How to test audio cables?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

FL6

How to test audio cables?

Post by FL6 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 am

Is it just a simple ohms resistence test with your multimeter or is there a more reliable way?

clinchfx
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: How to test audio cables?

Post by clinchfx » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Yes, you can test a cable with a multimeter.

For a guitar cable, you have to test three ways:

Tip of one end to tip of the other end. This should read very low Ohms. Remember that even your meter leads can have a few ohms resistance, so you probably will not get zero Ohms. If your meter has a continuity test function, it should beep.

Do the same test between the sleeve of one end and the sleeve of the other end.

If both measure OK, test between the tip and sleeve at one end. This should read open circuit or no beep.

Using a meter is fiddly. If you need to test a lot of different cables, there are a number of test boxes available that can test guitar, XLR, RCA and other cables. There are some at http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Cab ... -s/380.htm If you are into DIY, there are schematics around the internet for making your own.

You just plug the cable into the appropriate sockets in the box and select the appropriate function.

Peter.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effect Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

FL6

Post by FL6 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks I will test that out.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:09 am

After checking with a meter; plug one end into a guitar, the other end into an amp, turn everything on and up, then shake the cord around a little. Any change in sound/noise? Do you hear any microphonic like noise? Yes-replace it. No-you're good. :wink:
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

FL6

Post by FL6 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 pm

54strat wrote:After checking with a meter; plug one end into a guitar, the other end into an amp, turn everything on and up, then shake the cord around a little. Any change in sound/noise? Do you hear any microphonic like noise? Yes-replace it. No-you're good. :wink:
This worked the best. I wiggled one cable and it was loud and when I took the end apart the copper was completely severed. I looked at the other end and only a few strands were hanging on.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I'll have to admit to being a bit of smart aleck on that response :wink:

I am just not a believer in paying huge money for high end cables, or worrying about them much in general. I'm fine with Horizon's for about a dollar a foot. Use them until they go south, go get some new ones. I just replaced a pair I'd been using for over fifteen years because they were getting noisy...the outer pvc will dry out and crack over time, and being stomped on with boots doesn't help either.
Even the cheapest cords available now are better than what Hendrix used :rock:
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:10 pm

54strat wrote:I'll have to admit to being a bit of smart aleck on that response :wink:

I am just not a believer in paying huge money for high end cables, or worrying about them much in general. I'm fine with Horizon's for about a dollar a foot. Use them until they go south, go get some new ones. I just replaced a pair I'd been using for over fifteen years because they were getting noisy...the outer pvc will dry out and crack over time, and being stomped on with boots doesn't help either.
Even the cheapest cords available now are better than what Hendrix used :rock:
But what can wear them out...weather?

54strat

Post by 54strat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 am

The answer to this is in the previous post. I used my last pair of cords for 15 years. Over time the outer rubber/PVC will deteriorate/dry out and cracks will appear. Stepping on them with hard shoes can break up the braided shield and this is when a cord will start getting noisy, make crackling sounds when you move around on stage.
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster