Should I switch from EL34's?

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Should I switch from EL34's?

Post by Mars Hall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 am

basile865 wrote:Its kind of a weird analogy - it might make sense or it might not - but, its almost like playing on the twin reverb is like being able to think clearly - like you're fed and well rested, where as on the plexi its like your thoughts are slightly cloudier - you're a little tired and hungry - cant think as clearly. if that makes sense at all..... :lol:
Kind of like this?

Here's your brain...

Fender

Here's your brain on drugs...

Marshall.

:lol:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by basile865 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 pm

LOL I like that! :lol:

I mean don't get me wrong I love plexi's and probably always will. It just seems that the progression my style has been going through the fender with the xotic AC booster is really getting close to "the tone" Come to think of it I think I get why Hendrix went through a period of using dual showmans - which to my knowledge are just a head version of a twin reverb.

I think theres a sweet spot between the plexi and the twin reverb hiding in there somewhere though. The answer is probably the 66 jtm45/100 :lol: Not going to happen anytime soon for me. I have a feeling I'm going to try the 6550's when I get the scratch together and if they don't cut it I'll try the KT66's or possibly the KT88's.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 am

I hear that the 6550 is the way to go in regards to getting a cleaner and clearer tone out of a Plexi. Other 6550 type variations like the kt-88 etc would be broader in the mids (at least this is what I've gathered from vendors). A 6550 is gonna be stiffer and tighter.

If you can find it, listen to the Experience at the Royal Albert Hall (early '69) to me, that is a GREAT example of what 6550's sound like in a Plexi. Especially on 'Little Wing'. Hendrix got great chime on that.

By contrast, Fender amps like the showmans could get WAY to 'flubby' and boomy in its bottom end. Hendrix did achieve a sort of 'Fendery' type quality to his Plexi's when he went with the 6550's (I believe he wanted volume and longer tube life, so the company he went to knew that 6550's were much stronger powerful and long lived than el-34's. Hendrix, nor the company probably knew anything about the TONE and dynamic differences, though Hendrix probably realized real quickly that these heads of his with the 6550's stayed cleaner, clearer, and brighter than his previous amps (el-34's) ), as well as tightening up the sound as compared to a Fender, especially when being pushed hard.

I have actually liked alot of 'American'(6550) Super Lead user's of the '70's, like Kiss (I loved thier early stuff) and Al DiMeola.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)