Phaser suggestion

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Phaser suggestion

Post by garbeaj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I think Ernie Isley used a Maestro phase tone on "That Lady'. I can get fairly close with my Jet Phaser.

I like Ace Frehley's Phase sound on the "Strange Ways" solo on 'Hotter Than Hell". Killer sound and vibe.I Love that solo :rock: . He used a very similar sound on the 'I gotta Get Away' solo on 'Dressed To Kill' as well as 'Mr. Blackwell' on 'Music From The Elder'. I think it was a Mutron of some sort.

Back to OP. I actually like the aggressiveness of my 1996 Blocklogo MXR Phase 90. It can sound very much like Hendrix's sound on Woodstocks 'Izabella' (though I know that was a Univibe). Early Dave Murry is also a blocklogo. I have better luck with getting these newer phase 90's to sound like early Ed by turning them to around 10 or 11. If I set them at the 8 or 9 oclock spot like Ed did, they have that dull mid honk thing. I think that Kev's mod might do the trick,but only if you have the speed at that point where the phases eq is right,like at 10 or 11.
Jesus Andy! I can't believe you have an original Jet Phaser...those are scarce as hen's teeth. Very cool...how'd you get it? It does pull-off the "That Lady" tones really, really well, though that is not what Ernie used on the recording. I think alot of people think that's what he used and Line 6 even claimed that he used the Jet Phaser on "That Lady" in the manual for their Distortion modeler...but most accounts say it was a Roger Mayer custom Octavia into the Maestro phaser with the colored buttons. Supposedly the "Summer Breeze" tone (the other great Ernie Isley showcase) has been said to be a Fuzz Face.
Last edited by garbeaj on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YMI5150?

Post by YMI5150? » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

for me, the pedal has to have true bypass, power supply plug, great tone, and a nice-to-have LED. that rules out the vintage stuff. Whirlwind has tribal knowledge to the MXR days of old so I went that route, correct 6 ICs and matched jfets like the old script circuit.

however, I have to say I really prefer a very subtle addition of the pedal and Whirlwind was aggressive so I hardly used it; until last night. I've added an intensity adjustment and it is badass. I can dial it all the way out, into phase 45 territory, or into Gilmour range. its very warm, adds nice mids with a gentle sweep for Eruption, and can get Atomic Punk and Floyd. all in one new pedal. stoked.

clips coming.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 pm

YMI5150? wrote:for me, the pedal has to have true bypass, power supply plug, great tone, and a nice-to-have LED. that rules out the vintage stuff. Whirlwind has tribal knowledge to the MXR days of old so I went that route, correct 6 ICs and matched jfets like the old script circuit.

however, I have to say I really prefer a very subtle addition of the pedal and Whirlwind was aggressive so I hardly used it; until last night. I've added an intensity adjustment and it is badass. I can dial it all the way out, into phase 45 territory, or into Gilmour range. its very warm, adds nice mids with a gentle sweep for Eruption, and can get Atomic Punk and Floyd. all in one new pedal. stoked.

clips coming.
Sounds cool Kevin...I look forward to hearing the clips!

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 pm

When it comes to false advertising you're confusing the 70's with present day advertising. There is more false B.S. advertising today than I have ever seen in my whole 53 years. It used to be that you could get into deep trouble regarding false advertising and truth in advertising (not to say that it didn't happen). Nowadays they make disclaimers and display small print to deny any culpability whatsoever.

I don't deny what you're saying however, I did mention that those old guitar mags had not only ads, but articles discussing artists equipment. So what does this mean then if the media was lying to us then, in those magazines ? Correct, they're lying to us now, or everyone's a son of a bitch until proven otherwise.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm

It is a strange thing concerning what is fact and fiction, based on the manipulative desires of greedy people :bang: From small buissiness to Wal-Mart,it is almost always (ALWAYS for Wal Mart) about money :palm: .

Allen, I got that old Jet Phaser off of Ebay 5 or 6 yrs ago. I finally figured out that it was the sound Uli Jon Roth used on alot of the '70's era Scorpions solo's,like 'Polar Nights' & 'We'll Burn The Sky". I thought it was the BEST Hendrix influenced type tone I ever heard. Combine it with a Wha set to a fixed spot, and its amazing. On its own I am reminded a bit of the Eddie Kramer 'finger flanged' type tone of 'House Burning Down'. Mine is old and ragged, but still works. I finally found a guy who makes exact clones that sound virtually identical. I need one to gig with. I'd imagine mine would give out on me in live circumstances.

I might do the little mod that Kevin has disclosed on my '74 reissue Phase 90. Sounds like a total 'win win' modification :thumbsup:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Can we get the value of that variable resistor...and where did u get it. Thank you so much!
~guitar007

YMI5150?

Post by YMI5150? » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:44 pm

the stock value resistor is 150k. i replaced it with a 500k pot. might be overkill but it gives wicked range from nothing to extreme. i drilled a hole in the front face and put the pot where the battery would normally be. wont work if you need the 9v.

the large MXR knob will be replaced with a smaller one with glow line as soon as it arrives. say goodbye to the warranty but the added functionality was worth it to me.
IMG_2238.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG (149.98 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Sweet!!! Is the #1 pedal the EP pre?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

YMI5150?

Post by YMI5150? » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Quick clip of my modified Whirlwind Phase 90. sweep rate set at ~12 oclock and varied from little phase signal blend to max blend and back. intro tapping is pretty sloppy :bang: . just wanted to have a segment in there to show where EVH would have light blend, then Atomic needing a more blend and it can do both very well. then my normal channel so you can hear the actual pedal's warmth. I'm totally digging it now. It gathered dust for a couple years.
Phase90 02Sep13.mp3
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 205 times

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 am

150K output resistor was the one you took out?
12000 Metro Kit

YMI5150?

Post by YMI5150? » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 am

yes, the one that is flying across the back of the board, leads shielded in clear tubing. from the post above, quoting the engineers at Whirlwind, that blends the mixed signal with bypass signal. now i can vary the amount of wet signal.

btw, props to Al at Whirlwind for a) sharing this info with me and b) sending me a cool care package with a hat, shirt, and salsa. yes, Whirlwind salsa. very cool of them.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 am

YMI5150? wrote:yes, the one that is flying across the back of the board, leads shielded in clear tubing. from the post above, quoting the engineers at Whirlwind, that blends the mixed signal with bypass signal. now i can vary the amount of wet signal.

btw, props to Al at Whirlwind for a) sharing this info with me and b) sending me a cool care package with a hat, shirt, and salsa. yes, Whirlwind salsa. very cool of them.
I'm drilling mine out this weekend then. I always found mine a bit harsh as well. I suspect this is the reason some sounded better than others. Varied resistors and drift in that critical spot could lend itself to the end of the BBBS. "Bud Box Bull Shit" that has gone on for years. I have 2 vintage units and one does sound better. The one that doesn't has a lot of foam rot and needs a serious quadruple bypass on all the wires. They are green.

So your dialing that pot down correct? Why not just put in a 250K or 100K pot?

If you back the pot completely off are you just left with the dry bypass signal?

Hows the salsa taste? Does it need to be modified? What does it read on a multimeter?
12000 Metro Kit

YMI5150?

Post by YMI5150? » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

the resistor was 150k. a 250k would be fine. 500k was what i had lying around. it just makes things more extreme when cranked. sort of cool to be able to have anything from basically nothing to massive.

salsa's running about 10k and needs an R28 mod

stef

Post by stef » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 am

what about this kit? it's reasonably priced :scratch:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... uct_id=186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 am

stef wrote:what about this kit? it's reasonably priced :scratch:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... uct_id=186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have good kits.
Last edited by vanhalen5150 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
12000 Metro Kit