Zep Royal Albert Hall ... in a Pedal?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Zep Royal Albert Hall ... in a Pedal?

Post by somethin'else » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Sounds pretty yummy actually. Too bad you have to have a clean amp running it :scratch:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz4If44_XM4[/youtube]
dave

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Zep Royal Albert Hall ... in a Pedal?

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Yeah man ! Sounds Groovy ! :P
Does have that Jimmy thing goin' on fo sho ! :listen: :thumbsup:
He blended the pedal and Fender good for that type of tone.
If he would of used a Tele like Jimmy did it would of sounded scary close to CODA.

(edit) meant to say Fender.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Google "Royal Amps" to hear the closest to the Royal Albert Hall 1970 tone that you can get. This pedal ain't it...

supro48

Post by supro48 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 pm

that pedal is not very close you need a hiwatt

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Well, if there were a target for sarcasm... :lol:

But yer right. Of COURSE its not a fucking HiWatt! Only a HiWatt can do a HiWatt proper.
Guess I had mixed feelins on hearing it.
BTW, it's weird too because visually he's standin' in front of that (pretty nice lookin) Marshall stack, but he's playin' through a Blackface Deluxe Reverb. :palm:
and that's where my ears deceived my eyes.

So, if you're a Fender amp guy who likes a little RAH from time to time, then it could get you by.
Bummer is I can't imagine it hitting the front of my plexi :cry:

Does good indie shoegazer grunge though. Gotta have a Fender then :roll:
dave

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Catalinbread makes good pedals as I have the Ottava Magus II (Octavia) pedal. For early Zep I album material requiring a fuzz pedal I'd highly recommend the Skinpimp MKII fuzz pedal.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:42 am

So, if you're a Fender amp guy who likes a little RAH from time to time, then it could get you by.
Bummer is I can't imagine it hitting the front of my plexi
Google "Royal Amps" to hear the closest to the Royal Albert Hall 1970 tone that you can get. This pedal ain't it...
I thought it kicked ass... :rock: What's with all the tone-snobbery goin' on around here lately, anyway? :what: :whistle:
I haven't seen so much opinion-competition since the glam-shredder days of the late eighties... :| :rockon:

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 am

chrisom wrote:
Bummer is I can't imagine it hitting the front of my plexi
I thought it kicked ass... :rock: What's with all the tone-snobbery goin' on around here lately, anyway? :what: :whistle:
I haven't seen so much opinion-competition since the glam-shredder days of the late eighties... :| :rockon:
:clap: no doubt Chrisom I love that thing too. Didn't mean offense to ANY Fender folks, I only have a plexi & am trying to imagine it with.
The plexi does a nice clean up to a point, but it (plexi) does its own thing so wonderful w/o pedal.
That guitarist sure made it shine though!
He does another vid alone with a Vox AC30 and it's great too, but you can hear he had his Vox set ridiculously clean too :what:
That pedal is a monster!
I would like to hear it hit my 6Ca7s though :rock:
dave

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:56 am

If I could only go to bed at night knowing I had the guitar sound in this video, I would fall asleep a happy man... :thumbsup:
It's funny, 'cause every time I tell myself I have enough gear, somebody comes out with another "must have" device... :lol:
But we all know were never going to stop improving our sound anyway... 8)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 pm

It is an okay sounding pedal, but it really doesn't come near the Royal Albert Hall tones at all in my opinion. I'm not trying to be a snob, but I have chased that tone for years (OK decades) and the Royal amps have it and maybe one other Hiwatt clone builder, but this sound just can't and doesn't come in a pedal...

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 am

I agree it may not sound exactly like a Hiwatt in Royal Albert Hall, but the video sounded WAY better than a bunch of EVH wannabees with $3,000 worth of gear and all they can come up with as a benchmark is slow, lame-sounding renditions of "Runnin' With The Devil" or "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love"... :?

How about some of the "Ed-heads" treating us to some benchmark EVH guitar runs that feature the reckless abandon Eddie is famous for, the way Howard Gee did with Page in his Catalinbread videos? That would get me excited. I've heard a few good ones on here, but most are just the simple EVH tunes one would choose to play in a hack-cover band... :whistle: :scratch:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 am

The other thing in this demo is that the band does not really know how to play this song. The drummer pretty much gets it, but the bass player is playing some totally different shit and the guy playing guitar is really just winging it. He doesn't even try to play any of the fills in the rhythm guitar parts and forget the solo. I'm sure this was just a tone test of the pedal...and it sounds just like any ordinary overdrive to me. Which is fine, but selling this as if it has anything to do with the Royal Albert Hall tone is ridiculous.

The main thing that is way, way off on the guitar tone is that Jimmy originally played almost the entire song using the middle pickup position. Here the guy stays on the bridge pickup throughout. Maybe it would have helped this guy's cause if he studied the recording and video much more carefully...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpe6k3FzCOo[/youtube]

About the only thing about the guitar in this video that comes close to the Royal Albert Hall is that the guitar strap the guy is using is a fairly accurate modern version of the Bobby Lee guitar strap that Jimmy used at RAH.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:49 am

Here's another excellent demo of the Catalinbread RAH pedal from their website. Warning: He doesn't play the Zeppelin tune note-for-note, so some of you may not wish to listen to this... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IQp1WRXP8s

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Guitar is well out of tune and the tone is just not anywhere close in this clip either. Oh well, I've said my peace in this thread...I'll let you guys get on with thinking this pedal is the RAH tone :whistle: