best DI box project ?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

best DI box project ?

Post by Xplorer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:37 am

Hello !

it's been a while that i put on my list of "to do" a DI project.

when i don't use a real cab with speaker, i'm using a transducer from tonehunter, and i just take the direct out to my soundcard, then there's a mixture between some IR speakers and some IR reverb, into cubase.

But i'd like to use more than one amp sometimes, and i don't want to spend the money for another big transducer.
i saw some projects online but if you have some good advices about which kind of schematic or known project would be good to hear a 100 watt superlead or 45/100 , into a soundcard .... i'd love to discuss it.

thanks !

7string

Re: best DI box project ?

Post by 7string » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:38 pm

You may have forgot about this thread.

You just need a line out box to connect to your soundcard. Like the ones already posted here. And a dummy load of course. It doesn't need to be balanced if your soundcard accepts line level.

OTOH, something like a Countryman Type 85 that accepts speaker level would be a nice purchase.

Check the Jensen website. They have a bunch of schematics.

I've found IR verbs have too much latency for tracking while it's on. Try Variety of Sounds EpicVerb. No noticeable latency.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:52 pm

thanks man.

my presonus sound card doesn't accept direct line level i think.
there are some concepts here that i don't master ... "balance" , and well ... tweaking the dummy load values must be hard i guess. i mean, i built a custom attenuator but reaching the optimal impedance, level etc .... that a sound card could accept, that is tough i guess, giving that the amp's volume varys, all the watts send vary ....
the transducer is quite complex ..

i also need to be able to send the direct signal recorded back to the amp, from my sound card.

i don't have noticeable latency with altiverb . well, i have a very powerful computer , with 32 go of ram and ssd disk, gtx titan, 50 go of virtual memory, an i7 4770k .... more than enough , and setting the latency at about 4 ms ( sound takes about 4 ms to travel 1,32 meter ... ) , with the extremely powerful ( maybe the best reverb ever ) altiverb, i have no problem.

will have a look at epicverb.

thanks

7string

Post by 7string » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Which Presonus do you have? With those combo jacks, I'm pretty sure it will take instrument, line, or mic.

That Transducer seems very nice.

By balanced I mean XLR or TRS cables. Where the AC audio wave is split in half to help with noise. When summed back together, any noise picked up on the line will cancel itself out.

To send tracks from your computer back out to an amp you will need a couple things. First, a way to split the signal from your guitar. One into the amp and one dry direct into your Presonus. To send it back out you will need a reamp box. Kind of like a reverse D.I. I like the passive ones from Radial Engineering or Palmer makes a good one too.

I don't think tweaking the voltage divider values is too big a deal. Just be sure to have a volume pot in there as well and be careful to bring up the level slowly. The guy from Valvestorm had a good thread here. He built a box with three different line out variations. Try a forum search for "line out box".

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 pm

thank you.

i have the presonus firepod, but i doubt that i could plug this JTM 45/100 into a soundcard instead of a 4x12 ;)

i should find a way to clone the section of the transducer i'm interested in. but i didn't find the schematics. oh, opening it maybe ..

i didn't get how the ac signal is splitted in half, and how getting both back together may cancel some noises.

regarding the remping, i thought about this : plugging the guitar into the sound card, then cubase etc, recording the signal and hear it in real time .... > the output may go into the amp then, with a reamp device to adapt the signal as if it was plugged directly into the amp.
this way i could play back what i did, and cubase could record both the amp and the dry guitar signal at the same time. the bonus is also that i could apply a lot of various effects , from cubase, before the amp, if desired.

anyway, i realise i don't even have enough time to finish my second 45/100 that i started a month or two ago. + some effects on the to do list.
less is more in many case too :)