boost pedals help!

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

ian

boost pedals help!

Post by ian » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Has anyone out there heard the Addrock Boostmaster or the Retroman Beano pedal?I'm thinking on the Time Machine Boost but it's pretty high.I know"you get what you pay for".Looking for the Bon Scott era ACDC sound,kinda.Thanks,Ian.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:51 pm

The topic of clean boosts can go on forever, but for what you're looking for you should start with your guitar/amp setup first. The effect of a clean boost will do only a marginal amount of change to an amp/guitar setup (if the clean boost does what it's SUPPOSED TO DO!). What setup are you currently using??
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:13 am

Yeah. As was said a clean boost isnt gonne change much. It will just give your amp a kick by driving the input harder but its not gonna change your basic tone all that much. Also the Beano is a treble boost. I think it does have a full range mode but being that its a germanium effect it wont sound as clear as a dedicated clean boost. The TMB has both. Theres tons of clean boost pedals out there.

myker

Post by myker » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:04 pm

yeah, the tone you are talking about will be gathered from your guitar and amp. you got to get as close as possible with your basic set-up. like say for instance you are trying to sound like angus young but you are playing a strat and a vibro champ. not gonna happen.
also adding a pedal adds more capacitive cable and noise etc..its almost never a quick and perfect fix.
mike

ian

Post by ian » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:15 pm

I've got a stock Sg standard and will get one of George's 50 watt plexi heads when he makes em available.Right now I just have a 40 watt pignose for practise.A friend of mine is playing through a Carl Martin Hot drivin boost MkIII and it sounds pretty good.I'm just trying to see what else is out there.The tone search is a new adventure for me.I think the plexi will do but would want something to drive a bit harder so that's where my interest in the boost pedals has stemmed from.Hey thanks for the replys,Ian

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:50 pm

Billy, what setup are you using right now?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:13 pm

Ive been using a Soldano SLO half stack live for years. Not really into it but its been consistent and reliable.

I have a number of homebrews but for the most part my rig is a 71 SB and a JTM45 clone I use alot as well. I have a JTM100 clone Im finishing up with a few switching options like split/shared etc.. I have a few LPs and a 50s era frankenstrat. I have a decent amount of pedals but I basically only use a Captain Coconut and a Teese Picture regularly. Yeah... The Jimi pack. Ive been running the wet dry cab setup recently with an EH MM. Got a 4x12 w/RI GBs and a 2x12 V30/1230-55. Im gonna do a 4x12 of Webers pre rolas soon hopefully with the Mojo strait BW cab. I think he calls them Ceramic Blue Dogs. Bout it.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:47 am

Okay man, it's time to retire the Soldano and put the vintage gear up front man. You know you wanna do it!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:51 pm

Country Boy Shane wrote:Okay man, it's time to retire the Soldano and put the vintage gear up front man. You know you wanna do it!
Do I?......... I mean....... I do!!!

No, realy I do. Im in a bad situation with my current band. They pay my bills and then some but Im not really into what they do and Ive been through this many times before trying to find a good, flexible, NMV amp (many posts at univalve.net in regards to the flexi) to fill the SLOs shoes. But the Super Bass with a Strat or LP and a nice old BW cab are my idea of a great time. I couldnt get a better sound if I tried my whole life.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:14 pm

If you are fighting with yourself mentally with your band i suggest you get out. What is it worth playing if you aren't even having a good time? I was in your situation and i sure as hell am glad that i'm not in there anymore!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:08 pm

Well. I told myself over a year and a half ago that Id use the opportunity to make some contacts. I make good money though Im not making half what I was told I was going to get. I got royally screwed on session pay and I totally dont think these guys are any good (there from the uber-pop-rock school and think Rolling Stone and MTV is a lifes ambition) and they know it so theres semi-open hostility :( They fired the management who hired me and was on my side so that stronghold is gone. These guys are so into the glam world and pop scene its a joke :) I cant help it. Im from a different planet I think :shock: I think its about time to walk as well and stop selling out. Im getting complacant now and stagnant I think Im moving backwards musically. Im sure you know where Im comming from. The thought of leaving in a few minutes to play a local gig tonight is making me cringe.

It would allow me to sell the SLO and use that $2500 for stuff I like anyway :roll:

Whats your setup BTW?