NOS power tubes????

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

tonejones

NOS power tubes????

Post by tonejones » Thu May 05, 2005 12:57 am

Can anybody describe how much of a difference NOS make in the power tube section???

I can easily hear the difference between tube types in the power section (6L6/EL34/etc.).

Is the sonic difference between modern production tubes and NOS tubes as large as the differing sonic characteristics of tube types (given that the current production tubes are a quality brand and not lo-grade super cheapos)???
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu May 05, 2005 9:08 am

Ive never bought many NOS tubes but Ill put it this way. Why should the power tubes be any different the the preamp tubes? Different brands of current production can make a big difference so... goes to reason.

Post by Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 2:10 pm

I have compared chinese 6l6's with the nos ge6l6's i currently have in bandmaster and can say that there was a huge difference. I agree with Billy Batz that if it makes a difference with preamp tubes, which it does, so it will do the same with power tubes. My opinion at least.

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Sun May 08, 2005 8:53 pm

But not all NOS tubes are greated equal, just like current production. NOS Mullards are THE tube for Marshalls. Current production is very good, but the Mullards are better. But at current prices I can afford to stick with SED or JJ!
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...

dirtydeeds22

Post by dirtydeeds22 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:20 am

rjgtr wrote:But not all NOS tubes are greated equal, just like current production. NOS Mullards are THE tube for Marshalls. Current production is very good, but the Mullards are better. But at current prices I can afford to stick with SED or JJ!
Yeah, $300-400 for a matched quad is a good reason to stick with my JJ's.

Jeff
I WANNA BE ANARCHY