EQ in effects loop

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

thunder970

EQ in effects loop

Post by thunder970 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:23 pm

Do any of you use Eq's on your amps? I was thinking of putting one in the effects loop on my 900 to fine tune the mids a bit. Give me some options here on what works.Thanks
Never being in a band sux :-0

Eoin

Re: EQ in effects loop

Post by Eoin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:07 am

Can't really recommend any EQ pedals myself. Boss and Danelectro are not particularly good, from experiences I've had with them. But 9 times out of 10 people are using EQ to vainly try and make up for a bad amp tone, which is more timbral than spectral imo.

Where in the signal path is the effects loop on a 900? I've had a few in the studio but no one seems to use the loop. A nice parametric valve eq might add some distinctiveness to your sound. But if you have that kind of money... there are amps that don't need eq.

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:56 am

The first Marshall I owned was a 3210 The MOSFET100. I used an MXR 6 band in the effects loop. Made that amp own for what it was. Sure it couldn't compete with a tube amp but smoked any other SS amp out at the time setup like that. They work good, just watch out for noise levels. Putting a noisy eq in the loop like that only amplifies the noise moreso than running it through the front of the amp. You can counter this if its too bad using a hush pedal, just set it so it just barely gets rid of any hiss off the pedal.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:46 am

Uh pedal EQ... gross.
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:07 pm

nothing wrong with the tone, I think with the 4xV30's , SED EL34's and the telefunken's in the preamp sounds smoother than all the dsl,tsl amps that I heard. I'm not a gain freak anyhow, so my amp don't sound anywhere near the buzzy chainsaw no tone high pitched no mids all bass newer amps. I would just like more Eq to play with. I don't "need" it. I'm just wanting to try new things.

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:29 pm

Country Boy Shane wrote:Uh pedal EQ... gross.
You use what works.

Eoin

Post by Eoin » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:10 am

Yeah, I think it'd be interesting. Personally, if the effects loop is operating at line level, I'd get a DBX 2031 (on ebay :) ) and play with that. If it doesn't work for you, you can always find a use for it elsewhere. A thing to bear in mind with any active EQ is that you should always cut rather than boost where possible.

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:48 am

A thing to bear in mind with any active EQ is that you should always cut rather than boost where possible.
That is the best advice for an EQ on a guitar. Especially with pedals, the noise increases greatly when you start boosting frequencies.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:18 pm

dosmun wrote:
A thing to bear in mind with any active EQ is that you should always cut rather than boost where possible.
That is the best advice for an EQ on a guitar. Especially with pedals, the noise increases greatly when you start boosting frequencies.
Actually that's good advice whether guitar or anything else. Boosting frequencies cuts into the available headroom your amp has. Not as big a deal in our distorted guitar amps, but a VERY big deal in your PA system!!