JJ-KT77- How many out there have tried them?

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

KT77dude

JJ-KT77- How many out there have tried them?

Post by KT77dude » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:41 pm

I have a quad in my 79 JMP 2203 with Sozos and I think they sound great. They seem to come closer to the tone of my NOS EL34 tubes than the other JJ offerings- I still like the EL34 and EL34L.

The other NOS besides Mullards for PT that I like are: Tesla and RFT/Seimens EL34's.

Hard to beat an RFT ECC83 in an older MV Marshall!

Goerge, are you going to carry them?

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:28 pm

What's the diff between the JJ EL-34, and the EL-34L?
I've only tried the "L" version.

KT77dude

Post by KT77dude » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:32 am

The L-version has about 15-20% more headroom and is a little thicker in the bass. It is a bit more agressive as well.

The JJ-KT-77 has the tightest bass of all 3. It was originally a 32 watt tube but after the 1st test run, it was changed to 25 watts due to problems with adjustable bias amps- like Mesa Boogie.

I like the bias of my EL34 tubes to be around 60% to 65%- closer to 60% for the most part. Mike at KCA explained to me that he likes it around 60% as well.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:56 am

I got a quad of these, but I haven't tried them yet. I've heard great things about them.
I just fired up the '67 that's going to Tonefest, maybe I can try them in there before it ships out on Friday.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

KT77dude

Post by KT77dude » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:40 am

I have yet to try them in my Superlead but they currrently reside in the 2203. they may sound a bit different in a NonMV Marshall but in a JMP 2203 they sound very balanced.

Crisp highs- not brittle. It has a nicer high end than the other JJ's- EL34 and EL34L.

The GT-Mullard EL34 I have yet to try but the KT-77 in the 2203 was the best sounding new production I have tried yet for this amp. It has more of an open tone that is more in line with my brown base NOS Tesla and RFT/Siemens EL34's.

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:11 am

I tried a pair of the GT-Mullard EL34s and to be honest, I like SEDs (winged C, real Svetlanas) just as much. I compared Seimens, SEDs and the GT-M and they all sounded very similar to each other. So I'm going to stay with the SEDs for most amps.

I find the JJs to be good sounding but I like the SED's a little more.
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...

KT77dude

Post by KT77dude » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 am

You should try the JJ-KT-77 if you haven't already.

If you want that Mullard tone, get some Tesla- EL34- brown base. They break up a little earlier than Mullards and have a little more bite. The Tesla's are a bit more thick sounding than the RFT/Siemens and take higher PV with ease. They also hard up better when you really crank the amp.

Why pay hundreds more when you can get the Tesla for around 250-275 a quad from good dealers.

tubetramp

Post by tubetramp » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:59 am

tesla for 275 i can get em for 180 but if you want to pay that for em be my guest.id like to add i was stupid enough to buy a duet of jj kt joke 77s they died within bias range at 525 not before sounding like absolute shit .the shuguangs wipped em flat out.mullards and teslas and siemens dont even have to be mentioned .they far outclass any jj .they are pure crap just lke the mullard reissues ,the old reissue ploy is exerted here.they are using a name that they dont have a clue of what it took to manufacture.gec mos valve forgot more about valves then jj has ever learned .i would strongly suggest whoever thinks these are great tubes ,should get out more often .they were a very big disapointment .i got mine because peter stroud and my old tech were ravin about em.i guess i missed the point. i didnt even get to try them in a second amp ,before one started squealin like a siren.they tried ...they should keep tryin ,sorry but my vote is the shuguang over all other new manufacture in kt 66 and el 34 .anyone wanting tesla or siemens i have great deals on em.i also put them against the shuguangs .why do all four of my 100s have shuguangs in em.it aint to save money i assure you.but buyer beware most vendors have so many 05 and 04 surplus they are not getting the 06 tooled on the gec mosvalve machinery .i stand by that.and about 200 customers will vouch.weve lost one quartet in all sales involving these tubes .i dont believe jj can claim the same thing .they are havin horrible trouble according to a reputable vendor that sells new stuff ,im told.steve at vht has converted all of his line to shuguang .he isnt the dullest tool on the shelf either.sorry for the rant if this was plexi the thread would get pulled .it aint.tt

rhinson

Post by rhinson » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:45 pm

hey tt, is the shuguangs you speak of the same tube that is the latest version chinese el34bstr sold by ruby tubes/magic parts? rh

JD

Post by JD » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:08 pm

I didn't like the sound of the JJ KT-77 but didn't have any reliability issues. It is what it is, just doesn't sound like an EL-34 but for some guys that may be a plus but I can't imagine how if you are into "the" Marshall sound.

I posted my review and comparison to EL-34 and 6CA7 tubes somewhere here on the forum.

KT77dude

Post by KT77dude » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:12 am

TT, I got mine NOS Tesla from Mike at KCA- among the best when it comes down to tubes.

My JJ-KT77 sound fine in my JMP 2203 and I like NOS EL34 and have plenty of them. They hang with my NOS in that particular amp. My Teslas and RFT/Siemens still sounded better but not as much as I would have thought.

Doug at Doug's Tubes likes them alot- KT77. They had to be changed from original specs to due amps like Mesa's. They did have an ajustable bias like a Marshall so JJ decided to make the specs closer to an EL34 due to non-ajustable bias amps.

I also like the Ruby-BSTR- EL34- have a duet in my Wizard Vintage Classic.

Most techs and professional players I know use JJ to tour with. Why- They like the tone, last a long time, and are road worthy.

TT, I don't know why you hate JJ so much but their reputation speaks for themselves on the road. Ask AC/DC, Aerosmith, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, etc.

Techs- I can name many of the best in the business who use JJ. They love NOS but know that JJ's are great for road use.

TT. one last thing: why don't you use paragraphs in your posts? It would make things easier to read.

Guitar-Sam
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Guitar-Sam » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:30 am

[quote="KT77dude"]Most techs and professional players I know use JJ to tour with.
I wonder if TT used um when he played for DLR. :?: :wink:
74' Stratocaster
Several Frankenstrats
Orange Tiny Terror & PPC 1x12 cab
Marshall 2210
69' Marshall 4x12 "B" cab
Dean Markley CD-60

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:14 am

http://www.metroamp.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

But I've heared, that JJ meanwhile have changed the characteristic of the KT77, so that it's sounding more EL34-ish - so maybe the current produced KT77's soundwise are no longer comparable with the test quad I've had in January. The 'new ones' I haven't tested yet.

But still let me add, that I think that the KT77 might be a good tube for bass players, however not for guitar IMO.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

St August

Post by St August » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 am

KT77dude wrote:TT, I got mine NOS Tesla from Mike at KCA- among the best when it comes down to tubes.

My JJ-KT77 sound fine in my JMP 2203 and I like NOS EL34 and have plenty of them. They hang with my NOS in that particular amp. My Teslas and RFT/Siemens still sounded better but not as much as I would have thought.

Doug at Doug's Tubes likes them alot- KT77. They had to be changed from original specs to due amps like Mesa's. They did have an ajustable bias like a Marshall so JJ decided to make the specs closer to an EL34 due to non-ajustable bias amps.

I also like the Ruby-BSTR- EL34- have a duet in my Wizard Vintage Classic.

Most techs and professional players I know use JJ to tour with. Why- They like the tone, last a long time, and are road worthy.

TT, I don't know why you hate JJ so much but their reputation speaks for themselves on the road. Ask AC/DC, Aerosmith, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, etc.

Techs- I can name many of the best in the business who use JJ. They love NOS but know that JJ's are great for road use.

TT. one last thing: why don't you use paragraphs in your posts? It would make things easier to read.
He dont know him vawee well do he.... :o

Metal Handles

Tube Tramp's Experience

Post by Metal Handles » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:49 am

Some get it, some don't. :wink: