JJ EL34L

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mats A

JJ EL34L

Post by Mats A » Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 am

Will the JJ EL34L´s work fine in my JVM 410H amp? Why are they called EL34L?

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: JJ EL34L

Post by stef » Mon May 09, 2011 10:37 am

it's E34L

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Fri May 13, 2011 10:07 am

Slightly higher output / little more rugged than the EL34 JJ Makes. It's a E34L as Stef points out.
The euro versions of the EL34 and EL84 with bigger voltage capacity for lack of a better term seem to use this letteering formula.

basically, it's a good quality El34 with a bit more headroom and takes a goodly amount of abuse. Decently priced as well.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee
Powered by Thorn and Kauer guitars
Scumback Speakers

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am

Another point is this, These tubes (JJ E34L) are the TIGHTEST sounding tube available. Some think of this as 'harsh' in certain amps. If you got anything after a JCM 800 2203/4, as far as GAIN goes , I'd steer clear. The JJ E34L arent my favorite tube in multiple gain stage amps (like '90's to present). Thier Kt-77 or 6ca7 would be better imo.

Certain more 'toneful' type circuits, that go for that perfect blend of openess and clarity work well with these tubes (JJ E34L). It's a fine line between 'loose' saginess and 'just right' warm crunch. The JJ E34L sort of 'cleans up' the loose feel in certain circuits.

Overall, a bit more headroom than a normal el-34. A bit (not much more) more bottom, and a great upper mid type response. VERY tight and articulate sounding compared to other el-34's (or any other tube for that matter).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Mats A

Post by Mats A » Thu May 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Would it be better if i got a pair of usual EL34`s? What do you recomen for my JVM410H and my AFD100 wich i´d like to try with EL34`s. Seems you can´t buy SED Winged C´s here in sweden.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat May 21, 2011 10:41 pm

I'd get a quad of the regular EH el-34's as a 'reference' point. I think these are as authentic to the 'famous' '60's and '70's versions as are available.

Its hard to tell or describe. You are just gonna have to try some different ones.

Thier is a feeling that you 'notice' in your hands (and your soul/mind) when swithching out put tubes. Some players are not really able to decipher (not necissarily a BAD thing, just not as perceptive in certain ways) a DIFFERENCE in tubes.

I'd get the EH tubes (el-34's) for the 'AFD' Marshall. Very brown sounding (great mids).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I would walk away from the jj e34l I do agree they can sound harsh in certain amp circuits i tried a pair in a 77mv 2x12 combo and they were harsh as hell in that amp.

Not tried Sed winged C's EH and sovtek el34s i wouldn't touch. 1 EH well the low end ones I wouldn't use cause i had a tech mate who kept getting a hiwatt higain amp in for repair cause it kept eatting el34s tried a diff brand and the thing fired back in to life and was more relaible.

Sovtek they are marmite I hate them and refuse to use em in my amps they can sound tight and compress too soon but they are not matched very well everytime i've used em they have drifted out of spec by 30mV.

JJ e34l everytime i've owned that tube something has always happened 1 i had a quad die in less than 5hrs, i had another quad in a laney supergroup drift through the roof to 56mV pertube and that amp runs 600V on the plates, took a pair and tried them in another 77 mv chasis and they became microphoic absolute garbage.

I use the valveart/shuguang el34b tubes never had 1 fail, never had them drift and they have been consistent in all my vintage amps they are matched typically with in 1mV of difference. My chinese tubes have that classic marshall sound to me through my 4x15 and 4x12s i get compliments on my tone every time
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

redozzman

Post by redozzman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 am

I have never had problems with the JJ E34L tubes, I prefer them over any current production tubes, in my Metro 100 watt superlead. The key to buying any tube is where you are getting them and how they are match and tested. By them from a respected dealer who puts them through the paces! One suggestion would be Lord Valve! Ive never had any problems with tubes Ive purchased from him.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:56 pm

The laney that had the jj e34ls came from bob dixon and I ordered my e34ls from george here at metroamp thing is no matter how you test a tube you can still get "cot death"

I am glad the jjs work for ya i've heard some players use them with fantastic results flemingmras has wicked tone with them but it's subject to guitar etc and jon uses emg pickups I am using custom pafs i made and my amps don't work with the jj.

I did a test with some mullards the jjs, sovteks, and the chinese in a 77mv 2x12 combo didn't alter bias however so that isn't really a fair test but the mullards came second and the sovteks actually sounded the best in that amp the el34b came third and jj was last.

I have never had a chinese tube fail so far and every player and every tech i've showed these to are impressed with the tones for me the chinese has the classic plexi/superbass tones while the jj is more aggressive and heavier in the mids if you are playing later 70's rock.

I put some el34bs in a jcm800 and that thing melts your face classic marshall tones for a 1986 marshall 100 watt out of all the el34 amps i have i will swear by the el34b but i'll always keep a stash of jjs etc in for going to studios with amps
John Ross

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I've got quite a bit of gain out of a 1987 circuit. Basically did a Bray-like mod running two channels parallel both to lead specs. But I boosted the mids also, sounds better with a strat to my ear.
I've got JJ E34L's and have been on the hunt for better tubes. I like the tight bottom end but I would like something more musical in the top end, not so harsh and "dry" sounding.
For reference, here's my rig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFIbOj17J4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep in mind I recorded this at low volume with an iphone camera.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:27 am

the shuguang el34b will give you that more in the top end the shuguang tubes have a nice bass well they are not the bassiest sounding of tubes they have a good mid-range sound and top which to me is what i go for in all my amps and i run p90s in my main guitar and it sits nice with them.
John Ross