dunlop jimi hendrix fuzzface

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: dunlop jimi hendrix fuzzface

Post by Xplorer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 am

so, we got some very precious infos from Dave, who modded the Hendrix amps, fuzz, wahs for him ... wonderul.
he explained us how he put a 50k in serie at the entrance of the fuzz. and how Hendrix mainly used the fuzz .... without fuzz ! he didn't like it. he used the volume of the fuzz , very high, and i tested it, with the Dunlop blue fuzz, and a univibe after it, wow .... on the 45/100 it was really the answer to how he made contless tones he had, that we never really matched. it pushs the preamp of the amp, and gives more sustain ... and sound hendrixy. i can even get some star splanged banner tones even without the fuzz gain, or little of it.
now it also requires a boost on the second transistor, to get it even Wilder, but it's the answer. we didn't get how jimi used this fuzz, had a a fuzz sound without having a fuzz sound, hard to explain,. now that's why. it totaly makes sense now.
i play my Dunlop blue fuzz with the volume at max, and the fuzz at zero. and the univibe reacts even better. the octavia too, and sounds now spot on to the bog concert for example.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am

I can't get the Uni Vibe to sound good unless I run it before the fuzz....

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 am

I tried all of my Fuzz Faces with Volume up, Fuzz down, I can't get a sound I like that way. They only sound good with the Vol and Fuzz between 9 and 10

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:12 pm

I can't get the Uni Vibe to sound good unless I run it before the fuzz....
I tried all of my Fuzz Faces with Volume up, Fuzz down, I can't get a sound I like that way. They only sound good with the Vol and Fuzz between 9 and 10
and i know you've got many David ! :)
well maybe there's a problem somewhere ...

what i personaly get is a dead on BOG concert or baggy's rehearsal tone, to my ears. also some cool studio tones. i think you liked some of my clips, right ?
for the wildest endless sustain sounds, it's , i think, about some mod to come, but for the cleans and crunch tones, the Dunlop blue fuzz does its job perfectly . and the univibe sounds way better this way, same for the octavia.

i think you don't have a kt66 45/100 nor some pre rola g12h30 75hz ? i think it could be a part of the difference ....

anyway, to me the quest is closer but not over, and that's cool.

with the fuzz on max, not for me, it's entering the ZZ top territory ha ha .... not the beautiful cleans of Hendrix, or "transparent" saturation" / sustain.
and an important point, he didn't need to have the fuzz after the univibe, like you do, to have a great sound. so maybe there's something which doesn't work as it should, even with all the fantastic gears you have. normaly it should work. that's my feeling.

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:27 am

I also don't turn the Amp up loud into power tube breakup like Jimi and I can't ever get a good sound when I put the pedals in the order he did, I can get a sound that I like with the Uni Vibe > Fuzz > Wah, Also I wish the Octavia had clean Octave with no Fuzz .... I am finding that out of all speakers I have the G12M 25 sound warmest and most like Jimi I also like the G12-65s .... I am really happy with the JMP50 Combo I have now it gets very close to the 1970 Super Lead that sometimes sounds like Jimi is standing behind me smiling :) I will have to try using the Metro GPM 45 and see if I can get it to play nice with my fuzz faces ..... Also I like my Area 51 Germanium and the Red Dunlop Germanium both have Texas Instruments Transistors they are much warmer and sing better than the Blue Jimi, Eric J, , or Bonnamassa Fuzz Faces ....
I can't make the pedals and Amp sound good when I set them like Jimi had them , so I get them to sound good to me and that makes me want to play more and enjoy playing more.... :jimi: :jimi: BTW:: I think you were really close to BOG when you still had the fuzz turned up more with your JTM 45/100 :jimi: :jimi:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:16 am

hm, there's definitely something weird, it should sound great , the way Jimi set his gears. i think it should be an interesting quest for you to discover why it can work only the way you do, with your rig and settings. And maybe try it in a completely different way.
funny thing, my rig sounds best , the Hendrix way, not yours.

the previous bog noodling i've made weren't as close i think, clearly. and i had to roll down the strat volume a lot to remove some fuzz. so if jimi had it this way, and if by accident he had his strat volume way up suddenly, it would sound more like zz top or VH , and he never sounded like this.

try this : strat with low output pickups ( my gold lace sensors surprisingly beat all my other pickups, even some slider's 69 Voodoo ) > vox 846 > Dunlop blue fuzz ( volume max, fuzz down to zero , with a 50k input bias pot if you're using the wah, but let's try without the wah first )
> try a Voodoo vibe instead of the megavibe ( intensity down to zero , volume max , bias from max to a bit Under max , it colors the sound. symmetry at noon, and speed to your liking ) > RM octavia, not too hot. > JTM 45/100 , more headroom than a gmp45 , and g12h30 75hz pre rola.
turn down the strat volume a bit down if needed. then you'll get the nice bog cleans i think. and for the Wilder tones, there's a mod involved i think, + i the fuzz switch has another function than on/off. to go from a coloring clean fuzz to a Wilder endless sustain.

at least, try that to experiment, i'm sure that among all your toys you can manage this, and come back to your usual rig and settings if it doesn't work, but it normaly should work better than univibe > fuzz > wah . Jimi will smile even more ...
try ! :) , the Hendrix way. + use Dave's settings for the amp, volume not very high, like 6 - 7. presence 7 -9.
a superbass will be very different from a 45/100 . + Dave modded Jimi's superleads in a 45/100 way, that's why they sounded like it.

you can hear the octavia part there, from hot in the beginning to cleaner later :

https://soundcloud.com/xplorer80/141123 ... ws-fuzz-ii