Phaser suggestion

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Misterhabit
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Phaser suggestion

Post by Misterhabit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi All,

I play in a Classic Van Halen tribute band here in Florida and purchased the EVH Phase 90(red striped). Unless there is something wrong with it, I do not like it. Even with the knob the whole way down it seems to be too much effect. This holds true with the script button on or off.

At this point I am not looking to build a kit. Does anyone have one for sale that they like or have a recommendation on a different year/make/model?

PS I also have the EVH Flanger and a Strymon El Capistan into an EVH 5150III 50W head and (2) 2x12 cabs
The phaser sits in the middle of the chain.

I appreciate it... :evh:

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Phaser suggestion

Post by stef » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 pm

script reissue 74

Misterhabit

Post by Misterhabit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 am

Reasonable, but no true bypass, LED or AC power? I guess a true reissue in every sense. For the record, I have my EVH version on battery power only, way to noisy with AC power...

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:52 am

I got one of those script reissues from Analogman and he adds the features you mentioned. LED, etc. costs more but worth it IMO
Last edited by Janglin_Jack on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misterhabit

Post by Misterhabit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:15 pm

I read that the one they make (Dunlop MXR 74 Vintage Phase 90 LED Script CSP101SL Phaser Guitar Effect Pedal)

Doesn't sound as good, but has the bypass, AC and LED.

Misterhabit

Post by Misterhabit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Maybe the Phase 45 might even be enough effect?

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Since you want the modern features, just get the Maxon PT999.

Mike

Misterhabit

Post by Misterhabit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I just heard of it for the first time today. I understand the 3rd Rev on the script 74 reissue is true bypass. The LED and AC are nice, but not deal breakers...

BTW Here is a rehearsal recording of my VH tribute band:

http://www.brownmnms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stef

Post by stef » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:24 pm

IME the same phaser (mxr 74 reissue) can sound so differently through different amps and/or different amp specs. You need the right sounding amp in order to have really good EVH-like phase 90 effect.
I'm sorry but I don't like the way your EVH amp sounds, with that much muschy pre-amp distortion it is hard to dial in any effect in front of the amp

Misterhabit

Post by Misterhabit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Actually, on the recordings you heard that is a 1970 Sunn Amp modded 2204
with Mod 5 style Master.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:02 am

I thought that sounded 'better' than a 5150lll ( As I was listening to your bands clips,I was thinking " He is actually making that 5150lll sound pretty good) I thought your band sounded pretty darn good, and liked your tone and playing.

Stef makes a strong point for sure though,and that is the point about how a phase 90 can sound very different, depending on the amp its in front of.
There is a couple of three ways to look at the 'Ed Phase 90 tone' though,imo.
1) Turn the knob to somewhere between 8 and 10 'o clock,and regardless of how your are deciphering the sound as your playing, record it and listen back. Sometimes the way it feels and sounds in your hands is fooling you. Listen to the playback.

2) You can buy into the theory that Jose modded Ed's phase 90. I dont think thats correct though. Listen to Ed in '76/'77 playing Robin Trowers 'The Fool And Me'. Ed has his phase 90 speed knob up to around 2 oclock to imulate Trowers univibe. At the same show though, Ed uses his phase 90 with his regular lower speed setting and it sounds like what we are used to hearing from him.

3) You can build you a 12xxx clone and get a good attenuator and see how you like it. I think your doing great with that 50 watt mod 5 build though :thumbsup: .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 am

Tone Slinger's right, it already sounds good. A front-end gain amp can magnify your effect. A plexi with attenuator might sound closer with the pedal you already have. But your sound is fine. You probably shouldn't replace your entire amp system just to make one effect sound a bit closer. Heck, look what EVH is using today. Your rig already sounds better than that... :lol:

Alot of folks are loving the Whirlwind Orange Box for the features you're looking for...
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-b ... box-phaser :listen:

bickster

Post by bickster » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 pm

LOL! I built that amp. A couple of times! Never thought it would amount to much. Thanks for the comments. The important part is getting a great player to show it off.

Back to the phaser. He does use a 5150III live for the switching and effects loop. Breaks my heart lol. Any opinion on adding an effects loop get better clarity and reduce the noise floor? Not the purest approach but he needs functionality.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:43 am

Mark wasnt keen on putting an effects loop on his builds/mods.I recall a few conversations on that. With the Zero Loss effects loop, I think there was an issue of it not performing optimally with the ppimv. The two didnt jive real well as I recall. I sold my 'zero loss' loop before ever installing it because of that. So far, the 'Mod 5' spec is the best sounding spec I've had in my Metro 12xxx (I actually built my amp with this spec from the get go,only to bring it to stock later). For my playing style,I'm accustomed to the gain structure/feel of preamp gain.

I say to get a noise suppressor of some kind and basically use similar analog boxes up front like Ed did. I thought those live 'Brown M&M' had a better guitar tone than just about any VH tribute band. I say keep using the same amp, or build a Metro 12xxx/Mod5 spec amp.
If a dual channell amp with a loop is a MUST HAVE, I think the JCM 2000 DSL or Vintage/Modern or JVM series MARSHALL's get a better 'early' EVH sound than the 5150lll.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Dunkmop

Post by Dunkmop » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 am

chrisom wrote:Alot of folks are loving the Whirlwind Orange Box for the features you're looking for...
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-b ... box-phaser :listen:
+1

I bought a Whirlwind Orange Box and love it. Nice and subtle. Michael Laiacona who builds them, was the co-founder to MXR, and has used select parts to build this pedal, so it is essentially a 70's Phase 90 with all modern features (9V plug, True-bypass, and blue LED).

I think if you reduce the voltage to the pedal also; you can get it slightly more subtle as well.

I have bought the yellow box also, as people go on about the Distortion + being one of those must have pedals, but haven't used it much yet. Also the red box, which is effectively the Dynacomp is another I might acquire. Very impressed with the Orange box though.
Metroamp 12000
EVH 4X12 + Marshall 1960AX 6402
Gibson Les Paul
VH RWB Strat in Progress