, it does not behave like tube, even if it sounds like them.
It is fairly inexpensive and might be perfect for someone who plays through a clean amp and wants a really heavy, tube amp sound, out of a pedal.
In the end it wasn't for me but it is an impressive pedal through a clean amp.

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am

I have both. The 78 is a distortion pedal so it's really not trying too hard to be tube like. It has a lot of tonal control. It sounds good, but I just don't like distortion pedals that much.

The M77 overdrive is very nice. I use that for the more metal tones I'm looking for, but that is because I use something else for more of a classic rock tone. I normally use an xotic custom ACbooster plus an EP booster (series in that order), but that is a pretty fat tone. The MXR cuts just a little more bass which makes it tighter for those metal rythms. It's got a lot of range though, and it can sound a lot like the AC booster if set right. I think it's a great value.

I recently started using OD pedals because I built a 45/100 that sounds awesome, and I think I'd be crazy to mod it. I run it jumpered with the treble channel at 7-8 and the normal channel around 4. I'm getting good natural OD from the amp so the gain is set pretty low on the pedals.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Who makes those cords?
12000 Metro Kit

HARLEYIII

Post by HARLEYIII » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I wanna try the Custom Badass Modified OD. The Custom Badass distortion didnt jive well with me. Sounded more like a sputtery fuzz than a distortion. I coulda had a dud though.
My Marshalls aint feedin' back....They're Laughin' at your Line-6