Greenplating?

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

BashCoder

Greenplating?

Post by BashCoder » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:41 pm

I've heard of redplating and blue clouds, but greenplating? Two of my Valve Arts KT66 quad have plates that go phosphorous green when cranked. It's kind of like the blue haze, but localized to the surface of the plates. What causes this?

Bow
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Greenplating?

Post by Bow » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:42 am

BashCoder wrote:I've heard of redplating and blue clouds, but greenplating? Two of my Valve Arts KT66 quad have plates that go phosphorous green when cranked. It's kind of like the blue haze, but localized to the surface of the plates. What causes this?
Stems And Seeds.... ;)

J/K! :lol:

I have never heard of that either.. sounds kinda funky!
Bow

Shredder

Post by Shredder » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:31 pm

Maybe some bizarre chemical reaction from the high voltage on the stuff they coat these modern (yecch) tube plates with, kinda like fireworks sparklers???

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:24 pm

Shredder wrote:Maybe some bizarre chemical reaction from the high voltage on the stuff they coat these modern (yecch) tube plates with, kinda like fireworks sparklers???
It sure seems so. I'll try to capture a picture and post it. It looks like green paint under a black light, just not very bright and always in a state of flux.

(YES, I said "flux", but please no more pictures of flux capacitors from Back to the Future! :wink: )

killertone

Post by killertone » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:32 pm

My VA experience was not good. I had a quad of 6550As die on me within 30 minutes.