Which 9V Adapter Best Overall?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Steve Mavronis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Which 9V Adapter Best Overall?

Post by Steve Mavronis » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:21 pm

I was comparing different 9V adapters plugged into the 1Spot 9V daisy chain cable. Each had very subtle DC noise differences. On clean effects I couldn't hear any noise at all. Of course with overdrive and compression on the extra gain amplified noise from my Yngwie Strat (DiMarzio humbucking single coils) with my NS-2 off. That's to be expected but there were subtle DC noise variations between each adaptert that I could hear with my studio monitor headphones. I don't want to make a big deal about any adapter brand. But since all of these work powering my 5 pedals, which is the best or safest to use. There os sort of a debate on forum sites between digital switching vs transformer based adapters:

1. Visual Sound 1Spot 9V 1700mA (digital switching)
2. Boss PSA-120T 200mA (transformer)
3. Boss PSA-120S 500mA (digital switching w/current protection cutoff)
4. Live Wire PS9VDC 9v 300mA (transformer)

I know a dedicated pedal board supply with isolated outputs is best to use on a pedal board. For just a PedalTrain Mini with 5 pedals there really isn't any space for one without modifying the frame or sticking one upright in the back gutter slot. Just trying to work with what I have at the moment and will migrate to a multi power supply later on.
Pedaltrain Mini: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, Neo-Classic 3080 Compressor and 741 Overdrive, MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay, Boss RC-3 Loop Station