Boss Ge 10 -10db input pad question

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

fretwizard
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Boss Ge 10 -10db input pad question

Post by fretwizard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi all

I've recently acquired one of these here in UK. I cleaned it, lubricated the faders with Caig Faderlube, fixed a broken solder joint on the level fader etc...
The bypass and inputPad switches were a bit loose inside (there seemed to be a false contact on the inputPad switch when I pushed the actuator in) so I gently pushed the lugs that keep the enclosures together and lubricated everything.

The switches now are very tight and there's no play between the parts.

Here's the question.
Is the -10db pad supposed to make a big difference in the volume? Because I don't hear any... :what:
I was afraid I messed up something in the switch but I checked the continuity with my multimeter and it seems to work properly:
It's a 2 x 3 contact (DPDT?)
First position is like this:
0 1 1
0 1 1
Second position:
1 1 0
1 1 0

I also checked the output level of the pedal in Logic, with a eq meter. I amplified the signal a lot so I could hear what was happening.
When I switch to -10db the signal drops very slightly (about less than 1db on the Logic meter) and also I can hear the background noise decreasing. Is this what it's really supposed to do?

I wasn't using distortion or anything, just the pedal signal...
I hope it's clear
Thank you

R

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Boss Ge 10 -10db input pad question

Post by rgorke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:03 pm

I have used both setting with a guitar and hear no real difference, if that helps. Maybe mine's busted? :scratch:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.