NOS ECC83s

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:56 pm

hey thanks Andy! i will try a telefunkin sometime 8) - i went with what terry thought i should try for what im after. ill try em all eventually. well all that i can ;)

Mark

texwest

Post by texwest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 am

Hey Happy Birthday Mark. I turned 40 last year. Its really a good age. But I'm a little jealous. I didn't get any tubes for my big 4-0. I'm turning 41 in a month so I'm ordering some too! George is building me a 12 series and I can't decide between Siemens and old Tesla's for power tubes. I talked to terry for a long time. It sounds like he is mostly selling these military surplus tubes that are equilavents of old classics. Its hard to pin him down on what he is going to send you. But it sounds like you have to just trust him to send you tubes you will like, if you tell him the tone you are going for. I'll be very interested in how you like the set of tubes he sends you.

Wes
"'CAUSE IN THE EYES OF GOD
YOU'RE BOTH CHILDREN TO HIM"--Hendrix

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:05 am

texwest wrote: Its hard to pin him down on what he is going to send you. But it sounds like you have to just trust him to send you tubes you will like
I would strongly agree. I got four, Tele, Brimar, RCA, and tungsram. The tungs or what he told me was tungs was DOA and no more emails :twisted:
I'm Irish but not stupid. None of them were NOS, all of them had seen a few hours so I can say I wasn't not totally happy with my first NOS/tubetramp experience. Thing is you're gonna pick up the same stuff or better trawling eBay. Most of the guys that try to scare the shit out of you and tell you to beware of buying NOS on the 'bay are selling tubes themselves. I have not got a single dud yet and been paying real cheap. Bainzy got a couple of Mullards lately for about £10, one of them cost £3 !!!. I got four NIB tungsrams totally mint for $40. The last two mullard long plates I got cost me £18 for the both of 'em and they were mint. Draw your own conclusions.

Paul

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:29 am

VelvetGeorge wrote:40 is a big one. I think a quad of XF2's are in order.
Now you're talking!

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:32 am

If you know what you're looking at you can get lucky on Ebay. I am surprised about the bad Tungsram from TT, but he is a stand up guy. Did you try to email him?

I don't think he tried to put most of his stuff up as NOS, at least nnot too me. He ususally sells pulls from wherever he can find them, and properly tests them. But sometimes things happen... I had a Mullard xf2 go bad in my amp, and he sent me not one, but two replacements!

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:12 am

shakti wrote: Did you try to email him?
Three times without response. I don't really mind so much that they're pulls but I was a bit dissapointed that he didn't get back to me, but whatever. I've no doubt he knows what he's talking about. I think if you do your homework and research what tubes are gonna put you your 'ballpark' then ebay is the way to go.

Paul

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:07 am

SB Monster wrote:The tungs or what he told me was tungs was DOA and no more emails
What's the meaning of "DOA"?

Couldn't find it in my dictionary.

Thanks, Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:15 am

Dead On Arrival Larry, Kaput!!!

Paul

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:48 am

How the hell do you guys know what to look for on ebay? Im all for getting some old tubes cheap but I wouldnt know where to start. If I post the auction here to ask you guys and you say its a good tube someone will bid on it! If not you guys a lurker.

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:59 pm

I love the Amperex/Bugle Boy in V1 ... it's my favorite for that position. I use Mullards for V2 and V3.

I've got some Brimars that I'm saving for another amp.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave