Ebay Warning!!!!

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Guitar-Sam
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Guitar-Sam » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:01 pm

I've bought from that guy with no problems :? I dunno

Anyways I've been selling stuff on ebay and its getting to iritating to deal with.I consider myself a pretty honest guy I don't fuck people over and I don't like to get fucked.I don't dick people around onpurpose and if something is my bad I admit it and correct it.
I sold an rft el84 I got from TT,it sold for a measaly $7.99 after I paid $30......Oh Well thats ebay. But the guy who bought it is emailing me over and over again about when I'm shipping.I hadn't gotten payment first time he emailed. I keep responding and he keeps getting snottyer and snottyer.Saying stuff like....since you don't seem interested in sending the item I won,I want my money back etc..etc...It was 10 days from the night the auction ended till it went to the post office.That includes time waiting for the money to get here.
Another guy left me a bad comment in my feedback cause it took him (he says) 2weeks to get something he bought. I got payment on the Mar 15th and shipped Mar 17th.......should I have flown to his house and hand delivered it to him??WTF :twisted:
I couldn't own a public store cause I try to be nice to everyone and I eat shit till I got a mouth full,then I explode all at once and I'd be liable to jump over the counter and pound some dickhead's face in.
Now I mark my auctions"item shipped only AFTER payment is received and clears"........was that not :roll: self explanitory befor??
74' Stratocaster
Several Frankenstrats
Orange Tiny Terror & PPC 1x12 cab
Marshall 2210
69' Marshall 4x12 "B" cab
Dean Markley CD-60

WilliamTheSwan

Post by WilliamTheSwan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:00 am

Yep the worlds full of ignorant dicks who think their time and money are worth more than everyone else's. :roll:

Grosh_Guitars
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Ebay Warning!!!!

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:53 pm

kefestvog wrote:I don't know if this is allowed in the rules so I'll keep just to the facts and not tell you what I think of this guy. BEWARE of the Ebay tube seller Electronics2265. I see this guy sell tons of tubes on there but he took me. It's been 4 months since he cashed my check and still no tubes. He's been nice enough to talk to me on the phone and respond to about 2 dozen emails and to tell me he's going to take care of things but, 4 MONTHS!!! Most people who want to rip you off won't respond which is why I hung around. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to get anything anymore and Ebay told me to shove it since I waited until after 60 to talk to them. I was trying to work it out. I can't even give feedback so this is all I can do and let my fellow forumites know to be careful. Thanks.
I hear ya, Ebay really blows!! I had a guy buy a Les Paul from me then told me it was broken only to charge back his credit card for 1600. bucks and keep the guitar. now I have paypal/ebay on my ass for the money, they didn't even requier the buyer to return the item before he got his refund.
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kefestvog

Update

Post by kefestvog » Wed May 14, 2008 12:13 am

Just to let you know I've received contacts from 3 others who say they've been taken by this guy. One of the guys said he thinks the number is near 30 with everyone he's talked with. Will be filing a mail fraud claim with the postmaster tomorrow.

zaphod777
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by zaphod777 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Do a search of this forum, many others, and the net, for his old id's(lotsoftubes, vintagevalvesetc) and you'll find plenty. He has ripped off many, I have dealt with him myself.
The problem is, he considers any tube he can con someone into buying, "a good tube", so not every tube he sells is bad, hence some people having good experiences, and others bad, while dealing with him. Scammer

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Thu May 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Be aware of the eBay seller "bugleman" from Hong Kong!

He sells "original" Tesla E83CC & ECC803S in definitely old boxes, but the tubes are relabelled JJ's w/ gold pins. After you complain, you'll get this:
Hi! I am very surprised received such complaints from you.
Anyway, I don't want to waste my time and your time for the explainations. But Rumors stop by the clevers.

Since We have sold out these tubes to many customers, will you please email me your name and mailing address, date and auction number with the tubes and return it to the following address by Registered Airmail, please make sure packed well and insured:-

Lorenz Tang
3rd Floor, Hang Lung House,
184 - 192, Queen's Road, Central,
HONG KONG

Phone:(852) 2815-1700

Once We have received your returns and will refund the full amount to you but less shipping.

Sorry for the above matters which not meets your requirements.

Best regards
Lroenz Tang
But fortunately I've got my money back :D

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

TubeGetter

Post by TubeGetter » Fri May 16, 2008 5:10 am

Larry, that's how he's able to keep his feedback so good despite ripping people off. He knows a certain high % will think they got what they wanted, but it wasn't and they never knew to complain.

Below is a post I made from this thread at PP

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?t=71312

about some of the tubes he has listed on his site and how shady they are:

-------------------------------

For the newer guys that haven't been around to read the threads, be very careful using wiwi tubes. There's no doubt he sells some legit stuff, but there's also no doubt he sell bogus stuff......and I even say that from my own personal experience.

If you go to his site right now, you can see pictures of Tesla labeled and boxes tubes that are obvious fakes (tube actually made by JJ). There are more examples like that. I've even emailed him about this and he has a number of excuses, says he'll look into it or doesn't respond. Why does he have such good feedback on Ebay? Because most people don't realize they were taken if they were, and if they do realize and complain, he refunds their money and is a nice guy about it.

Most of his funny business involves taking a certain tube, make a repro box for it and stamp logo on it and get top dollar as NOS NIB. For example, he has a Mullard EL34 pic on his site that has an xf3 with a shield logo on it. Obviously, he got sloppy and forgot Mullard stopped using shield logo's in 1970. He used to have a different pic with the same thing, except the tube was obviously very used and it was an xf4.

I bought 2 Mullard GZ34's from him a long time ago, and paid top dollar. When I got them, the tube boxes were obvious repro's and they had Mullard logo's with phony logo's. The print was solid white and hard as a rock, not to mention some inconsistencies with normal Mullard print. But the tubes were fine and worked great.

So I got a good pair of tubes, but I paid for NOS NIB and that's not what I got. Buyer Beware.

Example #1: These are not Tesla, rather recent production JJ's with phony boxes and print

Example #2: In the later years, many companies did start labeling Chinese and Russian tubes. There's also some out there that were stamped by people trying to sell big lots to dealers as a scam. Luckily it doesn't happen too much anymore because people are aware and know tube construction better. Is this an original label on this apparent Chinese tube? I don't know for sure, but those are definitely repro boxes. It looks like there might be some residue on the inside of the glass across from the rectangular holes in the plates which usually means they've had some use. If you ask for Holland Amperex EL34's, is this what you get? I don't know. Be very careful.

Example #3: Here are the Mullard EL34 xf3's. The tubes themselves look great. However, the labels are fake (should have the later Mullard print and logo) and these are those fake red repro boxes floating around. Not all Mullard repro boxes are like this, but many are white on the reverse side....they printed onto a white box and just printed red and black over it. Obviously, these are the shield logo era boxes and the real ones are sought after.

Example #4: He's got these listed as Mazda silver plate 12AX7's. They do say foreign made on them, but I'm sure some newbies would think these are the Mazda silver plates everyone talks about. These are fairly recent production tubes in what I think are repro boxes. I see him sell these on Ebay a lot. I can't say for sure, but I don't think these were printed by Mazda nor were the boxes. Fishy.

Example #5: Same as #4, except he calls these Mazda grey plate 12AX7. These are not the Mazda grey plates made by Mazda that everyone talks about.

Example #6: All the Amperex 12AX7/ECC83 he has listed are USA made, so if you want Holland Amperex, make sure that's what you get. The following pic are the Richardson era Amperex Bugle Boys. These are USA tubes labeled and boxed by R. just a few years back and not the late 50's/early 60's Holland Amperex BB's every one wants.

I could keep going, but I think you could see how newer folks to tubes could end up getting something that wasn't what they really wanted.....and maybe not even know.

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Fri May 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Mike, a great and very helpful post! Thanks a lot!

The photo from the Tesla tubes is exactly that from his ebay auction, where I've buyed the tubes from him. And the funny thing is, that the repro boxes you get with the tubes definitely look and feel 'old', like boxes, which have been stored already 30 years :o

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

KCA NOS Tubes

Post by KCA NOS Tubes » Sun May 18, 2008 2:26 pm

This seller is a menace. Sure he ships some good stuff to some people. Ever hear the expression "con man"? Con = confidence. You can't build confidence for the BIG score without first delivering the goods to build your reputation.

Check his feedback now

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... S&frm=1883

Notice how he hasn't listed anything for a while and the negatives have started piling up? This is his MO. He's been doing this for the past few years and the pattern is the same each time.

And check here for how he's changed Ebay IDs several times.
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/shady ... /3945.html

There's also some other serious stuff which doesn't show up anywhere. Several people have been burned BIG TIME.

If you've been lucky be happy. You also may just not be aware that he's sold you misrepresented items. Most people have no idea what they're looking at when identifying or testing tubes.
Mike Kropotkin
KCA NOS Tubes & Amp Repairs/Modifications
www.kcanostubes.com

TubeGetter

Post by TubeGetter » Sun May 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Notice how he doesn't accept PayPal anymore? Now he can take money and not send anything, and there's no re-course for you. If you don't receive anything and paid from PayPal, the seller must prove that the item was sent or the buyer will get a refund.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 pm

Don't get me started about Ebay. The no negative feedback rule for sellers is a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, but let me give an example. I sold some parts on Ebay last year to a few guys in Italy. I don't know if you are aware of this but the Italian postal service totally sucks. All three packages took at least two months to get there, one close to three. One guy starts shaking me down for replacement parts saying he was tired of waiting. Since I already had one package take this long, I told the guy to be patient and check my feedback (100% as a seller). Anyway he files a Paypal claim etc., the parts finally show and all is well. I believe the threat of retaliation at least tempered his anxiety, I doubt that restraint would be there under the new system. I don't know how one could live in Italy and not know this. Even if the parts were lost, I put a clear disclaimer that I am not responsible for lost or misdirected mail, I presented proof of shipping, offered insured delivery (it was declined).

What's even worse, under the new system, you now have only 60 days for leaving feedback. How many of you have had a transaction to take over 60 days to resolve? If you send parts to Italy, they'll have to leave you feedback before they even get the parts!!!

And, as if to nail the lid on their coffin, they completely revised to categories so now ALL guitar amps are in the same category. So if you want a Marshall you have to search for "Marshall". Can you say keyword spamming?? I sure the motivation for this dumb move was some moron at Ebay arguing "Gee, if the buyer is looking for a '73 Marshall superlead, if we make him wade through 10000+ listings maybe he'll pick up a Crate Palomino while he's at it". It's not even greedy - just stupid. So of course all the searches I set up were useless (I started getting emails alerting me to hundreds of mustard colored blouses). I just deleted all of them. They can rot in hell.

With Meg Whitman you had wanton greed dictating policy, now the jokers left behind seem like the players in electric football, twirling around in circles.

What SHOULD have been done to eliminate seller retaliation is to give Ebayers TWO feedback ratings - one as a seller on and one as a buyer. This not only would solve the problem of sellers retaliating (if you are buying from someone you would obviously care more about their seller rating than buyer) it would also prevent crooked sellers from inflating their rating by buying a bunch of little crap on ebay.

I just realized I have about 76 unique transactions on ebay in the past year. That means with the retaliatory neg I got from a crook who sent me counterfeit parts, my feedback will be <99% BEFORE the extortion even begins. Can't wait

Hey, on a more positive note, I'll have more time to spend with the family :D

TubeGetter

Post by TubeGetter » Sun May 18, 2008 5:13 pm

There's no perfect system, but the old system was definitely heavily biased towards sellers. Since almost all of the complaints they get are from buyers about sellers, they had to do something drastic. It's not perfect, but I think it's about freakin time. The crappy sellers are going to be exposed much more easily now and sellers will have to try a little harder to work with buyers rather than being dictators about their heavily padded shipping costs, type of carrier you must use, etc.

KCA NOS Tubes

Post by KCA NOS Tubes » Sun May 18, 2008 5:17 pm

TubeGetter wrote:Notice how he doesn't accept PayPal anymore? Now he can take money and not send anything, and there's no re-course for you. If you don't receive anything and paid from PayPal, the seller must prove that the item was sent or the buyer will get a refund.
...and if the scammer is near critical mass (about to make the final kill and ready to lose his Paypal account under his current ID and ready to restart with another ID), all he has to do is remove funds from his account so Paypal can't take anything from him.

Paypal is FAR from a guarantee that the buyer will get a refund if something goes awry.
Mike Kropotkin
KCA NOS Tubes & Amp Repairs/Modifications
www.kcanostubes.com

Sparky

Post by Sparky » Sun May 18, 2008 5:37 pm

TubeGetter wrote:...rather than being dictators about their heavily padded shipping costs, type of carrier you must use, etc.
All that should be specified in the auction. If you don't like it, don't bid. That's why I never understood why shipping charge reasonableness was listed as a criterion on the extended seller ratings. I never bid on anything unless the shipping charges/conditions are clearly spelled out in the auction or an email (and that's quite a few auctions).

What pisses me off (among other things, obviously) are sellers that make you check out through a third party checkout and provide personal information to them. It kind of defeats the "security" of Paypal, no?

TubeGetter

Post by TubeGetter » Sun May 18, 2008 6:59 pm

It's not always listed and you often don't have time to email the seller and ask because you spot the auction with little time left. A lot of times they won't tell you until it's over. Also, they're not allowed to ask for excessive amounts (Fee Avoidance) but Ebay never really enforces it.

The shipping is just one example of seller problems. It's about time they did something like this.