Which new production 6550?

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Which new production 6550?

Post by Mars Hall » Thu May 06, 2010 6:44 am

I've received a 1982 JCM800 2203 for repair. It currently has GT 6550's, what would be the best new production replacement? Could this amp have come stock with 6550's?
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

Rockbert

Re: Which new production 6550?

Post by Rockbert » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm

It most likely came stock with 6550's if it was a USA model. I have tried new production Winged C 6550 and I can't say I'm overly happy with them. I was using these in a 4010 combo and they lasted for maybe 10 hours before getting microphonic and making odd noises. Granted that amp is hard on the tubes with the speaker so close, but I would have expected a lot more life. I also use old GE and Tung-sol 6550's (but not in this combo!) and the sound quality of those is definitely better, although the Winged C tubes don't sound bad, just a little flat by comparison.

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Mon May 10, 2010 4:58 am

I am interested too in buying 6550s...

I had decided to go with Winged C but it seems that most stores don't have them in stock (or they don't mention if and how they burn them in)...

How about the Valve Art 6550s (they are actually Shuguangs)?
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Wed May 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Freedom wrote:I am interested too in buying 6550s...

I had decided to go with Winged C but it seems that most stores don't have them in stock (or they don't mention if and how they burn them in)...

How about the Valve Art 6550s (they are actually Shuguangs)?
I found this link from Watford valves helpful, it's a few years old but still valid.

http://watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/docume ... ort_42.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed May 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Winged C 6550's are (were) the best new production. I even put them in my old SVT's. But latest word is that they are out of production. Supposedly they are moving all the tooling to a new building, but who knows if it will ever be set up and start production again......

I'm not holding my breath. Bad news.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu May 13, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks Mars Hall and George...

Actually there are stores that still have the C's in stock but they either don't burn in/match the tubes theirselves or i don't trust their way to do it (no, 20 minutes burn in is way too sort, sorry...lol)...

Anyway, pulled the trigger and ordered a quad of Tungsol 6550's... ;)

How about you Mars?

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu May 13, 2010 4:52 am

a friend designed a new 6550 amps and tried quite a few tubes. he prefers the new tung sols
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Thu May 13, 2010 6:02 am

Yeah well, i hope the Tungsols do the trick...they should be here in about 2 weeks or so but unfortunately i won't be able to give them a try very soon (my tech's schedule is full for the next month or so and i need to do some mods as well)...

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu May 13, 2010 6:16 am

Freedom wrote:Thanks Mars Hall and George...

Actually there are stores that still have the C's in stock but they either don't burn in/match the tubes theirselves or i don't trust their way to do it (no, 20 minutes burn in is way too sort, sorry...lol)...

Anyway, pulled the trigger and ordered a quad of Tungsol 6550's... ;)

How about you Mars?
I tried a set of SED =C= 2nds. This is part of the desription from the seller, "Some were returned from various amplifier manufacturers because they measured outside of their preferred range. While others may have physical irregularities, scratches on the bases or were simple exchanged returns. No matter what the reason, all of these tubes have been retested by us and fully met our stringent requirements."

Unfortunately, I recieved them yesterday and one of the 4 is a dud, the heater won't even light up. One of the others has a loose base but does read a bias voltage. I'm hoping the seller can make this right by overnighting me replacements, I have a customer that needs his amp this weekend.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 am

They are overnighting me the replacement tubes. Tube Depot Rocks!

HipKitty

Post by HipKitty » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 am

We've had really good results with the Tung Sol so far. Other than that, we've found the EH 6550's to be popular with some clients and are pretty dynamic in terms of tone and response. I was surprised by the EH's...when we started getting requests to use them, I anticipated early failure issues, but this really hasn't been the case.