Power Regulators

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Power Regulators

Post by JimiJames » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 am

The new rehearsal spot is an old facotry...
Great vibe, but terrible noise issues coming through my amp.
I've already blown my HT 1A fuse and taking a multi meter there next to see what the wall current draws.
I'm thinking 125v if not higher... I'll see & report back.

So without breaking the bank for this added expense, what do you guys recommend to use for a Regulator ? (not conditioners :wink: )
My 'Cous has one that's $350 if not more. I'm looking for my best option in used gear, so as inexpensive to do the job.
I just did a search and there are many to choose from, but which one guys? :what:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Power Regulators

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:10 pm

JimiJames wrote:The new rehearsal spot is an old facotry...
Great vibe, but terrible noise issues coming through my amp.
I've already blown my HT 1A fuse and taking a multi meter there next to see what the wall current draws.
I'm thinking 125v if not higher... I'll see & report back.

So without breaking the bank for this added expense, what do you guys recommend to use for a Regulator ? (not conditioners :wink: )
My 'Cous has one that's $350 if not more. I'm looking for my best option in used gear, so as inexpensive to do the job.
I just did a search and there are many to choose from, but which one guys? :what:
Tripp brand.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Which model did you use? There are a lot of models with varied pricing.
How 'bout settings ? Does it have LED meters or indicators for monitoring or is it just a receptacle type ?

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Why not a variac or conditioner, jj?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:17 pm

How I understand it to be, is that with a voltage regulator unit,
the unit will put out a conditioned & consistent flow of "cleaner" voltage no matter what my wall input would be.
I don't know how to explain this technically, but in the process I'm trying to find out...
Would the Variac be more of a "through" for that "locked-in voltage setting. IOW The variac'd voltage fluctuates along with the wall input.
Say the wall comes in at 125v and it's variac'd to 110v. Would the variac stay the constant 110 even if the wall's input changes ?
Or does 110v become 100v when the variac sees 115v ? :shrug:

M a n O' man is my amp noisy a. f. at the new rehearsal spot. Just trying to find out how to inexpensively and effectively rectify this f. annoyance... :?

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:54 pm

JimiJames wrote:How I understand it to be, is that with a voltage regulator unit,
the unit will put out a conditioned & consistent flow of "cleaner" voltage no matter what my wall input would be.
I don't know how to explain this technically, but in the process I'm trying to find out...
Would the Variac be more of a "through" for that "locked-in voltage setting. IOW The variac'd voltage fluctuates along with the wall input.
Say the wall comes in at 125v and it's variac'd to 110v. Would the variac stay the constant 110 even if the wall's input changes ?
Or does 110v become 100v when the variac sees 115v ? :shrug:

M a n O' man is my amp noisy a. f. at the new rehearsal spot. Just trying to find out how to inexpensively and effectively rectify this f. annoyance... :?
Used to call em' "brown out generators" for when voltage dropped below the norm, but they also provide a consistent voltage as well. I haven't kept up with the various Tripp models, but their products are second to none. One thing that's important that no one can deal with except an electrician, is if the wiring at the venue is screwed up, not grounded etc. I have a little "Sperry Instruments" receptacle tester you should buy (maybe $5) that gives you some idea of what you're up against with an unknown venue's wall receptacle's.

DO NOT use a variac to provide a consistent voltage! I have found out from experience. I once used a variac to supply a consistent measured receptacle voltage to power equipment for a band on my back patio. The entire wall receptacle had to be replaced, and it blew fuse box fuses afterwards. Not one of my better ideas I can tell you.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:[
DO NOT use a variac to provide a consistent voltage! I have found out from experience. I once used a variac to supply a consistent measured receptacle voltage to power equipment for a band on my back patio. The entire wall receptacle had to be replaced, and it blew fuse box fuses afterwards. Not one of my better ideas I can tell you.

THAT's F'n WEIRD?!?!?!?!?!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm not sure just bringing the voltage to a constant will solve all of your noise problems. SOunds like maybe a grounding issue or did it rain recently?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:35 pm

rgorke wrote:Sounds like maybe a grounding issue or did it rain recently?
That's why I offered up the "Sperry Instruments" circuit tester (about $5 fro Home Depot) which would immediately tell you if you had a grounding issue. Not only that but being that it' small and you can carry it in your hand or in a guitar case, you can check out any untested venue's power plug ins.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:37 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:[

THAT's F'n WEIRD?!?!?!?!?!
It is idn't it? However, very twue.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:46 pm

rgorke wrote:I'm not sure just bringing the voltage to a constant will solve all of your noise problems. SOunds like maybe a grounding issue or did it rain recently?
Still would like my voltage constant... I've already blown the HT 1amp fuse, but Yes, it's also a grounding issue.
A) it's unpredictable when the amount of bands rehearsing that night are there. So, there's a factor in this big ole factory building.
B) Also, in the process of being made to commercial spot. So alot of retrofitting new to old. Nearly impossible to know what their grounding layout would be. So, yeah the grounding noise and buzz are very bad. Maybe, it's my amp :palm:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 pm

You likely have at least two separate, but intertwined issues here. Voltage fluctuation and or over spec is bad, of course. If you use a variac to knock it down that will help, but it will still fluctuate. A voltage regulator will switch between taps of a transformer, typically in 3-5V increments and in micro or nanoseconds, to provide a "constant" voltage. Effectively preventing brown outs and overs. But it can change the tone, you have to listen and weigh out the benefits. I have two different furman units, both expensive, but also very effective.

Noise is a different issue and could come from different sources. If it's on the AC line a good conditioner (not a power strip) will help clean it up. If it's radiating through the air as EMI you are kinda screwed. If it's a ground issue in the AC wiring the little tester will help identify that. How you resolve that is up to you.

There's a little tester on Ebay for about $25 that measures noise on the AC line. That can be useful for finding a source of noise. But you are still left with deciding how much to spend on a unit to clean that noise up. Good luck!
It sucks to spend cash on gear that only makes stuff work right.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:01 pm

For what it's worth, I have these units:

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php? ... d=P-1800AR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.furmansound.com/pdf/datashee ... asheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both have voltage regulation and conditioning (noise filtering).

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks for elaborating, VG. That's kool... kinda like the taps are playing high speed hot potato.
yeayea, I have an old Furman. Still works :roll:

I guess you've walked that path once or twice before to see where I was heading;
enough to save me from my new headache :? let's see :scratch: That's good for 2 cold ones at Joe's, say... Section 115 ? Sound about right?

Taking a multi meter along. I'll have a better idea then.

"It sucks to spend cash on gear that only makes stuff work right."

I just shook my head when I read that and then did a double face palm.
...I just wanna' play man... really. I mean, who do I gotta' see, you know ? Who's the guy in charge ?