suggestion on low output pickup

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

suggestion on low output pickup

Post by Necrovore » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:42 am

Ok I want to try something new. Ive for years been leaning towards the high output hot HB style pickups. I would like to go in the other direction now. Seems that a superlead thrives on lower output passives. Here are what I need to be able for this pickup to handle.

Clarity and definition for fast tremolo picking
nice tight lower end for palm muting
good lead tone

Oh I dont want to spend over $100 max for this, preferably between the $55-85 range. Do not need a 4 wire pickup this go round as its an experiment.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:14 am

Seems to me High Order pickups are exactly what you want. My AIII 8.3k set is about the pinacle of what you described and waht Im after.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:18 am

Yeah I already had it that I was more than ultimately going to buy from Jeff, but wanted some other suggestions so when I give him a ringup I can discuss what I want a bit more cohesively.

Ive been suggested the SD JB, Custom 5, PAF pro, Custom Custom, Not too many Dimarzios and even the Lace Sensors have been suggested.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:22 am

The JB and PAF Pro I dont even understand how someone would recomend those given your criteria. JBs are hot. Maybe not by EMG standards but by PAF standards yeah. I had PAF Pros as well and their not super high output but their not low output by any means either. I like the SD EVH. It has a PAF like quality but my HOs still sound more like what you described. Fralins also do quite well for this. Still not like the HOs. Im going to try Bare Knuckles real soon.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:35 am

Yeah I have some change set aside for a set of Bare Knuckle Warpigs. But at $400 a set thats going to take me a while. I have a couple of firearms that I am buying right now as well as updates to my guitar rig.

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:27 am

Necrovore

Are you in Austin? I am in San Antonio and I have one of the Genesis Mr. Browney for sale. It puts out 9.1K and has an alnico 2 mag. If you want I can loan it to you so you try it out, if you like it then its yours, if not just return it. Let me know quick as I am going to Georgetown tomorrow, Monday.

Allen

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Guitar Adjuster wrote:Necrovore

Are you in Austin? I am in San Antonio and I have one of the Genesis Mr. Browney for sale. It puts out 9.1K and has an alnico 2 mag. If you want I can loan it to you so you try it out, if you like it then its yours, if not just return it. Let me know quick as I am going to Georgetown tomorrow, Monday.

Allen
I live in San Antonio. What time are you headed up to Georgetown or coming back, maybe we can meet up around lunch or in the evening opn your way home.

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:23 pm

Bareknuckle Warpigs shouldn't cost you 400 a set, I'd think $300 maximum. Remember they're cheaper than advertised for US buyers as you don't pay our 17.5% tax.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:42 pm

So a 190GBP Black Dog set is really what? 161GBP? Thats a bit better but stil damn expensive. Im only looking for bridge pickups for now. My HOs are great for the neck. Clean and clear. But I want to go through some more in the bridge and see what theyre like and the BK are on the top of the list.

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:50 pm

You get what you pay for with BKP's, the owner has gone at great lengths to source parts from original manufacturers of PAF's or having to resort to manufacture the exact replica components themselves. Absolutely everything is spec'ed down to the finest detail and it really shows just holding the pickup (they weigh a ton :lol: ) and hearing it.

Shred Guitar

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:56 pm

Believe me if it really is Ill pay for it. But Im tryingt o figure the price now that youve thrown the tax thing in there. So the site lists as 190GBP it would actually be like 161GBP subtracting the tax, then about $300 for the set witht he exchange rate.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:09 pm

Brain,
I have called the dealers who are advertised as US distro in the States. I am quoting their price I was told. something due to the exchange rate is why they are still that high. Haven't emaild BKP directly yet. Like I said earlier though, They are still a bit off in my purchasing queue, so its a bit more like window shopping right now.

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:28 pm

I just ordered a set of BKP's-- the Nailbomb neck and bridge from the US dealer Guitar Cellar in Colorado--they ordered them on Friday from BKP and are charging me $269 for the set (Zebra), no sales tax. Will be here from BKP in 9 days then they will ship to me so 2 weeks or so. Can't wait to install them.

Thanks Bainzy for turning me on to them!

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:56 am

I'm sure you'll love them! I think if I ever get a JCM800, the first thing I'd have to get is a Nailbomb equipped guitar for it :twisted:

I can't imagine the exchange rate is pushing up prices, it's the best its been for quite a while for you guys importing from us. Around £1 to $1.70 at the moment.

Shred Guitar

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 am

Allen,
This pup sounds really nice. Cleans to grit. Very very articulate. I had to readjust my picking style already. Not so heavy handed anymore. I have only had time to try it out though a SS practice amp, tomorrow is the big test through my Marshall.
I have a Super2 in the neck position and this pickup give roughly the same output, but way more cut. Very good balance so far. Will call you probably Friday or Saturday and let you know my final decision.

Bjorn